No announcement yet.

2K24: Pittsburgh Pirates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any inside info on Marte's status for this week?
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
      Any inside info on Marte's status for this week?
      He was available to PH last night, so I suspect he won't be going on the DL. But he might still miss another game or two.

Comment

It amuses me to no end how Polanco is making the Pirates look like total fools for keeping him down, just so they can save several million 5 years from now. Last 2 days, he's 6-8 with a homer, 6 RBI and 4 runs scored. Average back to .378...
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

pirates DFA Wandy Rodriguez...

who takes his place in the rotation?
          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Cumpton?
            After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              It amuses me to no end how Polanco is making the Pirates look like total fools for keeping him down, just so they can save several million 5 years from now. Last 2 days, he's 6-8 with a homer, 6 RBI and 4 runs scored. Average back to .378...
              Interesting article about Polanco: http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...regory-polanco
              Schoenfield says that the Pirates could potentially save an estimated $15 million in future salaries.

Comment

Pirates brass is split between Locke and Cumpton for Wandy's spot. Not planning to decide for a couple days.

Comment

Originally posted by whalewang View Post
                  Interesting article about Polanco: http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...regory-polanco
                  Schoenfield says that the Pirates could potentially save an estimated $15 million in future salaries.
                  I've not heard a figure that high, the most common figure that I've heard is somewhere around 5 million, but I suppose that it's possible. But even so, that would be spread over 2-3 years or so most likely, not something that would break a MLB club. And how much revenue do they lose by NOT making the playoffs this season, if it comes to that? Or just in lost revenue from fans who aren't coming to the park in a mini protest? No matter what the reason is, it seems very short sighted from both a baseball, and a business perspective.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I've not heard a figure that high, the most common figure that I've heard is somewhere around 5 million, but I suppose that it's possible. But even so, that would be spread over 2-3 years or so most likely, not something that would break a MLB club. And how much revenue do they lose by NOT making the playoffs this season, if it comes to that? Or just in lost revenue from fans who aren't coming to the park in a mini protest? No matter what the reason is, it seems very short sighted from both a baseball, and a business perspective.
                    Unless he also pitches, two months of Polanco isn't going to make this Pirates team a playoff team.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                      Unless he also pitches, two months of Polanco isn't going to make this Pirates team a playoff team.
                      Who's to say what would have happened if Pittsburgh had actually tried to field their most competitive team, rather than trying to save money 4 years down the road. I find WAR to be a troubling statistic, because you can't actually figure in all the things that a player may do to factor into a win for his team. And yes, spending for better pitching would have been a great move as well...they shouldn't have cheaped out on AJ Burnett. The guy was a monster last year, and has been more than decent this year.

You reap what you sow...try to save a dime now, and it'll cost you a dollar later.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Hey, paying for better pitching certainly could have helped. I am just saying, two months of most rookies isn't anywhere near enough difference to change a team really struggling into a playoff team.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                          Hey, paying for better pitching certainly could have helped. I am just saying, two months of most rookies isn't anywhere near enough difference to change a team really struggling into a playoff team.
                          Yasiel Puig begs to differ...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Yasiel Puig begs to differ...
                            That immature one-year wonder? Pah.

I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

So...when does one throw in the towel on Liriano in a 12-team mixed league? I'm at least getting smart and leaving him far, far away from my lineup, but is there any hope for him?
                              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                                So...when does one throw in the towel on Liriano in a 12-team mixed league? I'm at least getting smart and leaving him far, far away from my lineup, but is there any hope for him?
                                Two weeks ago. Cut bait.
                                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                                X