No announcement yet.

2K24: Minnesota Twins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Cruz get to 500 HRs? Dude is ridiculous.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
      Will Cruz get to 500 HRs? Dude is ridiculous.
      I'm starting to think he's a borderline HOF candidate. It's too bad he got a late start to his MLB career, because he's be a slam dunk one if he had a full-time gig prior to age 28.

He seems like the type who will play to age 44-45.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        I'm starting to think he's a borderline HOF candidate. It's too bad he got a late start to his MLB career, because he's be a slam dunk one if he had a full-time gig prior to age 28.

He seems like the type who will play to age 44-45.
        He is a PED guy so voters will knee jerk automatically exclude him even if he hits 500 HR this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
          He is a PED guy so voters will knee jerk automatically exclude him even if he hits 500 HR this year.
          If he hit 500 this year, I think they might test him.....
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

That was my first thought, but I don't get the impression he's viewed anywhere near in the same lens as a Bonds, Palmiero, or Clemens. I think his bigger challenge will be the DH issue.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              That was my first thought, but I don't get the impression he's viewed anywhere near in the same lens as a Bonds, Palmiero, or Clemens. I think his bigger challenge will be the DH issue.
              That's true, but that will go away once Ortiz is inducted on the first ballot.

Comment

it isn't "knee jerk" to keep cheaters out of the HoF

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                  That's true, but that will go away once Ortiz is inducted on the first ballot.
                  Could be. I still think there's a lot of voters who take that into consideration. Plus, his lack of defense drops his WAR, right? There's a number of voters who use WAR as a guide also.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                    it isn't "knee jerk" to keep cheaters out of the HoF
                    I'm not against that as a concept, but it is too late. Lots of cheaters in already. Cruz is an interesting case, because almost all his numbers are from after he got popped and presumably has been clean while producing them.

Comment

Could be. I still think there's a lot of voters who take that into consideration. Plus, his lack of defense drops his WAR, right? There's a number of voters who use WAR as a guide also.
                      It does. His career WAR is 40.4, which is squarely not a HOFer. But assuming he plays another 3 years after this one, he could get to 52-60 WAR, which puts him in the conversation.

Big Papi’s career WAR is 55.3.

Comment

• Cruz is many lightyears away from HoF consideration, in my mind. Not even close. Not even with three more years' production. Ortiz shouldn't get in, either, and his credentials far exceed Nelson's. Is Ortiz generally considered to be a first ballot guy? Christ, no freakin' way!
                        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Ortiz's WAR is.....wait for it.....241st all time.
                          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Also, Edgar Martinez was elected last year, so at least the cherry is broken.

As far as Big Papi, most of the HOF monitor stats have him easily as a HOFer. I think if you take his post-season stats into account, he’s a slam dunk HOFer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                              Ortiz's WAR is.....wait for it.....241st all time.
                              There are 333 players in the HOF so far, including many worse than Ortiz, especially some of the recent inductees, like Harold Baines, who has a 38.7 WAR, which is below Cruz's. Granted, his induction was an egregious broadening of what a HOFer means, but here we are.

Comment

• I guess Ortiz suffices for the "famous" portion of the Hall of Fame, but obvious exceptions like Harold "how the F did you get in here?" Baines aside, he shouldn't even be close to a first ballot guy when Edgar Martinez barely squeaks in on the last ballot. Plus, Ortiz was a cheater on top of it all --- and right during his best statistical season, if I recall, too. He's very far from a slam dunk in my book, that's for sure. Nelson Cruz remains far from a blindfolded half court shot.

Comment

Working...
                                X