mlb depth charts
    cot's contracts - team page
    cot's contracts - 2014 spreadsheet
    mlbtraderumors - team page
    fangraphs - team page
    fangraphs - park factors

prospects - rhd, with team highlighted
    prospects - top 10 - Jason Parks, Baseball Prospectus
    Last edited by Controller Jacobs; 11-25-2013, 02:13 PM.
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Made some news this offseason with Mauer moving to 1B.

They desperately need starting pitching, and claim they're going to make a real play for some of the FAs.
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
      Made some news this offseason with Mauer moving to 1B.

They desperately need starting pitching, and claim they're going to make a real play for some of the FAs.
      They won't, trust me on this...despite all of the lip service that the staff gives claiming that there are no restrictions on salary, clearly there are. This is a year when you'll see almost a total rebuilding effort begin, and pretend signings like Pelfrey and Corria should not be tolerated by the fans. They need to bring up the young arms, get them some seasoning, and get rid of the current coaching staff. Of course, little to none of this will happen, and the Twins will continue to pretend to be a major league organization.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

They should be looking to sign guys with upside for the rotation (Hughes, Kazmir, etc.) instead of setting their sights on an innings eater like Arroyo. I don't think that spending money on free agents while you're rebuilding is a waste. But look to acquire trade chips with your money while rebuilding, not unmovable mid-30's below average starting pitchers.

That said 2K15/2K16 looks promising:

Pinto, Arcia, Hicks all getting comfortable. Sano, Buxton and Rosario are all ready to replace their lesser placeholders. Alex Meyer, Kohl Stewart and Jose Berrios plugged into the rotation. So many high end prospects. Let's hope they deal the right prospects at the right time, as their MLB club is pretty barren for the near future. Mauer will likely be a dead weight contract by the time these guys are up.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I don't see Arroyo as below average in real baseball terms. He's amazingly durable. The long ball has been his nemesis, and getting out of the GASP and into the far more spacious Target Field would help him immensely. I take him over the hype and health of a Hughes. OTOH, yeah, Kazmir could be a better fit, as he's eight years younger, but IIRC he's not a great health play.

And I don't call Nolasco mediocre. He's inconsistent, but showed more of his upside last year than for a long while. I think he'll get a better deal than the Twins are willing to offer anyone.

Horns--Of course you know far, far, far more about the Twins and their prospects than I do, but it seems to me that their new-philosophy power arms are a long way from the majors and their old-philosophy low-upside nibblers have proven to be a dismal failure. So what choice do they have but to improvise for a year or two more?
          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
            I don't see Arroyo as below average in real baseball terms. He's amazingly durable. The long ball has been his nemesis, and getting out of the GASP and into the far more spacious Target Field would help him immensely. I take him over the hype and health of a Hughes. OTOH, yeah, Kazmir could be a better fit, as he's eight years younger, but IIRC he's not a great health play.

And I don't call Nolasco mediocre. He's inconsistent, but showed more of his upside last year than for a long while. I think he'll get a better deal than the Twins are willing to offer anyone.

Horns--Of course you know far, far, far more about the Twins and their prospects than I do, but it seems to me that their new-philosophy power arms are a long way from the majors and their old-philosophy low-upside nibblers have proven to be a dismal failure. So what choice do they have but to improvise for a year or two more?
            I think that at least 2, if not 3 of their power arms will start at AA this year, May and Meyer,, and Barrios might do the same, although he had a mediocre year last year year in single A. Gibson is pretty well a lock for the rotation this year, and could be a suprise, a good 2 years removed from TJ surgery. I would expect the rotation of August to look much different than that of April, with the young arms replacing the short term contracts of the vets that they'll inevitably sign.

I agree with Ray, Arroyo is the type of vet who could thrive in Target field, and actually stick around for a few years while the kids get their feet wet. However, I want no part of Hughes, or Nolasco...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Twins are looking at Salty...because of course they are. Any chance to block a potential young player is taken with a vengeance...so grab a mediocre (being kind) catcher who's one asset (Power) will likely be lost in Target Field. Brilliant!

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                Twins are looking at Salty...because of course they are. Any chance to block a potential young player is taken with a vengeance...so grab a mediocre (being kind) catcher who's one asset (Power) will likely be lost in Target Field. Brilliant!
                I was hoping against hope that you wouldn't see that. My first thought when I read it was, "Horns' head will explode..."

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                -- William James

Comment

A surprise signing--The Twins sign Ricky Nolasco for four years, $49 million, with a $13 million club option for 2018 that becomes a player option if he reaches a certain inning pitched level in 2016 and 2017. Very un-Twins-like.

-- William James

Comment

That's a rather affordable deal. Not bad

Comment

Twins reported to be about to sign Phil Hughes for three years, 24 million. Ugh. I look at his 2011 and 2013 and ask one question--"Why?"

They're also reported to be ready to sign A.J. Pierzynski to a one-year deal. I guess they'll finally take back all those rotten things they said about him when they dealt him to the Giants? Ugh for me only because I own Renyel Pinto; in real baseball terms, probably a decent signing.

-- William James

Comment

They're also reported to be ready to sign A.J. Pierzynski to a one-year deal. I guess they'll finally take back all those rotten things they said about him when they dealt him to the Giants? Ugh for me only because I own Renyel Pinto; in real baseball terms, probably a decent signing.
                        A 1 year deal for AJ wouldn't be a bad idea and could be a good mid-season trade chip for them.

Comment

First thing the Twins need to do is break the cycle of losing being ok. AJ will help do that. Let's see the young guys slack ass around him.

Comment

Well, they didn't get Pierzynski, but they may be close to signing another veteran. From Rotoworld; Hornsby, please don't read this--

"Mike Puma of the New York Post reports that the Twins are interested in John Buck.

The Twins appear ready to hand the starting catcher job to Josmil Pinto following Joe Mauer's move to first base, but Buck would give them a bit of protection in case Pinto struggles. He batted .219/.285/.362 with 15 homers for the Mets and Pirates this past season."

Actually, as long as he only plays 1-2 times per week behind Pinto, he's not that bad a pickup.

-- William James

Comment

Well, they didn't get Pierzynski, but they may be close to signing another veteran. From Rotoworld; Hornsby, please don't read this--

"Mike Puma of the New York Post reports that the Twins are interested in John Buck.

The Twins appear ready to hand the starting catcher job to Josmil Pinto following Joe Mauer's move to first base, but Buck would give them a bit of protection in case Pinto struggles. He batted .219/.285/.362 with 15 homers for the Mets and Pirates this past season."

Actually, as long as he only plays 1-2 times per week behind Pinto, he's not that bad a pickup.
                              LOL...you know, that EXACTLY who I was thinking of when they started this infatuation with Salty. Why not just get John Buck for a hell of a lot less money? A no average, good power guy who actually won't get in the way of developing players? I approve!

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                              X