Baseball Reference Page
    mlb depth charts
    cot's contracts - team page
    cot's contracts - 2014 spreadsheet
    mlbtraderumors - team page
    fangraphs - team page
    fangraphs - park factors

prospects - rhd, with team highlighted
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Most of the hitters in the lineup have had at least one plus offensive season in the last two years. For Ricky Weeks you have to go to 2011, but he's still just 30. The hole is at 1B, currently Juan Francisco. It feels unlikely after 2013, but this team could logically hit like an AL powerhouse if things fall together.
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

I hope the other Brewer fans come in and take a swing at this one, too. My random thoughts:

1B - Giant, huge, life-sucking black hole right now. Kinda like the giant holes in Francisco's swing against LHPs. They're talking to Corey Hart - which I think is a mistake; he now has two bad knees and a bad back. I'd rather they go after Jeff Baker, platoon 1B and have Baker as a backup for other positions.
      2B - I don't care what Rickie Weeks is being paid, they have to start Scooter Gennett here. To our owner's credit, he understands the concept of sunk costs, so I think Scooter starts no matter what. Of course, an ideal situation is to trade Weeks for just about anyone not named ARod.
      SS - Jean Segura bonked pretty hard from August on, but he's the real deal at SS even if he only hits 5 - 8 HRs.
      3B - The Brewers simply have to hope Aramis Ramirez can stay healthy. They have no other good alternatives there, though Baker would help that situation.
      OF - The strength of the team is here. The presumably PED free Braun will be key, but Gomez and Aoki have big parts to play, assuming Aoki is not traded for starting pitching. Khris Davis waits in the wings; he has a potent bat, but is an absolute butcher of a left fielder. There was talk of working him out at 1B during winter ball and spring training, but I'm not aware how that experiment has gone so far. Shafer and Gindl provide decent 4/5 OF depth in the wings, too.
      C - Jonathan Lucroy is a good hit - IMO, a very underrated hitter - below-average defensive catcher. Maldonado is a stud defensively, but his whole swing is a hole. But they're a very solid combo, though if the Brewers can get a backup C at low dollars who provides very good defense and a below-average, but serviceable, bat, they might make that move and try to get Maldonado straightened out in AAA.

SP - In the first half, a complete train wreck. Once the Brewers were well out of it, Marco Estrada got healthy and pitched lights out, Lohse was his usual consistent self, and Wily Peralta started to show some serious progress. Gallardo behaved like a solid #2 SP in the second half. The Brewers need a serviceable #4/5 in the worst way - they need Gorzelanny in the bullpen, and I don't see either Hellweg or Fiers working, either. Tyler Thornburg may be the answer, but I suspect the Brewers are going to try and use Aoki (who's got a cheap contract) to add a solid starter.

Bullpen - No big names, but the bullpen should be league-average or a little better. Jim Henderson looks like he can close, and there's a host of young power arms behind him. Getting Gorzelanny in the pen, however, is key - he gives them a solid LHP alternative, and someone who can go 2-3 innings if necessary.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Here's my take on the team.

Catcher
        I agree with everything chancellor said about the catching situation. Jonathan Lucroy is going to get the majority of the starts behind the plate (with an occasional start at 1B) and Martin Maldonado will be the personal catcher for Wily Peralta. The Brewers don't really have anyone in the minors that could challenge these two for playing time right now.

First Base
        They could have put a scarecrow out on the field with a glove in one arm and a bat in the other and it would have been more productive then the guys they had out there last year. So going into this year it's a wide open competition without a clear front runner. The internal options with major league experience are Juan Francisco, Sean Halton and Taylor Green (FYI you should probably avoid these guys in your fantasy draft regardless of playing time). In the minors they've got Hunter Morris and Jason Rogers but Morris didn't exactly light the world on fire and Rogers needs some ABs in AAA. Like chancellor pointed out, they could bring back Corey Hart (which I agree would be a mistake for them) and there are rumors that they have interest in trading for one of the Met's First Basemen (although don't count on Braun being involved in the deal).

Second Base
        I would love to see Scooter Gennett take over 2B on a full-time basis, but I think Roenicke starts with Rickie Weeks and only switches to Gennett if Rickie starts out ice cold again. Roenicke just seems to have a long leash for his veterans, so unless the Brewers find a trade partner or Rickie moves to 1B, I think Weeks gets the majority of the ABs to start the season. If Gennett does get playing time he should hit for average and score runs, but he doesn't have much power or speed.

Third Base
        Another spot I agree with chancellor on. There is Aramis Ramirez and that is it. They traded for Stephen Parker last year but he only hit 218/307/333 at AAA. They also traded for Nick Delmonico but he's at least a year away and he struggled after coming over last year. So like chancellor said, it's all on A-Ram. He produced when he played last year (831 OPS), but he's also going to be 36 years old. There is talk that A-Ram could be on the trading block. If it's true the Brewers better get a major league ready 3B back in return or they could end up with a horrid corner infield situation (like the Alex Gonzalez and Yuni Betancourt nightmare of 2013).

Shortstop
        Much like 3B there is just no depth below Jean Segura. Segura had two amazing months, followed by two good months and capped off with two crappy months. Overall it was a good season and he has earned a long leash from Roenicke (not like there is anyone else to take those ABs right now). Jeff Bianchi and Elian Herrera are going to compete for the backup infielder spot, but neither seems to offer much in terms of fantasy value.

Outfield
        Based on what I have read, I believe the Brewers starting outfield looks like Khris Davis in LF, Carlos Gomez in CF and Ryan Braun moving to RF with Norichika Aoki back in the 4th outfielder spot. Gomez seems like he finally turned the corner in 2012 and he had an MVPish season last year. Braun was suspended and injured for most of last year, but he should back to his normal MVPish numbers this year. Davis is the wild card. He hit well in limited opportunity last year and he should continue to hit, but the Brewers have other options and he won't have a long leash. So early struggles could cost him ABs. Aoki is the odd man out right now (and he is a possible trade candidate) but he would be the primary beneficiary if Davis struggles. Logan Schafer and Caleb Gindl are the other guys battling for a reserve spot on the roster. Schafer is the better defender, but doesn't offer much fantasy value. Gindl has a some fantasy value if he were to get ABs. Josh Prince and Kentrail Davis are the other guys in the organization that could be make it the majors this year although neither is on the 40 man. Prince can play all over the field but doesn't have any fantasy relevant skills. Kentrail doesn't offer much power, but he's got some speed.

Starting Pitchers
        Yovani Gallardo, Kyle Lohse Marco Estrada and Wily Peralta have their spots in the rotation locked down. Gallardo sucked long enough to kill any trade value he had before the deadline and then rebounded to have an okay year. Lohse was actually pretty good, but he's going to be 35 this year. There are also rumors that the Braves are interested in trading for him. Estrada really seems to fly under the radar. Over the last two years he's averaged over 4 K/BB and his ratios have been pretty good too. Peralta is another guy who struggled, but then had a much better second half when they paired him with Martin Maldonado. Hopefully that pairing continues to work this season. The last spot in the rotation will be up for grabs with Tyler Thornburg, Jimmy Nelson, Mike Fiers, Hiram Burgos and Johnny Hellweg competing for it. None of these guys will get a very long leash, so I think the Brewers will probably end up riding the hot hand. Ariel Pena and Mark Rogers are also around, but I don't think either of them sees the majors this year.

Bullpen
        I did not except Jim Henderson to win the closer role and keep it for the season. I still think he's a risky play because he spent a decade in the minors being so-so and then suddenly became a very good closer over night. The problem is that there isn't much behind him in the pen right now. Brandon Kintzler is the next guy in line for saves. Kintzler has been a good middle reliever but he just doesn't seem like a closer. Tom Gorzelanny is the only guy that has his spot in the bullpen locked down, but I don't think he's a serious candidate for saves. The Brewers are more than likely going to add a veteran or two, but right now Alfredo Figaro, Donovan Hand, Rob Wooten, Michael Blazek, Mike Olmstead and Jose De La Torre would be competing for the open spots. It's hard to see any of the young guys closing this year, because I think Roenicke would prefer to have a veteran in the closer role.

Comment

Have they considered moving either Davis or Braun to 1B? That could take care of the 1B hole while getting Aoki into the lineup regularly, which is what he deserves.
          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
            Have they considered moving either Davis or Braun to 1B? That could take care of the 1B hole while getting Aoki into the lineup regularly, which is what he deserves.
            there was seemingly serious talk late in the season about getting Davis work at 1B during winter and ST. It doesn't seem much has come of that - or, he's as awful at 1B as he is in LF.

I like Davis a lot - power bat, works hard, improving eye...but holy cow, is he awful in the field. Braun was bad when he initially went to LF, but Davis is a whole 'nother level of badness. I'm pretty surprised some AL team that's long in arms and needs a good DH hasn't come after Davis. But it sure looks as if Aoki is the trade bait right now.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

from Rotoworld:

Ryan Braun addressed the media Wednesday for the first time since his PED suspension and said that he is open to moving to right field.
              Braun answered questions from reporters while appearing at a food drive event in Milwaukee. While most of the focus was naturally on his PED use, he was asked some on-field questions, specifically the possibility of moving to right field in order to make room for Khris Davis in left. "Possibly," said Braun. "We've discussed it. I'm not opposed to it. I don't know exactly what's going to happen but it's definitely a possibility. 100 percent, I'll play wherever they want except third base. That didn't go well. But I'll do whatever we want. It's not something set in stone but it's something we've discussed."
              Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
              Nov 27 - 12:25 PM

My guess is Braun moves to RF unless the Brewers can get a boatload of prospects for him in a trade.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I haven't heard anything about Davis moving to 1B recently. From what I recall they tried him out there last offseason and it didn't go well and then he said something about being an outfielder at heart and not being interested in switching. Then late last year he told reporters he would do whatever it took to stay in the majors. So at least he seems open to it.

I haven't heard anything about Braun or anyone else being looked at for the 1B hole (other than fan speculation). Braun to RF seems like a solid possibility because it gets Davis in the lineup, frees up Aoki for trade, and because "Finding a left fielder is easier than finding a right fielder."

If the Brewers didn't have Segura they could always move Braun to SS, which according to him, is his natural position

Comment

Originally posted by jackmadden View Post
                  If the Brewers didn't have Segura they could always move Braun to SS, which according to him, is his natural position
                  Shortstop is the "natural position" of half or more of the guys drafted, since it's where almost all youth coaches play their best athlete.

I was a 2B when I played, never had the arm for shortstop, never asked to play it because that's where the best athlete or the coach's son played. In my softball years, I played beside dozens of beer-gutted ex-jocks who swore they were still able to play short. Believe me, they weren't. Most were left fielders or 1Bs at best. But in their minds...

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                  -- William James

Comment

Melvin said Gennett has leg up in 2b job.

Comment

the fallback plan at 1B if they lost Hart is Ike Davis, so expect Ike to be packing his bags soon.....

Comment

Milwaukee is rumored to be turning its attention to James Loney. If I were a Brewers fan, I'd rather have him than Davis or Duda.

-- William James

Comment

Here are the latest rumors I've heard.
                          • Melvin met with James Loney's agent this afternoon, but Loney might be too expensive for the Brewers right now.
                          • The Brewers are in the running for Ike Davis, but don't want to deal Tyler Thornburg to get him.
                          • They talked with the Giants about Brett Pill yesterday.
                          • The Brewers will be kicking the tires on a lot options they weren't interested in earlier this week.

None of these options are really appealing to me, so I would prefer to see them give Hunter Morris a long look in spring.

Comment

Milwaukee is reportedly interested in Michael Young as an interim first baseman. Bleh.

-- William James

Comment

Milwaukee is reportedly interested in Michael Young as an interim first baseman. Bleh.
                              Jesus, they should have made a play for Doumit...as a 1st baseman, he might be able to stay healthy and hit 20 HR's.
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                              X