2K24: Miami Marlins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
    I'm not here to disagree with your assessment of the quality of the signings, just your statements about the amount of dollars spent. People have to realize that the game is now simply awash in money, each and every franchise has loads of cash, enough to sign virtually anyone they wish. And is the players don't get some of it in the form of increased contracts and free agent deals, it goes into the owners pockets. Now a businessman is certainly entitled to make a profit, but in the entertainment industry, which sports is a part of, I'd demand that the product be as good as possible. And that comes with increased spending...
    I think that you have exagerated the extent of the influx of cash. Yes teams, including the Marlins and Rays, have more money but only some teams are "awash" in money. To this point the Florida teams do not have the big money cable deals that some teams have and their attendance is very low.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
      I think that you have exagerated the extent of the influx of cash. Yes teams, including the Marlins and Rays, have more money but only some teams are "awash" in money. To this point the Florida teams do not have the big money cable deals that some teams have and their attendance is very low.
      Just from the national baseball contracts, each team will get an estimated 25 million dollars MORE than they did last year. Now maybe awash in money isn't a phrase that you like, but how would you like your team to spend that money? Now, I think that the M's did it well, they took that as essentially "found" money, and invested it in a product (Cano), who will help them both on and off the field. More wins, generates more fans, more fans generate more dollars, etc. It's a proven business model, and it should work...

Fangraphs has a good article here...

Goodbye, 2013 season. Hello, Hot Stove. Stop sobbing. Really, stop. We’re going to get through this. There will be qualifying offers, declined options, over-the-top free agent signings and rumors…
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Just from the national baseball contracts, each team will get an estimated 25 million dollars MORE than they did last year. Now maybe awash in money isn't a phrase that you like, but how would you like your team to spend that money? Now, I think that the M's did it well, they took that as essentially "found" money, and invested it in a product (Cano), who will help them both on and off the field. More wins, generates more fans, more fans generate more dollars, etc. It's a proven business model, and it should work...

Fangraphs has a good article here...

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-n...2014-payrolls/
        I like the article but I already knew about the extra national TV contract money. I certainly do not disagree with the idea of spending that money to better the team. The question is how should that money be invested to best improve the team. The Marlins needed a catcher they got Salty. They also signed Jones (here I think they made a mistake). So far approximately 10 of the 25 million has been spent on extra payroll leaving 15 million. The Marlins were apparently competitive for Uribe. What available free agent can they sign that will make a noticeable improvement in the team for 15 million?

Comment

I like the article but I already knew about the extra national TV contract money. I certainly do not disagree with the idea of spending that money to better the team. The question is how should that money be invested to best improve the team. The Marlins needed a catcher they got Salty. They also signed Jones (here I think they made a mistake). So far approximately 10 of the 25 million has been spent on extra payroll leaving 15 million. The Marlins were apparently competitive for Uribe. What available free agent can they sign that will make a noticeable improvement in the team for 15 million?
          Choo is probably out of their reach, but Garza, Rodney, Balfour, Cruz, and Ubaldo are all in their reach. Now that's not saying that I advocate signing all of these guys, but there are players out there that would certainly help the Marlins for this season, and in the future. And don't forget that they shed some salary as well, so they actually have more than that 15 million...

The best thing that they can do with that money is to lock up Stanton to a long term deal before he gets too expensive...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Choo is probably out of their reach, but Garza, Rodney, Balfour, Cruz, and Ubaldo are all in their reach. Now that's not saying that I advocate signing all of these guys, but there are players out there that would certainly help the Marlins for this season, and in the future. And don't forget that they shed some salary as well, so they actually have more than that 15 million...

The best thing that they can do with that money is to lock up Stanton to a long term deal before he gets too expensive...
            Why on Earth would Stanton want to do something like that? Why be tied down long-term to an owner who is clearly disinterested in winning, but who wants only to eke out a profit? Better to not sign, force a trade, and either sign long-term with a franchise that does care about winning, or go on the free agent market and see just what one's market value is.

And why would the Marlins want to make such a deal? It could hamper their ability to dump him for "prospects" (garbage) a year or two from now.
            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
              Why on Earth would Stanton want to do something like that? Why be tied down long-term to an owner who is clearly disinterested in winning, but who wants only to eke out a profit? Better to not sign, force a trade, and either sign long-term with a franchise that does care about winning, or go on the free agent market and see just what one's market value is.

And why would the Marlins want to make such a deal? It could hamper their ability to dump him for "prospects" (garbage) a year or two from now.
              Much easier to trade a guy who's got his arbitration and perhaps a free agent your or two locked up. As for why Stanton would do it? Money my friend, money...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

As for why Stanton would do it? Money my friend, money...
                sure, but you can't say they should "lock him up before he gets too expensive" and that at the same time. I gotta think Stanton (or his agent) is smart enough to not give them a discount or even give them an artificially high number. If he has any confidence in his ability, the idea that he'd give them a discount and sign a LTC just to get the big paycheck a year or two earlier is ridiculous. It has to be possible to get a seven-figure loan against future earnings if he really wants a payout now.
                In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                  sure, but you can't say they should "lock him up before he gets too expensive" and that at the same time. I gotta think Stanton (or his agent) is smart enough to not give them a discount or even give them an artificially high number. If he has any confidence in his ability, the idea that he'd give them a discount and sign a LTC just to get the big paycheck a year or two earlier is ridiculous. It has to be possible to get a seven-figure loan against future earnings if he really wants a payout now.
                  A good agent will counsel his client with one word--"patience". Don't take a long-term deal with an owner who does not intend to build a winner and who will trade you to someone who thinks your contract is a bargain. Be patient, just play, go to arbitration as necessary, and either sign with your new team AFTER you're traded or become a free agent and see what you're REALLY worth.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                  -- William James

Comment

If Mariners were smart, they'd take this package that is rumored for Price & send it to Miami for Stanton. Miami would be foolish to turn down Walker, Franklin or Miller, & anything else for Stanton. Kid is not re-signing there and Stanton is exactly what Seattle needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                      If Mariners were smart, they'd take this package that is rumored for Price & send it to Miami for Stanton. Miami would be foolish to turn down Walker, Franklin or Miller, & anything else for Stanton. Kid is not re-signing there and Stanton is exactly what Seattle needs.
                      Correct, it would be a miracle if Stanton re-signs with the Marlins. Also they could sign a starting pitcher who would make them a few games better this year but that wouldn't get more fans to come to their games. They twice won the World Series and in those years they didn't get great support. Huizenga's theory was to buy a great free agent team and see if the area would support it. They won a world series-he saw the response wasn't there so he broke up and sold the team. Do you think getting Garza would make any difference to their support?

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                        Amen, brother.

Comment

Correct, it would be a miracle if Stanton re-signs with the Marlins. Also they could sign a starting pitcher who would make them a few games better this year but that wouldn't get more fans to come to their games. They twice won the World Series and in those years they didn't get great support. Huizenga's theory was to buy a great free agent team and see if the area would support it. They won a world series-he saw the response wasn't there so he broke up and sold the team. Do you think getting Garza would make any difference to their support?
                          Honestly, I think that they need to change their image in order to get support...the problem is that they won the titles, and then almost immediately started dismantling the team. They need to show the fans of Miman that they're committed to winning in the long run, building a team that they can follow. Not just continue stealing their money with the occasional burst of spending. You've got the best young pitcher I've seen in years, and one of the most feared young hitters in the game. Commit to both of them and build around them, show the population that you've changed and the support will eventually come.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Honestly, I think that they need to change their image in order to get support...the problem is that they won the titles, and then almost immediately started dismantling the team. They need to show the fans of Miman that they're committed to winning in the long run, building a team that they can follow. Not just continue stealing their money with the occasional burst of spending. You've got the best young pitcher I've seen in years, and one of the most feared young hitters in the game. Commit to both of them and build around them, show the population that you've changed and the support will eventually come.
                            You forgot the first and most important thing--sell the team to an owner who will at least pretend he or she is trying to win. The people of Southeast Florida will never believe the current owner again.

-- William James

Comment

They also signed Furcal for about what they paid Pierre and Polanco (who are gone). They lose Lomo's salary which was probably close to the minimum but Stanton will get a big raise in arbitration.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                                You forgot the first and most important thing--sell the team to an owner who will at least pretend he or she is trying to win. The people of Southeast Florida will never believe the current owner again.
                                take it from a certifiable Marlins fan ----- THIS!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X