Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    There is some talk of Greene as well.
    Hasn't there been "talk of Greene" for a couple years now?

Comment

• I think check swings should be subject to review.

I understand not arguing balls and strikes. Check swings should have it's own category. The missed call last night clearly cost the Cubs the game.

Comment

I think check swings should be subject to review.

I understand not arguing balls and strikes. Check swings should have it's own category. The missed call last night clearly cost the Cubs the game.
        Why check swings and not balls vs strikes? Fundamentally that's all a check swing is, so why separate it? It's no more or less subjective than a ball/strike call. So why make the rules different?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
          Why check swings and not balls vs strikes? Fundamentally that's all a check swing is, so why separate it? It's no more or less subjective than a ball/strike call. So why make the rules different?
          Check swings are more like foul balls which also count as strikes except when the don't.

I would add that the check swing review should only be allowed on 3rd strikes.

Comment

Check swings are more like foul balls which also count as strikes except when the don't.

I would add that the check swing review should only be allowed on 3rd strikes.
            Still not seeing the argument on why one should be reviewable and the other not reviewable - can you add more details on why you think that other than the Cubs losing yesterday?

Comment

Still not seeing the argument on why one should be reviewable and the other not reviewable - can you add more details on why you think that other than the Cubs losing yesterday?
              The Cubs losing yesterday should be enough.

Kidding aside there is an attempt to make games go faster this is counter productive to getting all of the calls correct.

There is a desire to get calls correct to make the game more fair/accurate. We don't like bad calls effecting the outcomes.

If we allowed reviews on all balls and strikes the game would last much longer. That is not going to happen. Someday we probably will have robots that will make those calls more accurate. Currently we sacrifice some reviewable calls for the sake of time.

Why should a foul ball ever get to be reviewed? There are plenty of them hit per game, most are not in question. The game changing questionable ones have been deemed reviewable. Why are those more important than check swing 3rd strikes?

It would be good to review "questionable" check swings on 3rd strikes. It doesn't add much time and doesn't happen often.

Comment

It would be good to review "questionable" check swings on 3rd strikes. It doesn't add much time and doesn't happen often.
                So if you arbitrarily get called incorrectly for a 2nd strike check swing instead of a 3rd strike check swing you are just screwed? Yeahhh... don't think that's going to fly.

Not trying to give you too much of a hard time but this really does sound like sour grapes and I think cooler heads will prevail. No baseball reason to differentiate check swings from other strikes, so I doubt that it's going to happen.

Comment

So if you arbitrarily get called incorrectly for a 2nd strike check swing instead of a 3rd strike check swing you are just screwed? Yeahhh... don't think that's going to fly.

Not trying to give you too much of a hard time but this really does sound like sour grapes and I think cooler heads will prevail. No baseball reason to differentiate check swings from other strikes, so I doubt that it's going to happen.
                  Yes you are screwed just like a bad call out of the strike zone. But check swing 3rd strike is easily reviewed. That particular missed call is more of a game changer than when it happens on strike 1 or 2.

You may not agree with me but I would hope you could at least see the point. It is something that can easily be corrected Cubs or no Cubs.

Comment

Yes you are screwed just like a bad call out of the strike zone. But check swing 3rd strike is easily reviewed. That particular missed call is more of a game changer than when it happens on strike 1 or 2.

You may not agree with me but I would hope you could at least see the point. It is something that can easily be corrected Cubs or no Cubs.
                    Sorry, can't agree. If you want to go with robo-umps for balls and strikes, sure, I can get on board with this too, but otherwise it is too arbitrary.

Comment

• Cubs sign catcher Jonathan Lucroy.
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Last night might be the nail in Maddon's coffin. I have serious doubts they make the playoffs, but thankfully the NL Central is weak.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                          Last night might be the nail in Maddon's coffin. I have serious doubts they make the playoffs, but thankfully the NL Central is weak.
                          I hope not. Maddon is a great manager for the Cubs and is fun to boot.

Cubs brass has not been good at picking/getting the proper relievers. In addition the way they have built the Cubs hitting is all or none. Makes for exciting seasons and some terrible frustrations.

Comment

• "Maddon is..... fun"

what are 'things I didn't expect to read today?'
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Cubs 5 Pirates 4 in the bottom of the 1st! A real pitchers dual.

What a disappointing season on so many levels.

Comment

Cubs 5 Pirates 4 in the bottom of the 1st! A real pitchers dual.

What a disappointing season on so many levels.
                                Hopefully, the Cubs facing the Pirates pathetic pitching helped cheer you up this weekend. The Cubs won all three games by scores of 17-8, 14-1, & 16-6. This season can't end quickly enough for the Pirates.

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, the Cubs became just the fifth team in the modern era to score at least 14 runs in three straight games, joining the 1901 and ‘28 Pirates, 1930 Cubs and 1993 Tigers.

It should be an exciting playoff type atmosphere during the final two weeks with the Cubs facing the Cardinals in 7 of their last 10 games. Although the Brewers could pass them both with an easier schedule down the stretch.
                                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X