No announcement yet.

2K24: Cincinnati Reds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latos slips on the mound, had right knee meniscus surgery today. Out 10 days according to the team, so make it two weeks. Barring complications, should be ready for Opening Day.

Homer Bailey talks apparently have centered around a multi-year deal, not just one to avoid arbitration. The arb hearing is still set for next week.

And an interesting tidbit from Rotoworld--

"Neftali Soto will be used as a catcher in spring training with the Reds.

Soto caught 10 games in A-ball back in 2010, but that's the extent of his pro catching experience. He's since bounced around between third and first base but has never really found a home defensively. It might be a long shot that the soon-to-be 25-year-old will work out behind the plate, but his bat would be intriguing if the conversion is successful. Soto hit .271/.313/.414 with 15 homers last season and slugged 31 bombs back in 2011."

Considering that 1B is blocked and Soto hasn't shown much at 3B, I guess it's this or left field for him. It also shows that the team may not be 100% sold on Devin Mesoraco at catcher long-term. It's an experiment, what the heck, try it and see if anything comes of it.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

Now Latos is dealing with elbow inflammation

Comment

Reds sign Carlos Marmol to a minor league deal, presumably for "organizational depth".

No one can figure out why, though. St. Jude would say, "I may be the patron saint of lost causes, but this..."

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

pen has been terrible. hitting has been worse and injuries have been crippling. total mess.
          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
            pen has been terrible. hitting has been worse and injuries have been crippling. total mess.
            If this is the case, then the Marmol signing makes me wonder if there is a nefarious design to tank the team with a purposefully bad bullpen. If Marmol ever sees the major league Reds bullpen, no matter how bad a state it is in, he can only make it worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
              Works for me. One thing about the team now being down to 4th place (above only the mighty Cubs) is that when I listen to local sports talk, there's far less crowing and bragging. This is unusual, as local Reds fans have a great capacity to assume greatness where there has been but little, and that many years ago (not dissimilar from my Pirates).

This team MAY have missed its window of opportunity, although I'm not saying that is the case yet.

-- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                Reds sign Carlos Marmol to a minor league deal, presumably for "organizational depth".

No one can figure out why, though. St. Jude would say, "I may be the patron saint of lost causes, but this..."
                Bwa ha ha.

I posted about this signing before I saw this.

Some people just can't learn from watching others mistakes.

Comment

From Rotoworld, something that strikes me as no real loss, at least to the Reds--

"Carlos Marmol has been placed on the restricted list at Triple-A Louisville after leaving the club without permission.

It's not clear why Marmol left or how long he plans to be gone, but obviously it's not ideal as he tries to make it back to the majors. The reliever was signed to a minor league deal two weeks ago after being released by the Marlins. Marmol has allowed three runs while walking six over 3 2/3 frames at Louisville."

-- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                    From Rotoworld, something that strikes me as no real loss, at least to the Reds--

"Carlos Marmol has been placed on the restricted list at Triple-A Louisville after leaving the club without permission.

It's not clear why Marmol left or how long he plans to be gone, but obviously it's not ideal as he tries to make it back to the majors. The reliever was signed to a minor league deal two weeks ago after being released by the Marlins. Marmol has allowed three runs while walking six over 3 2/3 frames at Louisville."
                    They should just look for him around the stadium. He cannot have gotten that far yet. Given how he pitches, the only way he could have left was by walking.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                      They should just look for him around the stadium. He cannot have gotten that far yet. Given how he pitches, the only way he could have left was by walking.
                      Ouch. How did I miss that pun?

-- William James

Comment

Latos starting tomorrow. He should give my Mixed H2H team a nice boost.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                        Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                        Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Over the last 18 hours, Billy Hamilton is leading the league in home runs.
                          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                            Over the last 18 hours, Billy Hamilton is leading the league in home runs.
                            And over the last 12 hours, I am a co-leader in home runs.

I think Hamilton hitting home runs is long-term counterproductive to his game. I think of Mickey Rivers trying to "muscle up" and forgetting his job--to get on base.

-- William James

Comment

bailey throws another stink bomb today. such a huge step forward last year, such a mess this year - wtf is wrong with this guy?
                              ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
                                bailey throws another stink bomb today. such a huge step forward last year, such a mess this year - wtf is wrong with this guy?
                                And it could have been much worse given that he allowed 10 base runners in 5 innings....
                                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                                X