Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 306

Thread: 2K19: Milwaukee Brewers

  1. #291
    Hiura's 60's hit/gp/rp tool grades are exceptional, he is also joining a solid lineup. Call me bullish. His health had been the question mark especially defensively but his bat could be elite.
    Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

  2. #292
    All Star Sour Masher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    5,307
    Quote Originally Posted by kldub4life View Post
    Hiura's 60's hit/gp/rp tool grades are exceptional, he is also joining a solid lineup. Call me bullish. His health had been the question mark especially defensively but his bat could be elite.
    I agree. For fantasy purposes, Hiura is an exciting prospect. However, if the question is about whether to start him right away, I'd say no, unless you don't have any other viable options. Even the best hitters often take some time to get used to major league hitting. For every Soto and Acuna who come out swinging a hot stick, you have tons of guys, many of whom end up really good long term, that struggle right out of the gate.

  3. #293
    Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    I agree. For fantasy purposes, Hiura is an exciting prospect. However, if the question is about whether to start him right away, I'd say no, unless you don't have any other viable options. Even the best hitters often take some time to get used to major league hitting. For every Soto and Acuna who come out swinging a hot stick, you have tons of guys, many of whom end up really good long term, that struggle right out of the gate.
    Case in point Vladdy
    Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

  4. #294
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    28,621
    Quote Originally Posted by kldub4life View Post
    Case in point Vladdy
    I do not think 37 abs would qualify Vlad.

    He has 6 hits with both his hrs in his last 14 abs.

  5. #295
    Big Leaguer
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    3,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    I do not think 37 abs would qualify Vlad.

    He has 6 hits with both his hrs in his last 14 abs.
    His post was before those 2 HR.

  6. #296
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    28,621
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    His post was before those 2 HR.
    Yes, but the 37 abs were not. Those aren't enough to reach small sample size.

  7. #297
    Big Leaguer
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    3,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Yes, but the 37 abs were not. Those aren't enough to reach small sample size.
    Using SSS in this context is a little circular of a reference. If the argument is that prospects tend to have a rough time when they are first called up (say, their first 30 ABs) and we cite an example, we can't tear down that example based on sample size since the first 30 ABs is the entire population of our hypothesis. If your point is that we can't draw too many conclusions from 1 player, then I agree, but I think kldub4life was likely onto something there we just need to add up a few different players to get a large enough sample. But it doesn't disqualify one particular player's data.

  8. #298
    Big Leaguer
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    3,538
    BTW, I grabbed the 8 rookies this year who had not played before 2019 and have at least 50 ABs (Alonso, Tatis, Martin, Jimenez, Chavis, C. Tucker, Reynolds, Vlad) and looked at their 1st 25 ABs vs all subsequent ABs. For simplicity, so that I dont have to look intra-game, I just looked at any game during which they started out with < 25 career ABs.

    1st 25 ABs: .270/.341/.565
    After 1st 25: .244/.322/.563

    I don't see good evidence based on THIS years' rookies to wait to put them in your lineup. Granted, that's just 8 rookies and I would likely get better data by looking at all the rookies in 2018, but... ain't nobody got time for that!

    Watch out for some selection bias too though. Kieboom would fall out of my sample (<50 ABs) because he was terrible in his first stint and didn't get a chance to meet my criteria, so this data may be skewed.

  9. #299
    Big Leaguer madducks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Down the river ..................from PNC Park
    Posts
    4,316
    "Skewed Data" would be a good name for a band.

  10. #300
    Big Leaguer Bernie Brewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South of the Cheedar Curtain, in the land of the FIBs
    Posts
    2,373
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull View Post
    Shaw has a contract under 5 mil for this season and then is arbitration eligible for next season. If Hiura holds his own then the Brewers will easily sit or trade Shaw. I do not own him in any of my league but would you start him thinking this could be like Soto or Acuna?
    I donít see the Brewers trading Shaw. They may sit him more this season, once he is truly healthy, and while the Moose is loose, but heíll be given a lot of rope to work things out. I believe he still has a minors option, but I could be wrong on that. The Brewers are still very high on Shaw.
    I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

    Ronald Reagan

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •