mlb depth charts
    cot's contracts - team page
    cot's contracts - 2014 spreadsheet
    mlbtraderumors - team page
    fangraphs - team page
    fangraphs - park factors

prospects - rhd, with team highlighted
    prospects - top 10 - Jason Parks, Baseball Prospectus
    Last edited by Controller Jacobs; 11-25-2013, 02:13 PM.
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

What are they going to do with Wade Davis? I assume they're going to wait and see if they can fill the rotation without him (Shields, Guthrie, Vargas, and some combination of Duffy, Yordano Ventura, maybe another free agent, Zimmer, Lamb, etc). But they already have a ridiculous bullpen (Holland, Hochevar, Collins, Herrera, Crow) and they don't really need Davis there.

Comment

Listened to their pitching coach on XM today saying they haven't ruled out Hochevar back in the rotation. Like Wade Davis last year, I think you leave a guy in a role where he has flourished. Davis dominated in the pen and the Royals stupidly put him back in the rotation. I wouldn't touch Hochevar. I'd put Davis back in the bullpen and make a deal from their bullpen depth for other pieces.

I'm not a fan of giving Vargas 4 years of guaranteed money. He's the type of pitcher you develop from within and not sign.

Comment

Yeah - Hochevar's a FA in 2015, and his value is at a high-point. They should be actively shopping him.
        people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Royals sign Ramon Hernandez to a minor league deal with an invitation to major league spring training. Worth a shot, I suppose.
          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

What the hell happened to this team? A couple of years ago they were the envy of most teams, with a minor leagues filled with elite pitching prospects. Now they're going to have Jeremy Guthrie, Jason Vargas and Bruce Chen taking up 3/5ths of their staff. What a crock.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
              What the hell happened to this team? A couple of years ago they were the envy of most teams, with a minor leagues filled with elite pitching prospects. Now they're going to have Jeremy Guthrie, Jason Vargas and Bruce Chen taking up 3/5ths of their staff. What a crock.
              If a little learning is a dangerous thing, what about a little winning?

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Their elite pitching prospects were very young (Almonte, Ventura, Zimmer), got hurt (Duffy), or simply got dealt for other, more important parts (Odirizzi). Now they have the young guys almost ready to take those rotation spots, by mid season if need be...they'll be fine as a pitching staff. Don't forget that they may have the best bullpen in the majors, arm for arm...this could be a very surprising team if a few players live up to their hype...
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Let's see. The "Big 3" were John Lamb (TJ, stuff never returned, bust), Mike Montgomery (bust), and Danny Duffy (still waiting). Chris Dwyer was also a possible mid-rotation arm, but now is nearly a bust, with limited MR potential.

Now they're in the same position as a few years ago, with Ventura, Zimmer, Almonte, and Manaea all viewed as possible impact SPs on the farm. Let's see how this batch turns out.

Shields/Guthrie/Vargas/Duffy/Ventura doesn't look great, and Bruce Chen probably gets 15 starts. You need to hope Duffy & Ventura perform like 2/3 guys if you want to see the playoffs. Their offense improves a bit with Infante at 2B to complement a group of hitters in their prime. I can see this team making the wild card game at least, if a few things break right.
                  Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                    Don't forget that they may have the best bullpen in the majors, arm for arm...this could be a very surprising team if a few players live up to their hype...
                    It would be a surprise only to those who don't pay attention, meaning the most casual fan and the vast majority of hack media types. The latter pay attention only to those teams to which the rest of the herd is paying attention. Their idea of getting a scoop isn't doing one's homework and learning who is good but underpublicized; it's getting the same Internet feed as everyone else and shouting "FIRST!" because they typed it in .000047 nanoseconds faster than their peers.

The Royals, like most almost-contenders, will have to play at their best in order to make the playoffs, but hey, weirder things have happened. Look at my Pirates last year--written off by the herd as perennially hopeless, and look what happened.

Despite what seems at times to be the best efforts of management to do otherwise, this is a pretty good if unknown team.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                    -- William James

Comment

To fit Chen on the roster, the Royals have DFA'd Emilio Bonifacio.

Comment

I guess with Infante on board he becomes an expensive extra piece for a team like the Royals.

Comment

This isn't good. From Rotoworld--

"Luke Hochevar has been shut down for at least two weeks due to a sprained ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow.
                          Uh oh. The Royals are hoping that Hochevar will be able to return by the end of May, but Tommy John surgery could be a possibility if he fails to make progress. This obviously puts an end to his chances of returning to the rotation and puts Yordano Ventura in good position to win the fifth spot. While the injury is a tough break for Hochevar coming off a dominant season and going into his walk year, the Royals still have good depth in their bullpen."

Another guy who found his niche in the bullpen, then f***ed it up by wanting to start.

-- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                            This isn't good. From Rotoworld--

"Luke Hochevar has been shut down for at least two weeks due to a sprained ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow.
                            Uh oh. The Royals are hoping that Hochevar will be able to return by the end of May, but Tommy John surgery could be a possibility if he fails to make progress. This obviously puts an end to his chances of returning to the rotation and puts Yordano Ventura in good position to win the fifth spot. While the injury is a tough break for Hochevar coming off a dominant season and going into his walk year, the Royals still have good depth in their bullpen."

Another guy who found his niche in the bullpen, then f***ed it up by wanting to start.
                            MLB.com now reporting that Ned Yost said a return "by the end of May is the best case scenario."

Comment

Per FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal, Tomko will earn $510,000 if he makes it up to the majors. Tomko hasn't pitched in the majors since the 2012 season but was reportedly throwing 92-94 mph in the Dominican Winter League.

Comment

Working...
                              X