Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by madducks View Post

Mike Moustakis salary history from the last 3 years:

2018) After the 2017 season, Moustakis declined his $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Royals and then settled for $5.5 million from the Royals in March of 2018. During the season he was traded to the Brewers.
    2019) After the 2018 season, Moustakas declined his $15 million mutual option with the Brewers and then settled for $10 million from the Brewers in February 2019.
    2020) After the 2019 season, Moustakis declined his $11 million option from the Brewers and then ???
    Padres 2b, they went after him in 2019, makes sense. That fees up Urias to go somewhere else in a package.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• New Brewers SS Luis Urias underwent surgery on Tuesday to repair a fractured left hamate bone and is expected to be sidelined for the next 6-8 weeks. He suffered the injury while playing winter ball. I wouldn't expect much power from him this season. Hamate surgery for power hitters seems to have an extended recovery time that often goes far beyond the actual return.
      Last edited by madducks; 01-29-2020, 09:26 AM.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Mike Moustakis salary history from the last 3 years:

2018) After the 2017 season, Moustakis declined his $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Royals and then settled for $5.5 million from the Royals in March of 2018. During the season he was traded to the Brewers.
        2019) After the 2018 season, Moustakas declined his $15 million mutual option with the Brewers and then settled for $10 million from the Brewers in February 2019.
        2020) After the 2019 season, Moustakis declined his $11 million option from the Brewers and then ???
        The 3rd time was the charm for Moose, who ended up getting 4 years/$64 million from the Reds which includes $12 million for 2020.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

New Brewers 2B Luis Urias underwent surgery on Tuesday to repair a fractured left hamate bone and is expected to be sidelined for the next 6-8 weeks. He suffered the injury while playing winter ball. I wouldn't expect much power from him this season. Hamate surgery for power hitters seems to have an extended recovery time that often goes far beyond the actual return.
          I know that he's not a typical example, but Matt Olson begs to differ ...
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
            I know that he's not a typical example, but Matt Olson begs to differ ...
            Agree, I was out on Olson last year due to that news. But his power did not suffer at all. I wonder why? Anything we can learn from it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
              Agree, I was out on Olson last year due to that news. But his power did not suffer at all. I wonder why? Anything we can learn from it?
              Not much, IMO. Certainly, rehab for that injury has changed, presumably improving recovery time. But I'd still consider Olson the exception rather than the rule.

Quick note on Urias - he'll play SS for the Brewers if healthy. Otherwise, it'll be Arcia at SS and Hiura at 2B.

In other Brewer news, looks like the Brewers have informed Braun that they will refuse the option for him in 2021, so it's likely this is his last year in Milwaukee.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                He bats lefty and he broke his hamate in his right hand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                  He bats lefty and he broke his hamate in his right hand.
                  Geez, why didn't anyone mention this last year? I was out on him, too.

Comment

New Brewers SS Luis Urias underwent surgery on Tuesday to repair a fractured left hamate bone and is expected to be sidelined for the next 6-8 weeks. He suffered the injury while playing winter ball. I wouldn't expect much power from him this season. Hamate surgery for power hitters seems to have an extended recovery time that often goes far beyond the actual return.
                    I cannot remember where, but I read an well-researched article that provided strong evidence that this perception does not match actual performance. My simple take away was not to be afraid of hamate injuries.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                      I cannot remember where, but I read an well-researched article that provided strong evidence that this perception does not match actual performance. My simple take away was not to be afraid of hamate injuries.

Comment

• Hmmm. So a few thoughts ...
                        That article and analysis is from 2014. I'm wondering about the point chance made that presumably treatment has improved affecting recovery times. But the sample sizes are rather small ... There simply aren't that many hamate injuries that we can establish any recent trends, at least not reliably.
                        But it's pretty clear that the stigma attached to players recovering from this injury are well understood, at least by anyone who follows the game regularly. Could this least to someone like Urias actually being undervalued in most auctions this spring? It would be a gamble, but maybe a good one ...
                        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                          Geez, why didn't anyone mention this last year? I was out on him, too.
                          Because Gregg hates us.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                            Hmmm. So a few thoughts ...
                            That article and analysis is from 2014. I'm wondering about the point chance made that presumably treatment has improved affecting recovery times. But the sample sizes are rather small ... There simply aren't that many hamate injuries that we can establish any recent trends, at least not reliably.
                            But it's pretty clear that the stigma attached to players recovering from this injury are well understood, at least by anyone who follows the game regularly. Could this least to someone like Urias actually being undervalued in most auctions this spring? It would be a gamble, but maybe a good one ...
                            I think he will be undervalued, especially since the Brewers are really downplaying him being ready for the start of the season.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                              I think he will be undervalued, especially since the Brewers are really downplaying him being ready for the start of the season.
                              That is weird, in a way, because even those who believe the hamate thing say it affects power. And Urias doesn't really have any power anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                                That is weird, in a way, because even those who believe the hamate thing say it affects power. And Urias doesn't really have any power anyway.
                                Actually he tore up AAA with a .600 slg last year. I was extremely surprised. Like you, I had thought he had no power.

Comment

Working...
                                X