2K24: Pittsburgh Pirates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So sad. This is a storied franchise.

I have a signed ball from the 1949 team that my dad gave me. It features the likes of Ralph Kiner (54 HR that year) and Honus Wagner (who was a coach at age 75). Best thing going for the 2021 team? Joe Musgrove and his no-hitter for another team? Well he used to pitch for Pittsburgh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharky View Post
      So sad. This is a storied franchise.

I have a signed ball from the 1949 team that my dad gave me. It features the likes of Ralph Kiner (54 HR that year) and Honus Wagner (who was a coach at age 75). Best thing going for the 2021 team? Joe Musgrove and his no-hitter for another team? Well he used to pitch for Pittsburgh.
      All we need now is for Trevor Williams to throw a no-hitter this Sunday when he pitches against his former team for the first time. Meanwhile, Pirates owner Bob Nutting laughs at all of the disappointed Pirates fans as he counts all of the money he makes from the team.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
        Pirates signed RHP Steven Wright to a minor league deal with an invite to spring training.

The knuckleballer was an all-star back in 2016 but has pitched just six games since 2018. The 36-year-old right-hander underwent Tommy John surgery in October of 2019, missing all of last season.

Some thoughts on knuckleball pitchers:
        I didn't think knuckleballers threw hard enough to blow out their elbow ligament.
        You would think knuckleballers would be more effective the first season back from TJ surgery since they don't need to generate a lot of velocity to throw a knuckleball.
        And age 36 is like age 26 in knuckleballer years.
        Here's some early Steven Wright standup.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharky View Post
          So sad. This is a storied franchise.

Whoa, that's a nice find. Obviously you'd never sell because of sentimental value, but a Honus Wagner auto is extremely rare indeed. If it's in decent shape, that ball's probably worth $10,000.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
            Whoa, that's a nice find. Obviously you'd never sell because of sentimental value, but a Honus Wagner auto is extremely rare indeed. If it's in decent shape, that ball's probably worth $10,000.
            With Kiner's sig with it, probably even more. That's amazing.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
              With Kiner's sig with it, probably even more. That's amazing.
              Nah, Kiner's signature doesn't have much value.

Comment

• Anthony Alford has struck out 15 times in 19 ABs. Yikes.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                  Anthony Alford has struck out 15 times in 19 ABs. Yikes.
                  That dude is exhibit 6789075 confirming my bias against players scouts love that have alarmingly bad stat lines. The love for this guy and the high prospect rankings never jived with what he did on the field. I admit I lose out on guys with high athleticism and upside, because I cannot help but scout the box score. Aaron Hicks was another guy I faded hard, and injuries aside, his athletic ability has translated to better results than his early stats suggested. But overall, I just cannot bring myself to land raw toolsheds that have not shown even the most basic hittability skills.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                    That dude is exhibit 6789075 confirming my bias against players scouts love that have alarmingly bad stat lines. The love for this guy and the high prospect rankings never jived with what he did on the field. I admit I lose out on guys with high athleticism and upside, because I cannot help but scout the box score. Aaron Hicks was another guy I faded hard, and injuries aside, his athletic ability has translated to better results than his early stats suggested. But overall, I just cannot bring myself to land raw toolsheds that have not shown even the most basic hittability skills.
                    Those are the types of cheap washed up prospects that the Pirates love. The Pirates are like the senior citizen of MLB who is heavily addicted to scratch off lottery tickets.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Those are the types of cheap washed up prospects that the Pirates love. The Pirates are like the senior citizen of MLB who is heavily addicted to scratch off lottery tickets.
                      Even ones that others have already scratched and thrown in the bin .

Comment

• Gregory Polanco has become my favorite Pirate this year, if only for one year. And not because of anything that he is doing on the field, because his numbers are terrible. But, his terrible numbers and $11 million salary are making it impossible for the Pirates to trade him like they want to. And i know that it's driving Pirates owner Bob Nutting crazy that he can't get his greedy little hands on the $5.5 million that the Pirates have to pay Polanco for the second half of this season. And if they can't dump Polanco, the Pirates will also be on the hook for another $4 million to buy out the remaining two years of his contract. And we all know that Nutting won't reinvest any money that he saves back into the team. So, this season, Gregory Polanco's horrible numbers will just make me smile. Just knowing that Gregory Polanco is taking a lot of money out of Bob Nutting's pocket is quite satisfying to me.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

nicely played.

Comment

Gregory Polanco has become my favorite Pirate this year, if only for one year. And not because of anything that he is doing on the field, because his numbers are terrible. But, his terrible numbers and $11 million salary are making it impossible for the Pirates to trade him like they want to. And i know that it's driving Pirates owner Bob Nutting crazy that he can't get his greedy little hands on the $5.5 million that the Pirates have to pay Polanco for the second half of this season. And if they can't dump Polanco, the Pirates will also be on the hook for another $4 million to buy out the remaining two years of his contract. And we all know that Nutting won't reinvest any money that he saves back into the team. So, this season, Gregory Polanco's horrible numbers will just make me smile. Just knowing that Gregory Polanco is taking a lot of money out of Bob Nutting's pocket is quite satisfying to me.
                            His other business is in Newspapers. Fourth generation. Probably not a good spot to be in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                              His other business is in Newspapers. Fourth generation. Probably not a good spot to be in.
                              That can't be right, his parents are police officers in Santo Domingo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                                Like Jeff Bezos, he probably utilizes that underperforming asset to promote other endeavors and political causes that he cares deeply about. So, there can still be value in newspaper ownership if you can afford to take the financial hit.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X