No announcement yet.

2K24: Los Angeles Dodgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think they'll sort it out during spring training, or injuries or poor performance for at least one of the pitchers could sort it out for them.

I think Maholm is a decent and fairly low-priced insurance policy for the Dodgers; nothing special but not bad at all. He's better than some AAAA almost-but-not-quite-major-league-caliber type.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
      Maholm is really similar to (and younger than) Bronson Arroyo. Maholm's deal is an absolute steal compared to Arroyo's.

Here's a comparison (and another nice link to a Fangraphs article discussing the same): http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...ng-market.html
      But with Maholm, you don't get the whole "I'm Mr. Rock-n-Roll, long-haired, weird leg kick" shtick that would play well in LA. And Arroyo IS the better pitcher. The question is whether he's that many dollars better.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
      -- William James

Comment

ESPN's Jim Bowden said the consensus in Dodgers camp is Dee Gordon is the "front runner" for the starting second base job.
        Bowden also said the feeling is that Alex Guerrero needs to start the year at Triple-A based on how he's performed thus far. Guerrero's defense seems to be the biggest stumbling block in his pursuit of the starting job. Even if Gordon does win the job out of spring, don't expect the Dodgers to bury their $28 million commitment for long.
        Source: Jim Bowden on Twitter Mar 1 - 10:02 PM

Comment

Suuuuure......lol. I'll believe that when I see it.
          There were big questions about his defense, and they were so concerned they reached out to Michael Young to come back, so I think there's a legit concern there. Would it really be surprising if Guerrero started the season in AAA?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
            There were big questions about his defense, and they were so concerned they reached out to Michael Young to come back, so I think there's a legit concern there. Would it really be surprising if Guerrero started the season in AAA?
            I wouldn't be surprised to see Guerrero in AAA for a few months, but I would be shocked if they put Dee Gordon in the slot. He just hasn't shown anything to warrant consideration for a starting position...I think that the Dodgers would find a wily veteran to play 2nd for a few months, someone like Jamie Carroll to caretake the position and not screw it up.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              I wouldn't be surprised to see Guerrero in AAA for a few months, but I would be shocked if they put Dee Gordon in the slot. He just hasn't shown anything to warrant consideration for a starting position...I think that the Dodgers would find a wily veteran to play 2nd for a few months, someone like Jamie Carroll to caretake the position and not screw it up.
              Once again, someone uses a term like "wily" (or "hustling", or "gritty") to describe a white guy (never a black or Latino) with no particular talent but who gets along with the media and teammates, a baseball lifer. A future first base or bullpen coach.

IMO you're better off with someone with upside or at least someone who's been up the mountain a little, someone with maybe something left and whose current team would love to unload him. Rickie Weeks comes to mind first.

-- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                Once again, someone uses a term like "wily" (or "hustling", or "gritty") to describe a white guy (never a black or Latino) with no particular talent but who gets along with the media and teammates, a baseball lifer. A future first base or bullpen coach.

IMO you're better off with someone with upside or at least someone who's been up the mountain a little, someone with maybe something left and whose current team would love to unload him. Rickie Weeks comes to mind first.
                Oh, I think that's a bit harsh, I think that a guy like Ronnie Cedeno is a wily vet. A wily vet is someone who's simply never had the talent to really make an impact, but stays around the game regardless because they can do severl thing...none particularly well, but enough to make a club as the 25th guy on a team with aspirations. I picked Carroll out of the ether because he's currently unemployed...
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Placido Polanco is available.

Comment

Is Kershaw going to Australia? Last I heard it wasn't decided.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                      Is Kershaw going to Australia? Last I heard it wasn't decided.
                      Perhaps a dingo will eat the Dodgers baby?
                      "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

With Dee Gordon as the stater at second? The guy whose defense is perhaps the worst in the majors? Yes, it would be very surprising. If Guerrero is questionable because of his defense, Gordon is clearly not the appropriate response. As for Young, they needed a utility infielder and Young obviously wanted the starting job. Young retired instead of taking a backup role. They got their utility guy in Justin Turner.

If defense is the concern about Guerrero, point out one guy in the Dodgers organization who would be a defensive upgrade at second. I guess Miguel Rojas, assuming the Dodgers are willing to put up with a guy who's going to OPS in the .500s as a starter. I really doubt that, too.
                        Ken Gurnick of MLB.com writes that Dee Gordon appears to be the primary second baseman for the Dodgers.
                        It's pretty telling that Gordon is paired with Hanley Ramirez in the starting lineup Monday while Alexander Guerrero will play in the instraquad game. The 25-year-old speedster is 8-for-8 in stolen base attempts this spring should be relevant in all fantasy formats if Guerrero begins the season in the minors.
                        Related: Alex Guerrero
                        Source: Ken Gurnick on Twitter Mar 10 - 1:46 PM

Comment

Also, Kershaw and Ryu were named the starters for the Aussie games.

Comment

It's important to note that Dee Gordon has done well in Spring Training in the past. In 2012, when he was guaranteed the shortstop gig out of the gate he hit 379/.446/.485 in Spring Training. He went on to bat .228/.280/.281 in the regular season, good for one hell of an embarrassing performance at the plate which he multiplied by being embarrassing in the field.
                            I guess it's bad that all this talk has me falling for the guy (again)...I was thinking 3-5 bucks for my middle infielder in an NL only. And I have been burned by Gordon (and Mattingly's hatred for him) in the past too. I need to have my head examined.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                              I guess it's bad that all this talk has me falling for the guy (again)...I was thinking 3-5 bucks for my middle infielder in an NL only. And I have been burned by Gordon (and Mattingly's hatred for him) in the past too. I need to have my head examined.
                              Exactly. In a deep league, if you can get him for a $1 MI, he's probably worth the risk. Don't count on him for anything more than that. I think Mattingly sees him as a very fast guy who isn't a very good baseball player, and he's likely not wrong.

Comment

So of course Justin Turner gets the starting 2B job for opening day ahead of both Gordon and Guerrero, lol.
                                Everyone loves an underdog! Turner was definitely the dark horse candidate for the 2B job.

Comment

Working...
                                X