mlb depth charts
    cot's contracts - team page
    cot's contracts - 2014 spreadsheet
    mlbtraderumors - team page
    fangraphs - team page
    fangraphs - park factors

prospects - rhd, with team highlighted
    prospects - top 10 - Jason Parks, Baseball Prospectus
    Last edited by Controller Jacobs; 11-28-2013, 12:36 PM.
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

They've got talent up the middle (Carlos Santana, Kipnis), depth (Gomes, Aviles, Raburn), some solid youngish starting pitchers (Masterson, Kluber, McAllister).

They need to replace Jimenez + Kazmir (and Chris Perez), and should have the money for a starting pitcher.
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

it'll be interesting to see if they look internally to replace Perez at closer or go outside; I'd think they'd prefer to spend the $ on the SP (or two), but we'll see.
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

This is interesting. From Rotoworld--

"Carlos Santana has been taking grounders at third base and could see some time at the hot corner in winter ball, according to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
        Lonnie Chisenhall isn't really the answer at third for the Indians, so it makes sense that they'd be open to some different options. Still, Santana hasn't played more than a handful of games at third base since he was a minor leaguer in the Dodgers organization in 2006, so a position change is not likely in the 27-year-old's future. The catcher/first baseman hit .268/.377/.455 in 154 games last year."

It's worth trying IMO. If he can't cut it there, the Indians move him back to catcher, where they don't have much behind him IIRC. A hole on offense at catcher doesn't hurt as much as one at 3B.
        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

This from Rotoworld last night--

"Indians manager Terry Francona said Thursday that Trevor Bauer looks "good" after making "key adjustments" to his delivery this offseason.
          The Indians sent minor league pitching coaches and people from the front office to watch Bauer throw at the Texas Baseball Ranch. "I saw some video of him the other day and he was good," said Francona. "He’s making key adjustments. It’s exciting. Hopefully, we’ll see some results in spring training, but it’s exciting." A long-time Bauer associate said the righty looks "how he looked when he came out of UCLA." Indians GM Chris Antonetti said the changes Bauer has made have been subtle, but will allow him to "be more efficient with his delivery and allow himself to pitch longer and healthier." Bauer, 22, will be worth keeping an eye on in spring training, where he'll compete for the fifth spot in the Indians' rotation."

If this means that Bauer is finally listening to someone other than himself, good; all he needs to do is remember the fix when he gets to Arizona in February. If it's typical off-season stuff, a variation on the BSOHL garbage, it can be ignored safely.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

Indians sign john Axford to a 1-year deal
            Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

From Rotoworld--

"FOX Sports' Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Indians have signed right-hander Shaun Marcum to a minor league contract."

Worth a shot, I suppose.

-- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
                Indians sign john Axford to a 1-year deal
                One year, $4.5 million with a possible $1.75 million in incentives. Not a bad deal for either side IMO. There are some decent arms in the bullpen (Shaw, Allen), but none with closing experience; if nothing else, this will let them settle into defined roles and gain more experience.

-- William James

Comment

Cleveland signs Jeff Francoeur to a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training. Reports also have the Indians interested in Bobby Abreu.

Francoeur may not be a bad signing IF they restrict him to a platoon role against lefties--but they won't.

-- William James

Comment

I didn't believe the Santana to 3B discussion in November, but it looks to be happening. Soooooo, if Yan Gomes is the primary C, about what do you value him in a 11-12 team AL only?
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

What are the chances Lindor wins the SS job in camp. I understand he would be an instant threat to win the AL GG, but Cabrera is not chopped liver.

J
                      Last edited by onejayhawk; 01-24-2014, 08:21 PM.
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

About 0% chance.

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                          What are the chances Lindor wins the SS job in camp. I understand he would be an instant threat to win the AL GG, but Cabrera is not chopped liver.

J
                          I was at a luncheon today and Terry Francona was the speaker and he said there was no intention of bringing up Lindor this season. He felt he needed another year in the minors at a minimum.

Comment

Francona said today that Santana is the Tribe's third baseman. It won't be a platoon situation with Chisenhall. Santana also backup catcher.

I guess he got his wish. How's he looked in spring training?
                            In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Swisher to the 15 day DL (bro-itis of the knee) and Santana to the 7-day concussion DL. More PT for Chisenhall, and, ummmm, Aviles maybe?

Comment

Working...
                              X