Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
    I do miss Don Quixote.
    He is back. Has recently made some posts in the SB too. Hopefully more baseball posts are coming.

Comment

• Aristides Aquino was left off the major league squad and assigned to the taxi unit, which means he doesn't stand a chance of making the major league roster to start the year.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        Aristides Aquino was left off the major league squad and assigned to the taxi unit, which means he doesn't stand a chance of making the major league roster to start the year.
        He crashed and burned HARD in September...joining the one month legends of the game.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
          I do miss Don Quixote.
          Then you need better aim.

OK, here's why I loathe the Reds. From the time my family moved here, I was pressured to root for the Reds, who were mediocre at the time. As I was already rooting for a mediocre team, I saw no reason to switch. But in a town that values rigid conformity as much as Cincinnati, that made me weird in the eyes of the "natives". The local view is, "If you move here, you must root for the Reds; if you leave, you must remain a Reds fan"--and NO ONE SEEMS TO UNDERSTAND THE INCONSISTENCY.

Over the years, I have sometimes paid a heavy price for daring to not root for the Reds. I won't get into details, except that it has gone as far as physical threats for daring to root for the other team. Fortunately, little of this has happened in recent years. I'm not sure if it's because the fans have mellowed, or because I tend to sit away from others when I go to a game. The rigid Cincy mindset lives on in many areas, but it's not as absurd.

I'm a fan of the Pirates and have been since 1963. It's a masochistic thing, but they're my team. Thank goodness I'm old and remember the 1970s, right? In other cities, people treat visiting fans like family--slightly mentally deficient family, but family. When I went to two games of a Pirates-Mets series at PNC Park last summer, there was no animosity; the Pittsburgh fans had a good time exchanging friendly barbs with the Mets fans (and there were lots of the latter).

As for why I loathe the Bengals--They often suck, and they sometimes don't make much of an effort to not suck. Growing up with the Steelers of the 1960s, I understand perennial suckage, but I don't like it.

Overall--I'm not promising to be around all the time, but I'll be around. With no theater going on (I'm on the board of the Ohio Community Theater Association), and not wanting to dive into the cesspool of the election, I'm spending more time thinking of mistakes to make with my fantasy baseball teams. I did a lot better last year when I spent far less time on them.
          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            He crashed and burned HARD in September...joining the one month legends of the game.
            Also, they have a lot of major league level outfielders---no superstars but more than the usual number who could be solid. I was still surprised that they left him off the 60-man roster after all the hype when he started off hot after his 2019 promotion.
            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

• Reds broadcaster Thom Brennaman may have just forced himself into early retirement:

The Fox Sports Ohio broadcast of the Reds' doubleheader against the Royals on Wednesday included TV announcer Thom Brennaman using a homophobic slur while speaking into a hot microphone.

In a video widely circulated on social media, Brennaman could be heard saying "one of the f-- capitals of the world." He seemingly did not realize he was on-air.

He has been suspended by the Reds.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                Reds broadcaster Thom Brennaman may have just forced himself into early retirement:

The Fox Sports Ohio broadcast of the Reds' doubleheader against the Royals on Wednesday included TV announcer Thom Brennaman using a homophobic slur while speaking into a hot microphone.

In a video widely circulated on social media, Brennaman could be heard saying "one of the f-- capitals of the world." He seemingly did not realize he was on-air.

He has been suspended by the Reds.
                No way he keeps his job.
                Last edited by whalewang; 08-20-2020, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• Reds place SP Sonny Gray on the 10-day IL with a mid-back strain.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Newly acquired Reds SP Brandon Bailey will undergo Tommy John surgery next week and miss the entire 2021 campaign. Bailey was the 30th ranked prospect in the Astros system last year.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Nick Senzel announced as the Reds' starting centerfielder.
                      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                        Nick Senzel announced as the Reds' starting centerfielder.
                        That would make Akiyama useless.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                          Limited database but an 052 iso probably forced their hand.
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                            This assumes that Senzel makes it to opening day healthy...

Comment

• With Amir Garrett hurting, Sean Doolittle pitching bad, Lucas Sims hurting, and Wade Miley hurting, where is Tejay Antone going to end up? Both he and Lorenzen seem like they're in flux right now.

Comment

• MLBTR reporting that the Reds are considering using Eugenio Suarez at SS this year. I guess the Kyle Farmer experience isnt all it's cracked up to be. https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...shortstop.html

Comment

Working...
                                X