No announcement yet.

2K24: Texas Rangers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rangers have signed 4th round pick Brock Porter to a bonus just under $4 million.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• From RW:
      According to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, the Rangers have fired manager Chris Woodward.
      Woodward is out after four seasons in Texas. He received a contract extension last November, which would've kept him with the Rangers through the 2023 season and also included a club option for 2024 as well. The Rangers have failed to live up to the lofty expectations a flurry of high-profile offseason moves, most notably signing Corey Seager and Marcus Semien to massive contracts in free agency, generated heading into this season, going a pedestrian 51-63 (.447) with Woodward at the helm. He exits with a lackluster 211-287 record since 2019. Tony Beasley will take over as the Rangers interim manager for the remainder of the season.

Comment

• Who had lofty expectations? They need a much better pitching staff before expectations are appropriate.

Comment

• The Rangers have fired president of baseball operations Jon Daniels.

Chris Young, who had been serving as executive vice president and general manager, will take over "all aspects of the Rangers’ baseball operations department."
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
            Who had lofty expectations? They need a much better pitching staff before expectations are appropriate.
            In this case, lofty expectations would be .500 for the season. They are not close. It's worth noting that they have a positive run differential so it may not all be Woodward's fault.

While the pitching is weak, the defense they can put out will make a lot of pitchers look better. Offense, not so much.
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
              In this case, lofty expectations would be .500 for the season. They are not close. It's worth noting that they have a positive run differential so it may not all be Woodward's fault.

While the pitching is weak, the defense they can put out will make a lot of pitchers look better. Offense, not so much.
              I'm not sure why .500 matters vs .459. If that was truly the reason it was a mistake.

If ownership was reasonable they'd see that this was not a team with .500 of talent. Now next year, they have some talent graduating and another offseason to sign some free agents, .500 should be expected. But this year.... Nope.

Comment

• And the 1st MLB player to have 20 HR and 20 SB this year is... Adolis Garcia, of course! Teammate Marcus Semien is 1 SB away, as is Kyle Tucker, and Julio Rodriguez is 1 HR away.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                  And the 1st MLB player to have 20 HR and 20 SB this year is... Adolis Garcia, of course! Teammate Marcus Semien is 1 SB away, as is Kyle Tucker, and Julio Rodriguez is 1 HR away.
                  Still pretty amazing. It’s like Howard Johnson going 30-30 back in the day. Not exactly expected but not a total fluke either.

Comment

• Martin Perez w a great outing at Coors today: 6.0 IP, 0 ER, 4 H, 1 BB, 7 K and headed for a W w a 9-1 lead in the 7th inning.

It seemingly never fails. When a SP of mine is scheduled to pitch at Coors, if I reserve him, which I usually do, he has a great outing. If I leave him active, he gets clobbered, as happened w the Mikolas disaster 2 weeks ago. Actually, I had originally neglected to reserve him, then late Sunday night I noticed he had a start at Coors this week and I emailed a set of revised lineup changes to our commish (that's how we do it in this league). He actually neglected to implement my revised changes and I had to email him again to sit Perez. Sometimes being diligent backfires.

Comment

• Semien w SB #20 today, making him the 3rd 20-20 player in MLB this year.

Comment

• Why no Josh Jung today?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Why no Josh Jung today?
                          Dunno; maybe they’re giving him until end of AAA season given his injury?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                            Dunno; maybe they’re giving him until end of AAA season given his injury?
                            That'd make sense; I think he has only about 20 games in at AAA.

I was really impressed on how the Rangers ruthlessly went after Devers on defense last night.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Jung gets the call, will debut on Friday

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                                Jung gets the call, will debut on Friday
                                Batting 7th. Ezequiel Duran demoted to AAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X