mlb depth charts
    cot's contracts - team page
    cot's contracts - 2014 spreadsheet
    mlbtraderumors - team page
    fangraphs - team page
    fangraphs - park factors

prospects - rhd, with team highlighted
    prospects - top 10 - Jason Parks, Baseball Prospectus
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

The Angels have yet to make their usual big splash free agent signing this off-season. Where do you think they'll spend their money--starting pitching (Joe Blanton still under contract, woof), or outfield?

I like the David Freese trade. Actually, I like it for both teams, but more for Anaheim because 3B was a black hole for them previously.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

Here is my question about the Halos. What is their plan for Kole Calhoun?

On one hand, this is a potent offense. The team weakness is SP. On the other, they seem to spend money covering spots which block prospects. KC did well for them down the stretch.

2013 .274/.342/.448, 8 HR in 222 PA. He just turned 27 and has a usable corner OF glove. Projecting his 2013 stats to full time play in the #8 slot gives

550 PA 20 HRs, 72 Runs, 79 RBI, 5 SB, .282 BA, .790 OPS.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

The question is whether that projection is a fair one. Was his 2013 a sign of things to come, or just an early career outlier? Don't get me wrong, I like Calhoun; I'm only posing a question.

Also, ordinarily I would say that those projected numbers aren't so great for a corner OF, but when your center fielder can put up numbers like Trout can, you may not have to have absolute hammers in both right and left.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

Calhoun's pretty darned good. I think those are very reasonable projections by onejayhawk, and he's got a chance to bust through them a bit, too. His minor league stats have been consistently great, and he's just the type of prospect who can slip under the radar because he wasn't on a Top 100 list. He's got a great all-around toolset, and you'd be hard-pressed to find someone say anything negative about the kid.

I could see him swiping double digit steals, for one thing. I also think he could work his way up to the top of the Halos' lineup quite a bit (he was batting second fairly frequently at the end of 2013, for example), so his Runs total should be boosted as a result. In short, he's a guy I'm pretty high on for 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
            The question is whether that projection is a fair one. Was his 2013 a sign of things to come, or just an early career outlier? Don't get me wrong, I like Calhoun; I'm only posing a question.

Also, ordinarily I would say that those projected numbers aren't so great for a corner OF, but when your center fielder can put up numbers like Trout can, you may not have to have absolute hammers in both right and left.
            Hardly an outlier and actual numbers, not projections. Those are his rookie stats, in full season format. They would place him second on the Angels' OF, after Trout and ahead of Trumbo. Calhoun's MLE are .303/.366/.501.

Calhoun is a tweener. His career has been handicapped by his stature, under six feet, and his defense, strictly corner OF. For years the hitting has been plenty good enough for a full time MLB glove man.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
              Hardly an outlier and actual numbers, not projections. Those are his rookie stats, in full season format. They would place him second on the Angels' OF, after Trout and ahead of Trumbo. Calhoun's MLE are .303/.366/.501.

Calhoun is a tweener. His career has been handicapped by his stature, under six feet, and his defense, strictly corner OF. For years the hitting has been plenty good enough for a full time MLB glove man.

J
              I understand how you got your projection. The question for any player is whether one partial season's numbers can be fairly projected over a full season, given how pitchers adjust. I don't have an answer, but I suspect that simple multiplication is not necessarily a good way.

I like the guy, but I don't know if he'll really put up those kind of numbers as a full-time, full-year player.

-- William James

Comment

His minor league stats are good, but certainly not eye popping. Add in the fact that he's always been pretty old for the league that he's been in and I tend to agree with DQ...could be useful, could also be a 4th outfielder. Interesting to see that he skipped AA ball altogether, so that might work in his favor...
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  His minor league stats are good, but certainly not eye popping. Add in the fact that he's always been pretty old for the league that he's been in and I tend to agree with DQ...could be useful, could also be a 4th outfielder. Interesting to see that he skipped AA ball altogether, so that might work in his favor...
                  Considering the declining offense around baseball these days, his minor league stats look pretty eye-popping to me. And it's the all-around ability that really makes him stand out -- he's above average to good at practically everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                    Considering the declining offense around baseball these days, his minor league stats look pretty eye-popping to me. And it's the all-around ability that really makes him stand out -- he's above average to good at practically everything.
                    Declining offense in the PCL???? Man, that's news to me...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                      I understand how you got your projection. The question for any player is whether one partial season's numbers can be fairly projected over a full season, given how pitchers adjust. I don't have an answer, but I suspect that simple multiplication is not necessarily a good way.

I like the guy, but I don't know if he'll really put up those kind of numbers as a full-time, full-year player.
                      It's a valid concern, but his minor league numbers were even better.

How is a an MLE of .303/.366/.501 not eyepopping? Bear in mind that adjusts for the difference in pitching quality and ballpark effects. That said, my fear is exactly that the Angels make him a 4th OF/DH. They already have Trumbo in that role.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

How is a an MLE of .303/.366/.501 not eyepopping? Bear in mind that adjusts for the difference in pitching quality and ballpark effects. That said, my fear is exactly that the Angels make him a 4th OF/DH. They already have Trumbo in that role.

J
                        Well, Trumbo is gone, but I agree with you. Calhoun (whom I do have on my team) had had above average stats in the minors and I would like to see what he can do full-time over a whole year. I hope the Angels give him that chance.
                        拖裤子,
                        放屁

Literally means "pulling your pants down to fart" which is a Chinese idiom for "wasted effort." Makes sense to me!

Comment

It's a valid concern, but his minor league numbers were even better.

J
                          Because I don't believe in MLE? I think that it's nothing more than a rough guess. And they traded Trumbo, who was a starter, IIRC.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I like the Trumbo trade for them, but they need Pujols and/or Hamilton to bounce back or they will be WAY short on power. Still, a rotation of Weaver, CJ, Santiago, Skaggs and Garrett Richards is pretty solid. I think they still have another hitter signing to make, with Trout/Hamilton/Calhoun as full time starters in the outfield and nobody to DH.

Comment

Back in the day, ie early 80s, the Angels owner said, "Baseball players are like restaurants. You love the expensive ones and hate the overpriced ones." He never learned to tell one from the other.

Because I don't believe in MLE? I think that it's nothing more than a rough guess. And they traded Trumbo, who was a starter, IIRC.
                              Previous major league performance is not much better than a rough guess. Just let it go that his minor league numbers were not grossly inflated by the PCL. It is possible to adjust for that.

J
                              Last edited by onejayhawk; 12-16-2013, 11:03 AM.
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                              X