No announcement yet.

2K24: Seattle Mariners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I also am mystified by this deal. Trading a top closer to your division rival that you're trying to catch while getting a mediocre prospect who hasnt done much of anything in MLB so far doesnt sound like a recipe for success. Sewald looks like he can fill in fine in the 9th and Steckenrider fine in the 8th but now the 7th inning looks shaky. It would have made more sense if the Mariners were playing for next year but they're only 1 game out of the 2nd wild card. I'm loving this deal if I'm an Astros fan. Bullpen help was their most glaring deficiency.

Comment

• Mariners add Tyler Anderson from Pirates after the Phillies deal for Anderson fell through.
      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
        Mariners add Tyler Anderson from Pirates after the Phillies deal for Anderson fell through.
        Sniped
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
          I also am mystified by this deal. Trading a top closer to your division rival that you're trying to catch while getting a mediocre prospect who hasnt done much of anything in MLB so far doesnt sound like a recipe for success. Sewald looks like he can fill in fine in the 9th and Steckenrider fine in the 8th but now the 7th inning looks shaky. It would have made more sense if the Mariners were playing for next year but they're only 1 game out of the 2nd wild card. I'm loving this deal if I'm an Astros fan. Bullpen help was their most glaring deficiency.
          Hmm, good points about the division rival and being contenders. I'd rather have four years of Toro than 30 innings of Graveman in a vacuum but I can see why the players are pissed.
          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Baseball Reference only gives the M's an 8.7% chance of making the playoffs, however.

Comment

• And Toro just hit a HR in his first game for the M's, who just so happen to be playing the Astros. Way to go, kid!

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                Graveman and Montero for A. Toro and Joe Smith. Seattle players are supposedly really pissed.
                Livid is being too kind:

"Marco Gonzales stared at the concrete floor of the Mariners dugout, occasionally lifting his gaze to the field of T-Mobile Park and revealing puffy eyes red from tears.

He appeared to be listening as manager Scott Servais intently explained a decision that neither he nor his teammates wanted to believe was real and a roster move that upon first glance does little to help the Mariners in their quest to secure the first postseason appearance since 2001.

And when the conversation ended, Gonzales stalked away like a student released from detention, clearly unsatisfied with the experience and the explanation.

Less than 24 hours after an improbable 11-8 come-from-behind victory over the Houston Astros, which included overcoming a 7-0 deficit in the third inning, a go-ahead grand slam from Dylan Moore and the benches nearly emptying after J.P. Crawford was hit by a pitch, all the good feeling from the best win of the season was replaced by confusion, anger and frustration at the Mariners front office."
                Seattle acquired infielder Abraham Toro and reliever Joe Smith by sending reliever Rafael Montero, who was designated for assignment, and closer Kendall Graveman, who got the win in Monday's game, to the Astros.

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                Baseball Reference only gives the M's an 8.7% chance of making the playoffs, however.
                True, but the players and fans don't care about that. They're one game out of a WC spot and haven't made the playoffs in 20 years.

Comment

• M's have a small chance at contending, but a move like this, in isolation, sends the message that the present is the future and nothing is going to change. Reliever volatility is a bitch, and Graveman could flop...but so could Seawald and the rest of them. Even jumping in to grab Anderson after the trade with Philly fell apart doesn't make things right.

Comment

• This is BA's scouting report on Toro from 2020:

SCOUTING REPORT: Nothing Toro does looks easy. He has short legs and a long torso that, combined with an unorthodox gait, makes everything look effortful. But Toro is more athletic than he looks. He is actually an average runner who will turn in the sporadic above-average time. Defensively, he has worked hard to get himself to being a below-average third baseman who can generally make the routine play He's fringe-average defensively at first. He has an above-average arm. Toro is a pure hitter and has a knack for hitting offspeed pitches, but he has also shown that he can catch up to good fastballs—his two MLB home runs came on 96 and 97 mph fastballs. He generally lines balls to the gaps but has the power to hit 15-18 home runs.

THE FUTURE: Toro's defensive limitations make it hard to find a good fit for him in Houston, but his bat and his ability to switch-hit makes him a useful pinch-hitter with modest defensive versatility.

Sounds like bench player or maybe 2nd division full-time DH to me. That's if things work out. I guess Seattle plans to make him their everyday DH, replacing Luis Torrens. He might ultimately be an upgrade over Torrens but not based on what each has done so far.
                    Last edited by rhd; 07-28-2021, 08:53 AM.

Comment

And Toro just hit a HR in his first game for the M's, who just so happen to be playing the Astros. Way to go, kid!
                      Did you see it ? He got a little help.from Kyle Tucker.
                      ---------------------------------------------
                      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                        M's have a small chance at contending, but a move like this, in isolation, sends the message that the present is the future and nothing is going to change. Reliever volatility is a bitch, and Graveman could flop...but so could Seawald and the rest of them. Even jumping in to grab Anderson after the trade with Philly fell apart doesn't make things right.
                        And now DiPoto is backed into a corner after his statements. Other teams could demand more and he'll have to part with it to prove he was "improving" the team.

Comment

And Toro just hit a HR in his first game for the M's, who just so happen to be playing the Astros. Way to go, kid!
                          another HR today....4 straight games with a homer
                          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                            another HR today....4 straight games with a homer
                            Guessing that'll quell the grumbling from the ol' teammates....

Comment

Guessing that'll quell the grumbling from the ol' teammates....
                              and if it doesn't we will trade them too
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                                and if it doesn't we will trade them too
                                It is pretty nuts. I'm sure Dipoto is smug as a bug in a rug.

Comment

Working...
                                X