Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    Felix Hernandez demoted to the bullpen.
    to anyone paying attention this isn't a surprise ... still, it's, well, surprising ...
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Dee Gordon has had a disastrous season: .291 OBP, 30 SB, 57 R in 515 ABs. North of 30 next year, I’m staying away.

Comment

• So far, this is the Mariners new lineup:

C - Omar Narvaez
        1B - Ryon Healy
        2B - Dee Gordon
        3B - Kyle Seager (probably next out the door)
        SS - JP Crawford
        LF - Jay Bruce
        CF - Mallex Smith
        RF - Mitch Haniger
        DH - Carlos Santana

All in all....it's not that terrible, lol.

Comment

• well, they keep winning, but this is a rough day for a rookie in his first start. From the play-by-play:

Moore struck out swinging.
          Moore grounded into double play.

and in the ninth, with a four run lead and two out:
          Betts reaches on error by third baseman Moore, Vazquez scored, Betts to second, Benintendi to third.
          Benintendi scored on error by third baseman Moore, Devers safe on error by third baseman Moore, Betts safe at third on error by third baseman Moore.
          Martinez reaches on error by third baseman Moore, Betts scored, Devers to third.
          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
            well, they keep winning, but this is a rough day for a rookie in his first start. From the play-by-play:

Moore grounded into double play.

and in the ninth, with a four run lead and two out:
            Betts reaches on error by third baseman Moore, Vazquez scored, Betts to second, Benintendi to third.
            Benintendi scored on error by third baseman Moore, Devers safe on error by third baseman Moore, Betts safe at third on error by third baseman Moore.
            Martinez reaches on error by third baseman Moore, Betts scored, Devers to third.
            That might be the worst day ever, except they won.

And by comparison, that day for Andrew Moore looks better than their bullpen!

Comment

• Jay Bruce has 11 hits on the year. 8 of the are homers. Crazy. Anyone know who holds the record for hit to homer ratio in a season?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                Jay Bruce has 11 hits on the year. 8 of the are homers. Crazy. Anyone know who holds the record for hit to homer ratio in a season?
                Joey Gallo in 2017 (41 hr/94 hits = 43.6 %) has to be among the leaders.

edit: Mark McGwire in 1998 (70 hr/152 hits = 46.05%) was even better. In fact McGwire had several seasons that were better than Gallo.

edit #2: Barry Bonds in 2001 (73 hr/156 hits = 46.79%) was best. I should have known.
                Last edited by madducks; 04-17-2019, 10:14 PM.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                  Joey Gallo in 2017 (41 hr/94 hits = 43.6 %) has to be among the leaders.

edit: Mark McGwire in 1998 (70 hr/152 hits = 46.05%) was even better. In fact McGwire had several seasons that were better than Gallo.

edit #2: Barry Bonds in 2001 (73 hr/156 hits = 46.79%) was best. I should have known.
                  What base level criteria are you using? Technically Keith McDonald's 2000 where he had 3 hits, all of them HR is the leader (tied with Jorge Sosa, Ed Sanicki, Clem Labine).

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                    What base level criteria are you using? Technically Keith McDonald's 2000 where he had 3 hits, all of them HR is the leader (tied with Jorge Sosa, Ed Sanicki, Clem Labine).

When someone asks for a season record for a batting ratio, i assume that they mean ratios among players who obtained enough plate appearances to qualify for the batting title. So, the answer to your question is 502 plate appearances. Yes, i know it was 478 PA before 1961. No, i didn't pull the numbers from a data base. I just looked up player seasons that i thought were likely to have a high hr/hit % and did the math. So, there could still be a player with a better ratio that i missed.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                      When someone asks for a season record for a batting ratio, i assume that they mean ratios among players who obtained enough plate appearances to qualify for the batting title. So, the answer to your question is 502 plate appearances. Yes, i know it was 478 PA before 1961.
                      Seems like you missed the smiley, my post was primarily in jest!

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                      No, i didn't pull the numbers from a data base. I just looked up player seasons that i thought were likely to have a high hr/hit % and did the math. So, there could still be a player with a better ratio that i missed.
                      I use my own database, makes it easy to look up any stat, any time.

Your guesses were good. Here's the actual top 20

pct name year hr h
                      46.79 Barry Bonds 2001 73 156
                      46.05 Mark McGwire 1998 70 152
                      44.83 Mark McGwire 1999 65 145
                      43.62 Joey Gallo 2017 41 94
                      39.39 Mark McGwire 1996 52 132
                      39.19 Mark McGwire 1997 58 148
                      38.83 Joey Gallo 2018 40 103
                      38.36 Roger Maris 1961 61 159
                      37.27 Adam Dunn 2012 41 110
                      36.49 Jose Bautista 2010 54 148
                      36.45 Carlos Pena 2009 39 107
                      35.82 Harmon Killebrew 1962 48 134
                      35.62 Jim Thome 2002 52 146
                      35.12 Giancarlo Stanton 2017 59 168
                      35.00 Sammy Sosa 1999 63 180
                      33.94 Dave Kingman 1982 37 109
                      33.86 Sammy Sosa 2001 64 189
                      33.83 Barry Bonds 2003 45 133
                      33.83 Harmon Killebrew 1963 45 133
                      33.80 Khris Davis 2018 48 142

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post

Was going to say... Chris Davis 2019?

Comment

• Omar's Coming......onto the Top 5 fantasy catchers list! He's been quite the find so far both for the M's and for fantasy players, who may have landed him for a $1 FAAB bid.

Comment

Omar's Coming......onto the Top 5 fantasy catchers list! He's been quite the find so far both for the M's and for fantasy players, who may have landed him for a $1 FAAB bid.
                            One guy in my league had to bail early so ended up with 4 Cs after the auction. I bid $1 and dropped Jansen for him. One of my few good moves thus far.
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Omar's Coming......onto the Top 5 fantasy catchers list! He's been quite the find so far both for the M's and for fantasy players, who may have landed him for a $1 FAAB bid.
                              I traded my $1 Omar this off season for $40 Gerrit Cole in my AL only 12 team.

Comment

• Mallex Smith demoted to AAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X