2K24: Minnesota Twins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
    LOL...you know, that EXACTLY who I was thinking of when they started this infatuation with Salty. Why not just get John Buck for a hell of a lot less money? A no average, good power guy who actually won't get in the way of developing players? I approve!
    Having two full-time catchers and two possible part-timers (Mauer, Doumit) would open up interesting possibilities for in-game moves.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
      Having two full-time catchers and two possible part-timers (Mauer, Doumit) would open up interesting possibilities for in-game moves.
      Mauer and the Twins have stated that he will not ever be behind the plate again, even to catch practice. They are worried one smack on the kisser will ruin him forever. They can't afford Mourneau Part II.

Buck actually would be a bad signing. So far, I approve of what Twins have been up to this year. 2014 still isn't going to pretty, but at least they seem headed somewhere.
      "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
      - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
      - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
        Mauer and the Twins have stated that he will not ever be behind the plate again, even to catch practice. They are worried one smack on the kisser will ruin him forever. They can't afford Mourneau Part II.

Buck actually would be a bad signing. So far, I approve of what Twins have been up to this year. 2014 still isn't going to pretty, but at least they seem headed somewhere.
        If push comes to shove, if somehow they're in contention late in the year and a pinch-hitter for Buck is needed, Mauer would probably volunteer to catch again.

As for what the Twins are doing overall, well, it looks like they have a plan, which is more than we can say for the last few years. Whether they can stick with it, whether it's a good plan, who knows? At least they've gotten away from their failed low-upside pitch-to-contact concept.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

The Twins on Friday announced the signing of Jason Kubel to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training, giving a player they drafted a chance to re-establish himself as a power hitting outfielder.
          The lefthanded outfielder will get a shot to make the team in spring training.

Don't mind this signing at all, he's still relatively young (31), and is a good guy to have around. If he rebounds to where he was just 2 years ago, he's a 20/85 guy on the cheap, and allows them to deal Willingham off as soon as he hits a hot streak.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Pelfrey'd!

Comment

Brutal. He was solid in 2010 and 2008, worthless in 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2013. Kubel needs his agent.
              people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

They have some delusional concept that they deserve to have his 2nd year after TJ surgery, like that's going to be something different than any other year during his career. Pathetic. Saw a tweet that said Nolasco, Hughes, Correia, and Pelfrey. All have allowed more hits than IP in their careers. As Stan used to say at the end of the letters column, 'nuff said.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Ryan Doumit traded to the Braves for a low-upside, low-velocity control pitcher, as if the Twins didn't have enough of those already.

Report that they're going to sign Kurt Suzuki to back up Pinto.

Every time the organization takes two steps forward, they follow it with two steps back. Or more.

-- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                    Ryan Doumit traded to the Braves for a low-upside, low-velocity control pitcher, as if the Twins didn't have enough of those already.

Report that they're going to sign Kurt Suzuki to back up Pinto.

Every time the organization takes two steps forward, they follow it with two steps back. Or more.
                    In the press release for Suzuki's signing, it mentions that Pinto has experienced some shoulder pain in winter ball. Twins must think it's better to have a reliable defender behind him able to mentor, or take over full-time workload if Pinto struggles or gets hurt. I think you could do better for a defense-first backup catcher at $2.75 Mil. But it's not terrible for a 1 year rental. Can't hurt that he's caught great pitchers the last few years.
                    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

From Rotoworld--

"According to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, a reunion between Johan Santana and the Twins remains a very real possibility.
                      While the Twins haven't made the 34-year-old left-hander a formal contract offer, they continue to discuss the idea internally and have remained in contact with his representatives. Santana, who currently recovering from a second major shoulder surgery, has attracted interest from several teams this winter but will likely have to settle for an incentive-laden minor league deal."

Well, if the base salary is low enough and the incentives high enough, what the heck. He may not wind up being 25% of once he once was, but it may buy some more time for the organization's young pitching prospects. IMO it's worth a try if it's a minor league deal.

-- William James

Comment

If he wants to, Santana could be a great mentor to the young pitchers as well
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

More bad news for stud prospects, as slugging Twins third baseman Miguel Sano joins Oscar Taveras and Taijuan Walker in having negative injury updates today.

yikes

Comment

They need to be proactive on this thing and go in and do the surgery so he can get on with his career...Sano and Buxton ARE the future. Don't treat this like it's some AAAA player and drag it out so you can get SOME production out of him. They have no intention of bringing him up anyway, so call Dr. Andrews and let's get going....

-Warren Ellis

Comment

More on Sano...

Rob Plummer’s phone rang at 9 a.m. Friday. It was Miguel Sano calling his friend and longtime agent with some disturbing news.

Sano’s throwing elbow was still sore and the highly rated power-hitting prospect was headed for an orthopedic exam on Friday afternoon.

“You think I should have the surgery?” Sano asked Plummer.

He was talking about Tommy John surgery. Just hearing the question made Plummer’s heart sink.

“If this was nothing, Miguel wouldn’t have asked me that,” Plummer said Friday afternoon from his New York headquarters. “I have a feeling this is more than nothing. We have to wait for the MRI to be read, but it feels like this is more than nothing.”

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Kyle Gibson has won the #5 slot in the rotation over Deduno, Diamond and Worley, who was placed on waivers today.

Comment

Working...
                                X