Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
    From RW:

Mariners manager Scott Servais told reporters after Thursday's game that Julio Rodríguez (back) will undergo an MRI exam on Friday in Kansas City.

Oh no!
    Hopefully, the Mariners are just being very cautious with their franchise cornerstone and it's something minor. It's disappointing that we probably won't get to see the first 30/30 rookie season from him. I really thought he was going to do it.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      From Jeff Passan:

THREAD: There’s a lot to digest on Julio Rodríguez’s extension with Seattle, per ESPN sources. The deal could be for 8, 13, 16 or 18 years. It guarantees Rodriguez $210 million. If it maxes out, it will be the largest ever: $470 million. The details are important. Here they are.

The base of the deal is for eight years and $120 million. It includes this season and runs through 2029. After 2028, the Mariners must decide whether to pick up a club option. The size and length of that depends on Rodriguez’s performance in MVP voting.

The option is for eight or 10 years on top of the original deal. Depending on how Rodriguez fares in MVP voting — wins and finishes — it can range anywhere from $200-$350 million. If the Mariners pick up the option, Rodriguez’s guarantee in the deal is at least $320 million.

Now, if the Mariners don’t pick up the option after Year 7, Rodriguez has a player option after Year 8 for five years and $90 million — thus, the 13-year structure and $210 million floor. He could turn it down and hit free agency right before his 30th birthday, too.

The likeliest outcome? Julio Rodriguez is a Seattle Mariner through 2037 and makes at least $320 million. Probably much more. And if he turns into the monster that he shown he is in his rookie season, it could be the most financially lucrative deal in American sports history.
      Here's my simplified version of the Julio Rodriguez contract:

8 years @ $120 million (2022-2029)
      then
      + team option #1 = 10 years @ $200-350 million determined by MVP finishes (2030-2039)
      or
      + team option #2 = 8 years @ $200-350 million determined by MVP finishes (2030-2037)
      or
      + player option = 5 years @ $90 million (2030-2034)
      or
      free agency after 2029 season @ age 28-29 (DOB 12-29-00)

Looks like the only way for the player option or free agency to come into play is if Rodriguez tanks in years 6-7 since the team options will be decided after year 7.
      Last edited by madducks; 09-23-2022, 05:12 AM.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Kelenic is looking post-hypish.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Seattle gets a walkoff homer tonite from Cal Raleigh to clinch a playoff spot for the Mariners. They had the longest active streak of missing the playoffs, 20 straight years. In 2001 they tied the MLB record w 116 wins in a season and amazingly did not make the playoffs at all again until this year.

Comment

• This gets a bit of an asterisk due to the expansion to 3 WC teams now though, right? Still, congrats to Seattle!

Comment

• Originally posted by SlideRule View Post
              This gets a bit of an asterisk due to the expansion to 3 WC teams now though, right? Still, congrats to Seattle!

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• To no one's surprise, Julio Rodriguez received 29 out of 30 first place votes to win the AL ROY Award. I'm guessing that the Baltimore writer felt obligated to vote for Rutschman.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Mariners are calling up pitching prospect Bryce Miller to start on Tuesday.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                    Mariners are calling up pitching prospect Bryce Miller to start on Tuesday.
                    Interesting decision to call him up, as he's in AA and not exactly pitching well (6.41 ERA, 5 HRA in 19 2/3 IP).

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post

Interesting decision to call him up, as he's in AA and not exactly pitching well (6.41 ERA, 5 HRA in 19 2/3 IP).
                      He sure proved me wrong!

Comment

• But will he keep it up when not facing Oakland?
                        I am debating picking him up to replace Tyler Anderson, who has been pretty putrid. Anderson was quite good (and lucky) last year. Miller just up from AA and risky. Tough call. I feel like Miller has some upside but big rookie SP risk. Anderson got a big contract, so at least he will play.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                          But will he keep it up when not facing Oakland?
                          I am debating picking him up to replace Tyler Anderson, who has been pretty putrid. Anderson was quite good (and lucky) last year. Miller just up from AA and risky. Tough call. I feel like Miller has some upside but big rookie SP risk. Anderson got a big contract, so at least he will play.
                          If you were debating picking up Miller you probably lost him. He's better than Tyler Anderson.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post

If you were debating picking up Miller you probably lost him. He's better than Tyler Anderson.
                            Went all-in with my remaining FAAB and was outbid. I had previously spent on Mason Miller and Logan Allen. So not complaining. Wouldn’t mind seeing Tiedemann or Gavin Williams called up soon, as I could use reinforcements.

Comment

• Jarred Kelenic fractured his left foot after kicking a water cooler following a strikeout on Wednesday. See you in 2024.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                                Jarred Kelenic fractured his left foot after kicking a water cooler following a strikeout on Wednesday. See you in 2024.
                                I wonder how long the water cooler is out for?

Comment

Working...
                                X