2K24: Milwaukee Brewers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    He did. The other was Rollie Fingers who also won the Most Valuable Player award that same year.

The year was 1981.
    Vukovich won it in 1982, and may be the worst Cy Young Award winner ever:
    18-6
    3.34 ERA
    1.50 WHIP
    105 Ks (4.2 K/9)
    102 BBs

He had a WAR of 2.8, and Dave Stieb finished 4th with a WAR of 7.6.

The top two finishers that year, Vukovich & Palmer, both had K/9 rates under 4.25.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      Vukovich won it in 1982, and may be the worst Cy Young Award winner ever:
      18-6
      3.34 ERA
      1.50 WHIP
      105 Ks (4.2 K/9)
      102 BBs

He had a WAR of 2.8, and Dave Stieb finished 4th with a WAR of 7.6.

The top two finishers that year, Vukovich & Palmer, both had K/9 rates under 4.25.
      Stieb started 38 games that year and threw 19 complete games. He was under 5 on the k/9 (4.40) too.

Comment

Stieb started 38 games that year and threw 19 complete games. He was under 5 on the k/9 (4.40) too.
        In the AL that year, there were THIRTEEN total pitchers who had a K/9 rate of >8.0. And one of those threw 6 innings.

By comparison, in 2019, there were TWO HUNDRED AND SIXTY pitchers who had a K/9 rate of >8.0.

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
          I wrote a story from Yankee Stadium in the mid-1980s about the up-and-coming Brewers rotation. recommendation was for me to seek assistance from Frank Howard, the former Senators slugger who was a Brewers coach. talked to him on the field pre-game. he gives me a warm greeting, and then this giant of a man practically disappears me into a hug as he walks me over to the pitching coach.

tells that coach that I'm a good friend of his, and that he needs to be sure to answer any questions I might have. lol

there are a million Frank Howard stories out there. once read of a guy who rode the Amtrak with him for a couple of hours. he figured he'd just get an autograph and then leave him alone. instead, they talked baseball for a couple of hours until the train reached the station. that's pretty cool.
          Thanks for sharing this story. So great and much needed these days.

Comment

• Orlando Arcia traded to the Braves

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
              Orlando Arcia traded to the Braves
              looks like a bullpen depth trade for Milwaukee. Got Chad Sobotka and Patrick Weigel.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Stieb had a good year. Vukovich, on the other hand...102 walks...woof. There were six pitchers with more than 100 walks that year, led by Nolan Ryan with 109 in 250 innings, and second was Dave Righetti with 108 walks in 183 innings. In 2019 only three qualified starting pitchers walked more than 3.8 men per nine innings, in 1982 there were 15 pitchers over that figure.
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                  Narvaez is looking like his 2019 self again.
                  Narvaez is now batting fifth for the Brew Crew.

Kolten Wong goes to the IL with a strained oblique.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Dee Strange-Gordon just signed a minor league deal with the Brewers. Could be interesting with Wong out.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                      Could be interesting with Wong out.
                      That's what she said.
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• that is Strange
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Yelich with back soreness and Shaw fouled a ball off his shin... Shaw may miss a day or two but I'm not super worried. Yelich is a bit more scary.

Comment

• Anytime an expensive player relative to your own individual league misses a game (except for rest) is a concern. For stud bats, back and wrists always bother me.
                            Last edited by Gregg; 04-12-2021, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Anytime a $50 plus player misses a game (except for rest) is a concern. For stud bats, back and wrists always bother me.
                              What's a $50 plus player? Are you including inflation in that - if so it's pretty league specific.

I'd say $35 plus in non-inflated terms so we can all be on the same page.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                                What's a $50 plus player? Are you including inflation in that - if so it's pretty league specific.

I'd say $35 plus in non-inflated terms so we can all be on the same page.
                                I'd say $36.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X