Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556

Thread: 2K22: Chicago Cubs

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by chancellor View Post
    Yeah, now you have one guy who'd be good enough to be the Brewers #4 SP.
    No doubt the Brewers have an excellent staff.

No matter what the Cubs do moving forward they will not have an equal staff to the Brewers. But they need to continue to build and take calculated risks to close the gap (Rodon anyone?).

I love Stroman in real life MLB. He's such a gamer, tons of durability, command, strong groundball rate, and he's increasing his swing-and-miss rate.

I just don't see much value in the contract. Really high AAV, and punitive opt-out structure, and a very short 2-3 year term. Seems like a stabilizer, or trade bait, but they're not building around him with such a short term deal.

Happy for Gregg.
    "My favourite is when Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi say "we need a strong Republican party." And I'm like, "um, well, I donít. Not sure why you do." And then I realized why they do need a strong Republican party. Because if there was no Republican party, even if you were a fan of the Democrats, you would be like "hey, now what's holding you back from doing good policy if there's no opposition?" Because they'd be revealed as frauds." - Judah Friedlander

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    No matter what the Cubs do moving forward they will not have an equal staff to the Brewers. But they need to continue to build and take calculated risks to close the gap (Rodon anyone?).
    I'm just yankin' your chain. I agree with Teenwolf's assessment of Stroman's capabilities, and that the AAV seemed high, but nobody's getting quality starting pitching on the cheap right now.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by chancellor View Post
    I'm just yankin' your chain. I agree with Teenwolf's assessment of Stroman's capabilities, and that the AAV seemed high, but nobody's getting quality starting pitching on the cheap right now.
    Oh, I know. Yet there is truth in that chain.

I keep an eye on the Brewers and it is pretty amazing what they have done with their pitching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Oh, I know. Yet there is truth in that chain.

I keep an eye on the Brewers and it is pretty amazing what they have done with their pitching staff.
    I can't make sense of Adrian Houser. How did he have such a good season with only 17.5% Ks and 10.7% BBs?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I can't make sense of Adrian Houser. How did he have such a good season with only 17.5% Ks and 10.7% BBs?
    Some luck, some skill, some management, IMO.

Luck - As you've noted BABIP can be influenced by skill. And I'd have expected Houser's BABIP to improve last year, as he's a groundball heavy pitcher, and the Brewers upgraded defense at 2B (by light years) and SS and 3B (by a smaller amount). But a below .260 BABIP...nah, I think there's some luck in that number.

Skill - He's a groundball heavy pitcher who keeps the ball in the park. His GB tendencies also help shifts work in his favor, and Counsell is a shift-heavy manager.

Management - Counsell aggressively manages his number of times through the lineup; it's uncommon for him to go through a lineup more than twice.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Jon Lester retires after a 16-yr career