Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
    Isn't everyone the way they are?
    True, but that does not answer cleo's question as to why.

You are the way you are is different than why are you the way you are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      True, but that does not answer cleo's question as to why.

You are the way you are is different than why are you the way you are.
      I was more going for the idea that you are the way you are because you don't have any choice. You can't be not the way you are - your future self can be different than your current self, but your current self cannot be different from itself.

So the why are you how you are is tautological

Also I've realized I've taken another thread off the rails...

Comment

• Another HR for Ohtani tonite (#39). He set the record for most MLB HRs by a Japanese player a while ago, breaking Hideki Matsui's mark set in 2004 (31). Ohtani has a good shot at breaking Matsui's RBI record of 116 set in 2005. Currently, he has 86, which puts him on a pace for 118 for the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
          Another HR for Ohtani tonite (#39). He set the record for most MLB HRs by a Japanese player a while ago, breaking Hideki Matsui's mark set in 2004 (31). Ohtani has a good shot at breaking Matsui's RBI record of 116 set in 2005. Currently, he has 86, which puts him on a pace for 118 for the season.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Another HR for Ohtani tonite, #40. That is the franchise record for HRs in a season for a LH hitter, breaking Reggie Jackson's mark.

Comment

Another HR for Ohtani tonite, #40. That is the franchise record for HRs in a season for a LH hitter, breaking Reggie Jackson's mark.
              He is just amazing. We may be witnessing the single best season by a baseball player ever, all things considered. Not even Babe Ruth did what Ohtani is doing right now.

Edit: And holy cow how wrong I was about Ohtani, who I thought would max out as a good DH. I had no idea.
              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                He is just amazing. We may be witnessing the single best season by a baseball player ever, all things considered. Not even Babe Ruth did what Ohtani is doing right now.
                He looks like a better version of the 2-way Babe Ruth.

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                Edit: And holy cow how wrong I was about Ohtani, who I thought would max out as a good DH. I had no idea.
                I thought he'd be a solid average to above-average hitter w above-average power, getting around 350 ABs a year. I never imagined he'd be this good of a hitter in MLB. And he already has 409 ABs this year. He's better this year as a hitter in MLB than he ever was in Japan. I thought he could be a TOR pitcher in MLB. He's actually been mildly disappointing as a pitcher, but that may be mostly because he's been injured a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post

According to Razzball, he is currently having the 15th best season of all time. $45 for his hitting, $12 for his pitching.

Comment

He looks like a better version of the 2-way Babe Ruth.

I thought he'd be a solid average to above-average hitter w above-average power, getting around 350 ABs a year. I never imagined he'd be this good of a hitter in MLB. And he already has 409 ABs this year. He's better this year as a hitter in MLB than he ever was in Japan. I thought he could be a TOR pitcher in MLB. He's actually been mildly disappointing as a pitcher, but that may be mostly because he's been injured a lot.
                    Yeah, that was my read too. The injuries have derailed him some as a pitcher, but coming back this year just on the mound has been impressive. But what he is doing at the plate blows me away. He is arguably the best hitter in baseball this year (him or Vlad Jr) and he is also one of the better arms. Truly incredible.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                      According to Razzball, he is currently having the 15th best season of all time. $45 for his hitting, $12 for his pitching.
                      In a pts league like mine, he is even better. He will end up with the most points ever in our league, but it is a weekly league, so the owner only got his hitting or pitching stats each week. Still, just as a hitter he is currently edging out Vlad Jr for top hitter in our scoring system.

Comment

• Ohtani just pulled. Owners may begin panic sequences.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                          Ohtani just pulled. Owners may begin panic sequences.
                          Hit in the wrist, looked to be in quite a bit of pain.
                          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                            Ohtani just pulled. Owners may begin panic sequences.
                            The Shoh must go on.
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• From the “We All Saw This Coming” department:

“Mike Trout is still battling soreness in his strained right calf, according to Angels manager Joe Maddon, and could be nearing the point where he is shut down for the rest of the season.

“It’s a possibility,” Maddon said of potentially shutting down the three-time MVP, who hasn’t played since May 17.

Maddon continued: “We’re probably getting closer to having to say something like that. But he still wants to continue to fight, and we’re going to honor his wishes. However Mike sees this, we’re going to go with it that way.”

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                                From the “We All Saw This Coming” department:

“Mike Trout is still battling soreness in his strained right calf, according to Angels manager Joe Maddon, and could be nearing the point where he is shut down for the rest of the season.

“It’s a possibility,” Maddon said of potentially shutting down the three-time MVP, who hasn’t played since May 17.

Maddon continued: “We’re probably getting closer to having to say something like that. But he still wants to continue to fight, and we’re going to honor his wishes. However Mike sees this, we’re going to go with it that way.”
                                https://www.latimes.com/sports/angel...ws-odds-scores
                                Trout has been my favorite MLB player since he started , but damn the dude is becoming fragile.
                                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                                X