No announcement yet.

2K24: Seattle Mariners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So now do they feel obligated to make a better offer to Kelenic? Or call him up to prove they're not manipulating his service time? Or make sure he gets a lot of tough fly balls in ST so he has a lot of defense to work on? Or... just ignore the whole thing and hope everyone forgets?

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
      So now do they feel obligated to make a better offer to Kelenic? Or call him up to prove they're not manipulating his service time? Or make sure he gets a lot of tough fly balls in ST so he has a lot of defense to work on? Or... just ignore the whole thing and hope everyone forgets?
      My bet is the will up the offer on the down low, but if he still doesn't take it, they go with the last option you mention.

Comment

• Well, Kelenic and his agent are sure laying the groundwork for a grievance.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          Well, Kelenic and his agent are sure laying the groundwork for a grievance.
          I'm not sure what basis a grievance would be filed...as long as the club does everything legally, they should be fine. They can rightly say that sending him down for a month of AAA at bats is simply a good way to make SURE that he's ready for the majors, and frankly, they're probably smart to do that. I say this as a Kelenic owner in several leagues. He's only played a handful of games in AA ball.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            I'm not sure what basis a grievance would be filed...as long as the club does everything legally, they should be fine. They can rightly say that sending him down for a month of AAA at bats is simply a good way to make SURE that he's ready for the majors, and frankly, they're probably smart to do that. I say this as a Kelenic owner in several leagues. He's only played a handful of games in AA ball.
            How could they say that in good faith if they offered that he could come up in 2020 if he accepted a long term deal?

Comment

You are probably right; the only two differences are the contract offer which they appear to have hard evidence that Kelenic would be on the team had he signed it, and the verbal confirmation from their president that Seattle was manipulating his service time. While everyone knew what the Cubs were doing to Bryant, the Bryant team didn't have this level of evidence to support their case - the Cubs were at least smart enough to not get caught on tape or video.

It still probably isn't enough - but maybe it'll be enough leverage to get Seattle to the table with a better six-year offer.

Comment

"Mariners top prospect Jarred Kelenic said he believes he's a victim of service-time manipulation after comments made by former team president Kevin Mather drew backlash and led to his resignation.

Kelenic and his agent told USA Today that the 21-year-old outfielder would have been called up to the majors had he signed a contract proposal nearly 14 months ago. Kelenic, a first-round pick by the Mets in 2018, is the No. 4 prospect in baseball, according to The Athletic's Keith Law.

"It was communicated to Jarred that had he signed that contract, he would have debuted last year," Brodie Scoffield, Kelenic's agent, told USA Today. "It was made crystal clear to Jarred — then and now — that his decision not to call him up is based on service time."

Kelenic said he was "extremely disappointed" to not be called up last season as the Mariners chased a playoff berth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  How could they say that in good faith if they offered that he could come up in 2020 if he accepted a long term deal?
                  I'm likely wrong...but saying that something happened, and PROVING it happened, are two different things. I don't know enough about the Mariners front office hierarchy to know if Mathers had intimate knowledge of the contract deals going on with individual players.

Bottom line is Kelenic is much more likely to be up at the beginning of the year as long as he's healthy.
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Uh, seems like pretty good English to me. Mather was a real asswipe.

More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Any team would be lucky to have a kid with that enthusiasm and willingness to engage fans....oh, and his prodigious talent, of course.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                        Any team would be lucky to have a kid with that enthusiasm and willingness to engage fans....oh, and his prodigious talent, of course.
                        Well the Mariners could use some luck. I think they are headed in the right direction, but it's been a long road
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Looks like Kelenic is not making the opening day roster now.

An MRI on Saturday revealed that Jarred Kelenic suffered a Grade 2 strain of the adductor muscle in his left knee.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                            Looks like Kelenic is not making the opening day roster now.

An MRI on Saturday revealed that Jarred Kelenic suffered a Grade 2 strain of the adductor muscle in his left knee.
                            Out 3 to 6 weeks. Combined with AAA being delayed, which I'm sure they want him in some game action, I think we're looking at June before we see him in Seattle.

Comment

• Geez, I'm getting killed in my AL only league. First Framber, and now Kelenic.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                                Out 3 to 6 weeks. Combined with AAA being delayed, which I'm sure they want him in some game action, I think we're looking at June before we see him in Seattle.
                                The delayed start of the minor league season could end up pushing a lot of injury rehabs into May/June.
                                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X