Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2K19: Miami Marlins

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid Controller Jacobs's Avatar
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

They are reportedly shopping LoMo, which would mean there is exactly one interesting hitter on this team. I like Yelich but I want to see some power or some speed or something before I go crazy.

The starting pitchers are really interesting - Fernandez obviously, but Eovaldi, Turner and Henderson Alvarez.

Which guy from High A will make an impact for them this year?

Rumor has it that the Marlins are talking to Garrett Jones. If true, this would probably mean they're going to deal Morrison.

Other than signing Saltalamacchia, the Marlins haven't done anything of note this off-season. I thought the Clippers in their "prime" were the classic going-nowhere-but-content-to-make-small-money backwater in the major sports; I stand corrected.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

From Rotoworld--

"Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that the Marlins have discussed internally the possibility of trading for Sean Rodriguez to fill their void at third base.
    The Rays are known to have interest in Logan Morrison, whom the Marlins are expected to deal, so the two teams could easily line up for trade purposes. The 28-year-old Rodriguez, who has been known to destroy left-handed pitching, is a career .228/.304/.360 hitter."

Rodriguez is a lifetime .252/.352/.398/.750 hitter vs. LHP, which to me hardly qualifies as "has been known to destroy left-handed pitching". Against RHP, he's .211/.268/.335/.603. For this as a regular 3B, they'd give up the highly-regarded (but injury-prone and probably overrated) Morrison?

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Sean Rodriguez isn't an everyday player. He cannot hit RH

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight J View Post
    Sean Rodriguez isn't an everyday player. He cannot hit RH
    The Marlins are reportedly interested in signing Juan Uribe to play 3B. That would be more like it. The drawback is that Uribe wants a three-year deal, which I doubt Miami will give him.

-- William James

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
    From Rotoworld--

"Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that the Marlins have discussed internally the possibility of trading for Sean Rodriguez to fill their void at third base.
    The Rays are known to have interest in Logan Morrison, whom the Marlins are expected to deal, so the two teams could easily line up for trade purposes. The 28-year-old Rodriguez, who has been known to destroy left-handed pitching, is a career .228/.304/.360 hitter."

Rodriguez is a lifetime .252/.352/.398/.750 hitter vs. LHP, which to me hardly qualifies as "has been known to destroy left-handed pitching". Against RHP, he's .211/.268/.335/.603. For this as a regular 3B, they'd give up the highly-regarded (but injury-prone and probably overrated) Morrison?
    As a Marlins fan, I read this report with some disgust as I also felt that Morrison should fetch more back than Rodriguez. Perhaps if Tampa threw in a prospect they could work out a fair deal, but hey look what the Marlins took from Tampa for a decent shortstop before last year.

From Rotoworld--

"ESPN's Buster Olney hears Michael Young is drawing interest from four different teams.
    Young's days of being a productive starter are probably over, but the 37-year-old can still be a useful bench player for someone. He hit .279/.335/.395 between the Phillies and Dodgers in 2013 while playing primarily at third base. The Orioles and Red Sox were said to be interested in the infielder earlier in the offseason, but it's unclear which four teams are currently in on Young."

Miami was my first thought here. The Marlins could do worse than Young on a one-year deal. I'm not saying he's much good anymore, but he's better than what they have now and probably wouldn't cost much.

-- William James

I understand why you feel this way but I hope they find another solution. Young would be an expensive player who I don't think would be better than AAAA solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
    From Rotoworld--

"ESPN's Buster Olney hears Michael Young is drawing interest from four different teams.
    Young's days of being a productive starter are probably over, but the 37-year-old can still be a useful bench player for someone. He hit .279/.335/.395 between the Phillies and Dodgers in 2013 while playing primarily at third base. The Orioles and Red Sox were said to be interested in the infielder earlier in the offseason, but it's unclear which four teams are currently in on Young."

Miami was my first thought here. The Marlins could do worse than Young on a one-year deal. I'm not saying he's much good anymore, but he's better than what they have now and probably wouldn't cost much.

We know what Young is at this point: a defensive butcher who hits into a lot of double plays. The Marlins can find someone else to do that for way cheaper.