No announcement yet.

2K24: Seattle Mariners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rumor has it the Mariners are the front-runners for Cano, offering 8 yrs $200m.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      Rumor has it the Mariners are the front-runners for Cano, offering 8 yrs $200m.
      That's a lotta Bloomquists
      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
        That's a lotta Bloomquists
        Four times the years and over 34 times the money.
        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

I've gotta admit, Cano coming to Seattle would re-enthuse me a bit, but it would take more than Cano alone to really rev my M's fan jets. I don't, under any circumstances, want Nelson Cruz, though. If they pulled off a Cano, Kemp, and Garza/Jimenez off-season with some supportive bullpen signings or trades, I'd be all for it. The team has the money, and we need as much legit talent as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
            I've gotta admit, Cano coming to Seattle would re-enthuse me a bit, but it would take more than Cano alone to really rev my M's fan jets. I don't, under any circumstances, want Nelson Cruz, though. If they pulled off a Cano, Kemp, and Garza/Jimenez off-season with some supportive bullpen signings or trades, I'd be all for it. The team has the money, and we need as much legit talent as possible.
            How much of their vaunted and talented pitching "prospects" do you think the Mariners would have to give up in order to get Kemp?

And why the lack of love for Cruz? Is it the PEDs? The defensive "adventures"?

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
              How much of their vaunted and talented pitching "prospects" do you think the Mariners would have to give up in order to get Kemp?

And why the lack of love for Cruz? Is it the PEDs? The defensive "adventures"?
              Cruz is a defensive nightmare, which pretty much negates almost all value he provides on offense. He's basically a glorified version of Mike Morse, only much much more expensive. No thank you.

And pitching prospects? I doubt the M's will have to give up any pitching for Kemp. I'd wager the Dodgers would take Ackley and the salary relief and call it a day. As long as Los Angeles would pick up a small chunk of the deal, I'd like it for both clubs, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                Cruz is a defensive nightmare, which pretty much negates almost all value he provides on offense. He's basically a glorified version of Mike Morse, only much much more expensive. No thank you.

And pitching prospects? I doubt the M's will have to give up any pitching for Kemp. I'd wager the Dodgers would take Ackley and the salary relief and call it a day. As long as Los Angeles would pick up a small chunk of the deal, I'd like it for both clubs, too.
                No way that the Dodgers give up Kemp for that little...he's still only 29, and money really doesn't mean a thing to the Dodgers. No, I'll wager they get either a couple of prospects (good ones) in return or something to help them win now. And Ackley isn't it...every position that he would play is filled...
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Yeah, the Dodgers didn't create a money problem, though the payroll has plenty to be embarrassed about. The real problem is too many players occupying LF/CF/RF/1B long-term (four vets through 2017).
                  Kemp has star power, and Crawford is presumably unmovable. I think Ethier is the one they should be moving, and they could probably still get something for him.
                  people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Holy......

Per MLBtraderumors:
                    Robinson Cano flew to Seattle to meet with the Mariners in person today, and the team has informed him that they are willing to pay as much as $230-240MM on a 10-year contract
                    Damm!
                    Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

My Twitter feed is filled with New Yorkers frantically trying to spin reasons why Cano and Jay-Z are going to turn down additional years and tens of millions of dollars. Yeah, because he's going to make that up in local endorsements, right? LOL...gonna be fun.
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                        My Twitter feed is filled with New Yorkers frantically trying to spin reasons why Cano and Jay-Z are going to turn down additional years and tens of millions of dollars. Yeah, because he's going to make that up in local endorsements, right? LOL...gonna be fun.
                        The smaller question is whether the Mariners are serious about this, or if they're just yanking the Yankees' chain. I think they are, and that Jack Z is desperate to land "the big fish".

The larger question is whether Cano and Jay-Z are serious, or if they are also trying to move the Yankees closer to their numbers. So far, Jay-Z seems to have played this badly, especially when he made it obvious that he wanted his client to sign only in a "cool" kind of town (any competent agent knows that you don't publicly limit your options). I'm not sure they're serious about signing with Seattle, or that they're good enough actors to make the Yankees think they're serious.

I think the Yankees will hold fast, and that they'll ignore all the spin and chatter. So far, they're not blinking, and I don't think they will.

-- William James

Comment

I agree it's not gonna happen if 10/240 is the offer by Seattle vs. 7/175 by the Yanks. However, I agree that if the offer is 8/200 by Seattle vs. 7/175 by the Yanks that Cano would easily make up that difference in NY with his agency connections. Easily. I mean, shoot, Ryan Braun had $3-4 mil a year in local endorsements before he PED'd out of them, so I don't think it's a stretch at all to figure Jay-Z could get Cano triple that in NY just in regional/local endorsements.
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

No way that the Dodgers give up Kemp for that little...he's still only 29, and money really doesn't mean a thing to the Dodgers. No, I'll wager they get either a couple of prospects (good ones) in return or something to help them win now. And Ackley isn't it...every position that he would play is filled...
                            You and el diablo may be right. I haven't paid much attention to what most people think about Kemp currently other than Fangraphs, and they're pretty down on him (especially Dave Cameron). I will note that Ackley is an excellent defender, though, and is certainly not a total zero as is perceived. He'd be a nice fit for the Dodgers at second until they're new Cuban progresses. Or Nick Franklin. Either is fine. I'm sure the M's could include a starter and a reliever, too, depending on how much money the Dodgers were willing to eat. Paxton could be in play if the money coming to the Mariners is right, too. Just a thought.

Comment

Cano will be offered $225 million for 9 years to join the Mariners according to the New York Times. Cano, JayZ, and representatives from CAA will meet with Jack Zduriencik, Mariners CEO Howard Lincoln, M's (retiring) President Chuck Armstrong, and members of the ownership team tonight. My guess is that we'll know within 24 hours whether he's going to Seattle or not.

Comment

The Dodgers can't trade Kemp if any of the proposed offers on any site you read are remotely accurate in terms of value. They have to keep him and hope he gets over his injury/suckitude issues. You can't send a potential star that has done it before for scraps and then throw in tens of millions of dollars. They need to deal Ethier for whatever they can get and give Kemp another year.

Comment

Working...
                                X