No announcement yet.

2K24: Chicago White Sox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The White Sox make 76 year old Tony La Russa their new manager.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
      The White Sox make 76 year old Tony La Russa their new manager.
      they've done so many things right the past few years ... but this, I dunno ...
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• nostalgia time for men of a certain age:

La Russa's first White Sox squad - he went 27-27 in 1979 after replacing Don Kessinger for the stretch run - wasn't exactly a model of positional stability.

the main cast of characters, with starts per position:

C Milt May 59, Bill Nahorodny 43, Marv Foley 29, Mike Colbern 26
        1B Lamar Johnson 90, Mike Squires 69
        2B Alan Bannister 63, Jim Morrison 41, Jorge Orta 34, Greg Pryor 16
        3B Kevin Bell 59, Eric Soderholm 55, Morrison 21
        SS Pryor 107, Kessinger 36, Harry Chappas 16
        LF Ralph Garr 63, Bannister 45, Junior Moore 32
        CF Chet Lemon 147
        RF Claudell Washington 112, Rusty Torres 24
        DH Orta 64, Wayne Nordhagen 47, LJohnson 37

IP
        Ken Kravec 250, Rich Wortham 204, Ross Baumgarten 191, Steve Trout 155, Francisco Barrios 94
        Randy Scarborough 101, Mike Proly 88, Ed Farmer 81, Fred Howard 68, Rich Hinton 42

cups of coffee included Rusty Kuntz, LaMarr Hoyt, Britt Burns, Ron Schueler, Rich Dotson, and Lerrin LaGrow
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
          they've done so many things right the past few years ... but this, I dunno ...
          Good thing most of the star rookies are already up. Tony loves his vets and plays youngsters slowly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            nostalgia time for men of a certain age:

La Russa's first White Sox squad - he went 27-27 in 1979 after replacing Don Kessinger for the stretch run - wasn't exactly a model of positional stability.
            You are missing the most important event to take place for the 1979 White Sox...... Disco Demolition Night

Comment

• Originally posted by cleo View Post
              You are missing the most important event to take place for the 1979 White Sox...... Disco Demolition Night
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Tony LaRussa was arrested for DUI, one day before he was hired as manager for the White Sox. Chicago says that they knew about it and hired him anyway...it's his 2nd DUI.
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

• yes, and fwiw - if anything - the incident occurred in February.

and it's weird how long it stalled. bottom line is ChiSox knew about it.
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                    Tony LaRussa was arrested for DUI, one day before he was hired as manager for the White Sox. Chicago says that they knew about it and hired him anyway...it's his 2nd DUI.
                    It is obvious that managing or even the thought of managing the White Sox will drive one to drink.

Comment

yes, and fwiw - if anything - the incident occurred in February.

A 74 year old man who's still getting DUI's is not modeling what I would call good behavior for a group of younger players. I pointed out that Chicago knew about it, and IMO, it made it worse. Reading the excerpt of the police report today would be laughable if it weren't so pathetic. He played the "don't you know who I am card"? In the interests of full disclosure, I've had 2 DUI's as well, but they were both more than 30 years ago...doesn't make me better, but it shows better judgement on my part.

According to the police report obtained by ESPN, this is the officer’s account of the DUI stop:

La Russa stated, “I had one glass of wine while at dinner with my friends.” Before searching his person and placing him in the rear of my patrol vehicle La Russa asked, “Do you see my ring?” I asked La Russa what he was talking about? La Russa stated, “I’m a hall of famer baseball person.” While placing him in the rear of my patrol vehicle, La Russa stated, “I’m legit. I’m a hall of famer brother. Your [sic] trying to embarrass me.” I advised La Russa that I will not embarrass him, and he would be treated with the utmost respect.”

Players like Marcus Stroman have already come out and said that they'll never play for him...can't see this turning out well for the White Sox.
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                        A 74 year old man who's still getting DUI's is not modeling what I would call good behavior for a group of younger players. I pointed out that Chicago knew about it, and IMO, it made it worse. Reading the excerpt of the police report today would be laughable if it weren't so pathetic. He played the "don't you know who I am card"? In the interests of full disclosure, I've had 2 DUI's as well, but they were both more than 30 years ago...doesn't make me better, but it shows better judgement on my part.

According to the police report obtained by ESPN, this is the officer’s account of the DUI stop:

La Russa stated, “I had one glass of wine while at dinner with my friends.” Before searching his person and placing him in the rear of my patrol vehicle La Russa asked, “Do you see my ring?” I asked La Russa what he was talking about? La Russa stated, “I’m a hall of famer baseball person.” While placing him in the rear of my patrol vehicle, La Russa stated, “I’m legit. I’m a hall of famer brother. Your [sic] trying to embarrass me.” I advised La Russa that I will not embarrass him, and he would be treated with the utmost respect.”

Players like Marcus Stroman have already come out and said that they'll never play for him...can't see this turning out well for the White Sox.
                        Totally bizarre hire. Even moreso after Renteria was a Manager of the Year finalist. Apparently it was a directive from Reinsdorf, but at this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone within the month.

Comment

yes, and fwiw - if anything - the incident occurred in February.

Last year the makers of the Data Master breathalyzer as well as studies showed that the science behind the Data Master was bunk. As a result our county here in Michigan and I would bet any agency who was using the Data master have had to make changes to how the process and charge DUI cases. Here prior to last year OWI III (3rd time DUI) were rarely released pending investigation. I have seen more OWI III defendants released pending investigation in the past year than I did my previous 15+ years in the field. They were given the Data Master test and the results were enough to charge a defendant with the DUI. Since the Data Master is no longer reliable agencies now have to do more blood draws thus taking more time.
                          Its not what you've got. Its what you give.
                          Its not the life you choose. Its the life you live--TESLA

Princess Kate-Kate Marie Hrischuk 9/12/00-1/27/07

Comment

• Well, Jerry Reinsdorf has apparently concluded since he can't take his money with him, he's gonna spend it this year and next. The White Sox are apparently in on both Brantley and Liam Hendricks.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• In a year where everyone is crying poor, going in cash heavy in this market to push for a title in the next 1-3 years is wise. 2020 White Sox reminded me of 2008 Rays a bit, so 2021-2024 could be a massive success with the right investments.

Comment

• Jose Abreu has tested positive for COVID-19. No symptoms so far.
                                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X