mlb depth charts
    cot's contracts - team page
    cot's contracts - 2014 spreadsheet
    mlbtraderumors - team page
    fangraphs - team page
    fangraphs - park factors

prospects - rhd, with team highlighted
    prospects - top 10 - Jason Parks, Baseball Prospectus
    Last edited by Controller Jacobs; 12-02-2013, 11:39 AM.
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Their weak point last year was relief pitching, and their best reliever (Benoit) is now a free agent. They're also looking for a shortstop, and with the big contracts they already have, you wonder if they'd rather trade than sign one.
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

They have jose Iglesias at SS. They love his glove and are not really counting on his bat. The need a 2B and would like to re-sign Infante but he could be out of their price range. Hernan Perez is the heir apparent but I am not sure he is ready. He has a good glove and some speed but his bat is not there yet.

Porcello, Sherzer and Fister have been mentioned as tradeable. What that means in true Dumbwoski fashion since we have not heard about Sanchez being traded he is the guy that gets shipped. I kid but Dumbroski usually has any trades completed before anyone finds out he was even trying to acquire a certain Player. Two examples Miggy/Willis deal and the the Fister deal. Many of his FA signings are this way as well.

When the season starts they could have a whole new pen. Smyly is ticketed for the rotation if one of the above gets traded. Rondon if healthy has a spot. After that Al Alburqurque and maybe Luke Petkonin may have spots but both can lose the strike zone quickly. Personally I think they need at least 3arms and in reality maybe 4.
      Its not what you've got. Its what you give.
      Its not the life you choose. Its the life you live--TESLA

Princess Kate-Kate Marie Hrischuk 9/12/00-1/27/07

Comment

Nick Castellanos should finally get his shot to prove himself. I thought it was strange this year when prospect analysts downgraded Castellanos' future ceiling based on a decent but not dominating performance at AAA. With the way he's been rushed through the system, putting up a .793 OPS in AAA as a 21 year old, finally discovering his power stroke with 18 HR and a .174 ISO... I'm confident in his future.

Bruce Rondon needs a clear path to saves. Hopefully whoever they get to close is either a short term signing, or someone who could be replaced mid-way through, as I don't think anything will stop Rondon once he makes the necessary adjustments. Rondon is a special pitcher for 1 inning at a time, and that inning should be the 9th.

Just as a trade opened up playing time for Castellanos, a signing or two could just as easily block Rondon's path to closing. Still, this is only temporary. Detroit loves grooming closers. Ask Ryan Perry.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

As a Tiger fan I can't help but having the feeling that this might be a long season for the Tigers. No doubt there were poor off-season moves followed by injuries where the Tigers have poor depth. The Fister trade was poor, signing Joba, Dirks half season injury, losing Iglesias and Rondon have put this team in a position where they cannot afford another major injury. Starting pitching is still a major strength, having a Nathan to close this season is a plus and of course Miggy. With KC and Cleveland better the Tigers are not a lock to win their division. I'm ready for baseball to start but it might very well mean the Tigers take a major step down.

Comment

A lot is going to depend on Kinsler and Hunter. I think AJax will be really good, Miggy is Miggy and VMart will hit OK. They can carry a crappy SS, a doubles power (for now) Castellanos and a suddenly all-glove Avila as long as their top 5 is mashing.

Comment

Kinsler skills are declining but he can still be a productive 2B. Expecting the 30/30 season he produce 3 yrs ago is not going to happen but 15-20 SB 10-15 HRs and BA around .270 is about I expect. Hunter is another year older and God bless him he is still productive but you have to wonder when age finally catches up for good or maybe another injury. It is expected from him to get another 500 AB season and they need it. Castellanos I expect growing pains with ups and downs and Ausmus will need to be patient with him because if he gets off to a very slow start who else plays there? I agree with Ajax will be good and V-Mart is your .300 professional hitter where unless an injury happens he should do that again. They will also need a productive Davis in LF but unless he can suddenly figure out how to hit RHP I can't see him as an everyday player. If this teams is to get to the WS everything needs to come together and I see too many parts not fitting. I would not be surprise to see this team finish behind the Indians and Royals but even with all the question marks they still have enough to win their division.

Comment

With those three top SPs, they're never going to really be out of it, but I get the same vibe as I get from the Phillies and Yankees, that when you use your farm system strictly for making trade bait, it catches up with you soon enough.
                Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                  With those three top SPs, they're never going to really be out of it, but I get the same vibe as I get from the Phillies and Yankees, that when you use your farm system strictly for making trade bait, it catches up with you soon enough.
                  Buster Olney made some statement the other day on Twitter about how he couldn't see an end to the Tigers' dominance, but in reality, it's pretty easy to see. They're paying top dollar for their top-end stars (who are aging), they're going to lose some of their other stars because they can't afford them all (Scherzer, in all likelihood), and their farm system is a bit tattered because of all the success and trading for vets. Squint hard enough, and you can easily see this team turning into a Phillies-lite in a year or two. I like Dombrowski a lot more than Amaro, but there's still some weirdness there. The Fister deal was one of the worst trades I've seen in recent memory, and it's tough to recover from dealing a good pitcher for absolutely nothing in return. When the Tigers end up losing Scherzer after this season, that Fister monstrosity of a deal will look even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                    Buster Olney made some statement the other day on Twitter about how he couldn't see an end to the Tigers' dominance, but in reality, it's pretty easy to see. They're paying top dollar for their top-end stars (who are aging), they're going to lose some of their other stars because they can't afford them all (Scherzer, in all likelihood), and their farm system is a bit tattered because of all the success and trading for vets. Squint hard enough, and you can easily see this team turning into a Phillies-lite in a year or two. I like Dombrowski a lot more than Amaro, but there's still some weirdness there. The Fister deal was one of the worst trades I've seen in recent memory, and it's tough to recover from dealing a good pitcher for absolutely nothing in return. When the Tigers end up losing Scherzer after this season, that Fister monstrosity of a deal will look even worse.
                    He must have seen something in Robbie Ray and Ian Krol, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                      Let's not forget that Fister is already on the DL with an Elbow and Lat injury. Both may turn out to be minor, but I'll never judge a deal for at least a year...not if done by a quality GM.
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                        Let's not forget that Fister is already on the DL with an Elbow and Lat injury. Both may turn out to be minor, but I'll never judge a deal for at least a year...not if done by a quality GM.
                        An injury that occurred after the deal does not make the deal any better. If Fister doesn't pitch another inning, the fact is, unless he was damaged goods at the time of the deal, and every other team knew it, they should have gotten more for Fister.
                        Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-31-2014, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          Reminds me of the deal the Braves made with the Angels.
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                            An injury that occurred after the deal does not make the deal any better. If Fister doesn't pitch another inning, the fact is, unless he was damaged goods at the time of the deal, and every other team knew it, they should have gotten more for Fister.
                            Everyone saying that, it doesn't make it true...what if the Tigers did know that Fister was at the least an injury risk? What if Robbie Ray turns out to be a good #3 starter for the Tigers? Nobody knows, and to say that it's a horrible deal over and over simply doesn't make it so. And maybe, just maybe, that's the best that Detroit could get for Fister...
                            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                            -Warren Ellis

Comment

So, um, Alex Avila is hitting .167 with a .400 BABIP in 36 ABs. How? He has struck out 21 times.

Comment

Working...
                              X