2K24: Los Angeles Dodgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
    Honestly, I don't think that the O's will have to give much in return as long as they assume the majority of his salary...say 51%. I'd be surprised if the Dodgers get more than a couple of middling prospects for him
    I do think the Dodgers should have some urgency to move Ethier. But on the flip side, if the Dodgers are even eating 1/3rd of the salary, there should be some real competition for him. Teams need to wake up after seeing how the Nationals lifted Fister.
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
      If the Dodgers ate 1/2 Ethier's salary he'd essentially be on a 4/35 deal and would have immense value far beyond a middling prospect. Again, Ned Dumbass caveats apply....
      From "The Shawshank Redemption"--

"The Count of Mon-tee Cris-to by A-lex-an-der Dumb-ass..."
      "That's 'Doo-mah'. You'll like that. It's about a jailbreak."
      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
      -- William James

Comment

"Jayson StarkVerified account ‏@jaysonst

Matt Kemp's agent, Dave Stewart, says #Dodgers informed him today "they have no plans to move him." More to come at http://ESPN.com"

Phew. I was having a really difficult time envisioning any sort of trade that would have been good enough, at least in my mind. I'm not keen on selling low on a guy who has the potential to be the best player in baseball when he's healthy (although I guess Trout is now an "anything you can do, I can do better" version of Good Kemp nowadays.)
        IMO the right thing for the Dodgers to do would be to keep Kemp, sign one of the second-tier OFs available to fill in if Kemp isn't ready in April and to serve as the team's fourth OF, and trade Ethier. Not someone like Nelson Cruz, but someone competent at all three OF positions defensively and used to being a reserve. The 5th OF spot from last year is open IIRC, with Schumaker gone and Hairston apparently calling it quits.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

If the Dodgers ate 1/2 Ethier's salary he'd essentially be on a 4/35 deal and would have immense value far beyond a middling prospect. Again, Ned Dumbass caveats apply....
          I thought the Ethier contract was ridiculous after it was signed. Now after seeing how cash is being thrown around like yesterday's trash it doesn't look so bad. Still way over what it should be but the dodgers shouldn't have to pay nowhere near as much of it in a trade as thought. Maybe a third at the most. I would also really like to see a healthy kemp out there and see what he can do.

Comment

At this point I wonder if they can really find someone better than Andy Van Slyke or whatever that chump's name is that they signed from the Mets. They should have held on to Castellano, imo, for just such a contingency plan.
            Scott Van Slyke. The chump from the Mets is Mike Baxter, who's not a viable option for a contender even at O5.

-- William James

Comment

From Rotoworld--

"The Dodgers have retained Juan Uribe on a two-year deal, a source tells Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.
              No word on the financial terms of the deal. Uribe had been drawing interest from the Marlins, among others, this winter after slashing .278/.331/.438 last season. The Dodgers had previously been rumored to have offered the 34-year-old a one-year deal with an option, so it seems they stepped up their offer to retain the third baseman."

At least Colletti didn't go three years this time.

-- William James

Comment

It means they don't sign Michael Young so that is a huge win

Comment

Uribe had the 4th highest WAR last year of any free agent this offseason.
                  And if anything damns WAR as a stat, I do believe that does it.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Uribe had the 4th highest WAR last year of any free agent this offseason.

:headexplodes:
                    And most of it was for his defense, right? Who'd a thunk it?
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Judging by the defensive success of Uribe and Pedro Alvarez, being a big ol' roly poly isn't as detrimental to stellar D as one might think it would be.
                      Ability to react counts more at 3B than at perhaps any other position. It's not a question of your shape, speed, range, or conditioning, it's all about reflexes. Being in shape or good condition, having speed or range, sure, they will help, but it's all about quickness at third.

-- William James

Comment

League...Perez....when will they ever learn?

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                          League...Perez....when will they ever learn?
                          Why? A deep bullpen helps the whole staff...can't have too meant guys who can handle a pressure situation.
                          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Well, considering it's a one year deal I think you can argue that they've already learned. That said, Perez ain't no great shakes. Doesn't really matter all that much, though. He's behind at least two or three other guys in terms of leverage situation pitching.

Still, classic Colletti move. When can we just get rid of this goddamn guy?
                            Look at the bright side. Signing Perez would mean that League is one step even farther removed from possibly closing.

And as you said, it's a one year deal. If he stinks, they cut him loose and eat "only" a few million, unlike League's contract.

-- William James

Comment

Dodgers sign Jamey Wright to a one-year deal. He's very ordinary, has been for years, but he can give a team multiple innings and had a 3.09 ERA and 2.82 K/BB last year. He's far more valuable in real baseball when he's on than he is in fantasy.

-- William James

Comment

Perez' deal is for 1 year and $2.25 million with incentives that can reach $6 million, or so I heard.
                                Same as I read. I don't think that's a bad move. Plus, I know you want to cheer for a guy who's going to enrich his local dope dealer.
                                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                                X