• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
    Good catch.
    No hit
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    ---------------------------------------------
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• The Cubs signed Chris Young as their new bullpen coach.
      And I know what you are thinking - why did they sign a former outfielder to serve as their bullpen coach?

But no, I'm talking about the other Chris Young.
      And I know what you are thinking - the 6'10 giant who pitched for 13 years for the Rangers, Padres, Mets, Mariners, and Royals?

And I know what you are thinking - they hired the country music singer as their bullpen coach?

Yup, that's right, the minor league reliever you had never heard of

Comment

The Cubs signed Chris Young as their new bullpen coach.
        And I know what you are thinking - why did they sign a former outfielder to serve as their bullpen coach?

And I know what you are thinking - the 6'10 giant who pitched for 13 years for the Rangers, Padres, Mets, Mariners, and Royals?

And I know what you are thinking - they hired the country music singer as their bullpen coach?

Yup, that's right, the minor league reliever you had never heard of
        Yeah, but he took the place of someone who has had the job for 13 years and 31 years with the Cubs. Good news not fired given new position.

Comment

• Can't say I am going to miss Addison Russell.

He is still young only 25. I suspect someone will take a chance on him.

Comment

• Kris Bryant has lost his service time grievance against the Cubs.

So, Bryant becomes a free agent after the 2021 season, rather than after 2020 which will increase his trade value.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
              Kris Bryant has lost his service time grievance against the Cubs.

So, Bryant becomes a free agent after the 2021 season, rather than after 2020 which will increase his trade value.
              Shocking I tell ya! Shocking! At least they took a long time to make it seem fair.

Commence to trading Bryant.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                Shocking I tell ya! Shocking! At least they took a long time to make it seem fair.
                I actually am surprised. It was so blatant by the Cubs that I thought they'd get drilled.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  I actually am surprised. It was so blatant by the Cubs that I thought they'd get drilled.
                  But can you imagine the can of worms that would open?

Comment

The problem is that there is nothing in the CBA that actually prohibits blatantly doing exactly what the Cubs did.

Comment

• Isn't there going to be a new CBA soon? I'm guessing they didn't want to open this can of worms, as Ken said, when they can address it during the new CBA process.
                      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                        The problem is that there is nothing in the CBA that actually prohibits blatantly doing exactly what the Cubs did.
                        Understood. But with the higher interest in "spirit of the law" concepts and integration of law into social norms and acceptance, and the clause that states “Every contract imposes upon each party a duty of good faith and fair dealing in its performance and its enforcement.”, I thought the Cubs could lose this one.

As a lawyer, you'll likely appreciate Sheryl Ring's explanation, which is far better than I can do: https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/20...red-arbitrator

Comment

Understood. But with the higher interest in "spirit of the law" concepts and integration of law into social norms and acceptance, and the clause that states “Every contract imposes upon each party a duty of good faith and fair dealing in its performance and its enforcement.”, I thought the Cubs could lose this one.

As a lawyer, you'll likely appreciate Sheryl Ring's explanation, which is far better than I can do: https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/20...red-arbitrator
                          I've read the article, and it is an interesting take. I generally like her work. I don't question her main premise---it was purely service time manipulation. I don't see how anyone can dispute that in good faith no matter the silly things GM's say to cover their asses when it happens. However, the question is how far the duty of good faith and fair dealing stretches. I am sure MLB's argument was that once arbitrary time deadlines were put in the CBA, it was completely understood that things like this would happen. They happened regularly before the last CBA was agreed. If the MLBPA didn't like it, they should have negotiated something in the CBA to prevent it.

Comment

• Cubs manager David Ross said Wednesday that Kris Bryant will be batting leadoff this year.
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                              Cubs manager David Ross said Wednesday that Kris Bryant will be batting leadoff this year.
                              Wow, smart move, put your best/high OBP bats at the top of the lineup. I'm liking Ross already.

Comment

Wow, smart move, put your best/high OBP bats at the top of the lineup. I'm liking Ross already.
                                Oh, shut up. Ross is an idiot. He should be shamed by every good Cubs fan to put a strong hitter like Bryant in a RBI position, like the #5 slot.

Signed,

A Brewers Fan

Comment

Working...
                                X