No announcement yet.

2K24: New York Mets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hear the deal is on life support. And as a Mets fan I hope so!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharky View Post
      I hear the deal is on life support. And as a Mets fan I hope so!
      I agree Sharky. I like taking a flyer on Paddack, but not at the cost of taking on Hosmer even at half his salary. And adding Dom while getting back Pagan would make the deal worse, not better.
      2021 Auction Anatomy
      2021 Keeper Decisions
      2020 Auction Anatomy
      2020 Pre-Auction
      2015 Auction Anatomy
      2014 Auction Anatomy
      2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
      RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

• Yeah I know, I'd dead. It wasn't a good deal for NY anyhow, but hey moving my 3 least favorite Padres for cap room worked for me--maybe we can get the cubs to go for it...
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Unsigned Michael Conforto, who famously turned down a 9-figure extension and then an $18.4m qualifying offer, had shoulder surgery Wednesday and is out for the season.

Good job Boras!

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
            Unsigned Michael Conforto, who famously turned down a 9-figure extension and then an $18.4m qualifying offer, had shoulder surgery Wednesday and is out for the season.

Good job Boras!
            To be fair, Boras had no way of knowing his client would have a down year in 2021, then injure his shoulder while working out during the lockout.

You don’t hire Scott Boras to play it safe…you hire him to get the maximum amount possible. For all his faults, this isn’t on Boras.
            2021 Auction Anatomy
            2021 Keeper Decisions
            2020 Auction Anatomy
            2020 Pre-Auction
            2015 Auction Anatomy
            2014 Auction Anatomy
            2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

• Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
              To be fair, Boras had no way of knowing his client would have a down year in 2021, then injure his shoulder while working out during the lockout.

You don’t hire Scott Boras to play it safe…you hire him to get the maximum amount possible. For all his faults, this isn’t on Boras.
              An agent's job is to provide avenues of risk prevention as well as capital maximization. Conforto also became a free agent on Nov. 8th, and did not sign any offers before the lockout occurred on Dec 1st. Many agents had their clients sign pre-lockout, Boras didn't.

He badly failed Conforto here.

Comment

An agent's job is to provide avenues of risk prevention as well as capital maximization. Conforto also became a free agent on Nov. 8th, and did not sign any offers before the lockout occurred on Dec 1st. Many agents had their clients sign pre-lockout, Boras didn't.

Boras gambles, because he is rich either way, and overall, even if he loses on one client, he wins on the whole. Of course, that should not matter to you when you are that client he loses on, and ultimately, the player has to make the call, and Conforto cost himself tens of millions by balking at a 9 figure deal. But you are right that agents should definitely advise clients of the risks, which I hope Boras did. All of these guys have to have big egos to be as good as they are, but Conforto was never a generational talent and I did not get how he could have passed on such a massive deal given who he was. Add to that the injury risk and the lock out, and it makes it worse. Even if he did not get hurt, I don't think he would have gotten a better deal the than first one he turned down. At this point, coming off major surgery and entering his 30s, he will have to take a one year prove it deal next year and even if he hits like his peak, he will be lucky to sign a deal in 2024 for half of what he could have had.

Comment

• Easy to say… Look, Conforto probably was fine rolling the dice. He has made plenty of money and was probably fine pursuing the largest deal even if risky.

Comment

• Robinson Cano DFA'd

Comment

Robinson Cano DFA'd
                      Hallelujah!! About time.

Better to keep Dom Smith and Travis Jankowski.

Comment

if you want to minimize risk you do not hire Boras. There are traditional money managers and there are aggressive hedge funds and people who are looking to minimize risk do not go to a hedge fund. That is Scott Boras. You hire him to get you the maximum amount possible and sometimes that results in taking a higher level of risk. It is why his clients never sign deals before their contracts expire, no matter what the team offers…because he feels the threat of the open market will always result in more. Even though we all know that sometimes it does not.
                        2021 Auction Anatomy
                        2021 Keeper Decisions
                        2020 Auction Anatomy
                        2020 Pre-Auction
                        2015 Auction Anatomy
                        2014 Auction Anatomy
                        2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

• Scherzer took himself out of the game after throwing a slider...Met's arms have GOT to be the most unlucky group of pitchers...ever.
                          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                            Scherzer took himself out of the game after throwing a slider...Met's arms have GOT to be the most unlucky group of pitchers...ever.
                            Moderate to high oblique strain, out 6-to-8 weeks.

Comment

With Scherzer and Megill out Peterson and Williams to replace them I would think.

Comment

I guess $43 million doesn't go very far these days.
                                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X