No announcement yet.

2K24: Texas Rangers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Banister canned, Don Wakamatsu named interim manager.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      Jeff Banister canned, Don Wakamatsu named interim manager.
      Banister goes from AL manager of the year in 2015 to fired in 2018. That's the life of a major league baseball manager.
      Last edited by madducks; 09-21-2018, 02:42 PM.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
        Banister goes from AL manager of the year in 2015 to fired in 2018. That's the life of a major league baseball coach.
        Had little to do with their record as well.

Reports of problems communicating with players. Players would regularly be told they are getting a day off and then show up in the lineup with no notice (and the inverse). Pitchers were unaware of when they would next start, etc. Article came out yesterday saying Banny had a 50/50 shot of being back next year and I suspect that tipped their hand leading to the early firing.

Comment

• The Rangers acquire Drew Smyly from the Cubs for whatever the Rangers feel like giving them.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
            The Rangers acquire Drew Smyly from the Cubs for whatever the Rangers feel like giving them.
            There's actually some very interesting strategy behind this trade.

As part of the Hamels trade last year, Texas picks up Hamels' $6mm buyout. But that only happens if he gets bought out. If the Cubs pick up the final year option for $20mm, then Texas owes nothing.

So the Cubs go to the Rangers and say we like Hamels but we don't have much room in our budget for $20mm. We'll pick up the option and you won't owe us $6mm, IF you take the Smyly contract off our hands.

The Rangers have only Mike Minor in their rotation, and they need to gather some arms just to field a team next year. Smyly's contract is for $7mm next year, so the net cost to Texas is just $1mm since by making this deal they will not have to buy out Hamels.

Winners all around.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
              Winners all around.
              Especially batters who will hit against Smyly in Texas.

But I'm not bitter.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the Rangers have hired Dodgers' third base coach Chris Woodward to be their next manager.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Blue Moon

Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                    There's actually some very interesting strategy behind this trade.

As part of the Hamels trade last year, Texas picks up Hamels' $6mm buyout. But that only happens if he gets bought out. If the Cubs pick up the final year option for $20mm, then Texas owes nothing.

So the Cubs go to the Rangers and say we like Hamels but we don't have much room in our budget for $20mm. We'll pick up the option and you won't owe us $6mm, IF you take the Smyly contract off our hands.

The Rangers have only Mike Minor in their rotation, and they need to gather some arms just to field a team next year. Smyly's contract is for $7mm next year, so the net cost to Texas is just $1mm since by making this deal they will not have to buy out Hamels.

Winners all around.
                    Good analysis.

Comment

• Smyly is an innings horse.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                        Smyly is an innings horse.

J
                        Neigh
                        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                          Neigh
                          No one said they would be good innings.

J
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

No one said they would be good innings.

J
                            I also did not think he would be the staff ace. Yikes. The rotation:
                            • Mike Minor - Returned to SP after tearing the labrum in his pitching shoulder. He may actually be the ace such as they have one.
                            • Drew Smyly (see previous posts) - returned in '18 from TJ surgery
                            • Shelby Miller - Another '17 TJ. He managed 16 IP with a 10.69 ERA in '18
                            • Edinson Volquez - Completes the 2017 TJ trifecta. In addition to being 35 years old, EV never pitched in '18
                            • Lance Lynn - His TJ was a year earlier, so he just sucks

This is the semi official rotation. if not for the Angels last season...

Is there anything in this rotation worth even a sniff?

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

I also did not think he would be the staff ace. Yikes. The rotation:
                              • Mike Minor - Returned to SP after tearing the labrum in his pitching shoulder. He may actually be the ace such as they have one.
                              • Drew Smyly (see previous posts) - returned in '18 from TJ surgery
                              • Shelby Miller - Another '17 TJ. He managed 16 IP with a 10.69 ERA in '18
                              • Edinson Volquez - Completes the 2017 TJ trifecta. In addition to being 35 years old, EV never pitched in '18
                              • Lance Lynn - His TJ was a year earlier, so he just sucks

This is the semi official rotation. if not for the Angels last season...

Is there anything in this rotation worth even a sniff?

J
                              In only leagues I would roster Minor.

I have him for $8 he may make my last spot (11 keepers). If I had 12 I would keep him.

Comment

• Shelby Miller too. As Paul Sporer would say, throw a buck at him.

Still, that's ugly.

J
                                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                                X