No announcement yet.

2K24: Tampa Bay Rays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clubhouse Confidential made it sound like the Rays have the two best defensive catchers in baseball when you look at all defensive metrics including pitch framing.

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
      Clubhouse Confidential made it sound like the Rays have the two best defensive catchers in baseball when you look at all defensive metrics including pitch framing.
      They'll need it with Heath Bell as the closer...ouch!
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
        The dude's slash line last year was .198/.306/.261 and he gets three years and 11 million. Amazing.
        One of the best pitch framers in the game, who knows how to get on base (.356 OBP over last 3 seasons). Once he became available, it was inevitable he was coming to TB. They value run prevention over all else

Comment

Hanigan/Molina combine for 4.5M in 2014, 6.25M in 2015. We have to assume that even Tampa can afford $4.5M for a pair of catchers. If it's too much next year, they can make a move then.

One of the most difficult things to quantify in baseball is the impact of catchers like these on starting pitchers, particularly the young pitchers that Tampa repeatedly relies on to perform. They've been good for the last six years (90+ wins in five, playoffs in four) with low payrolls, so any criticism should be tempered by the observation that this team knows how to win in unconventional ways.
          people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
            One of the best pitch framers in the game, who knows how to get on base (.356 OBP over last 3 seasons). Once he became available, it was inevitable he was coming to TB. They value run prevention over all else
            I don't know about "inevitable". I was hearing whispers from people who knew people down at the GASP that the Reds were talking to a few other teams, such as Texas and the Yankees (before the McCann signing), mostly the usual "due diligence" stuff. But once the deal was announced, TB made a lot of sense.

How Hanigan is used is critical. He's not an everyday catcher, and he's not a DH. If he starts twice a week and comes in when the Rays pinch-hit for Molina, that's the best way. Perhaps they'll carry three catchers and have Lobaton DH some of the time?
            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

Tim Beckham tore his ACL and will miss most if not all of the 2014 season.

Comment

and the biggest bust in recent history continues to get worse

Comment

and the biggest bust in recent history continues to get worse
                  Not even close MJ

Brandon Wood,Matt LaPorta, Jesus Montero, Carlos Triunfel
                  Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
                    Not even close MJ

Well, Beckham was the #1 overall pick, so it's hard to say those guys top that. What about Matt Bush? Bryan Bullington? At least Beckham still has a chance!

Comment

and the biggest bust in recent Tampa Bay history continues to get worse
                      fixed

Every team has its Wall of Shame. My team's includes John Van Benschoten, Bobby Bradley, Daniel Moskos, and Bryan Bullington. It takes real talent to have as many ultra-high draft picks as the Pirates had and get nothing out of it.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                      -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
                        Not even close MJ

He was drafted over Buster Posey.....I stand by my claim

Comment

Matt Bush is way bust-ier than that.
                          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                            Game, set, match. Is he still in jail, BTW?

-- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                              I never considered Bush to be quite as big of a bust as others because he was only drafted 1st overall because the Padres knew he would not require 1st overall $$$ to sign. Otherwise he would never have been drafted that high.

Comment

I never rate guys based on draft position, the reasons they end up where they get drafted are varied.....cost, sign-ability, high school vs college, other sports, heck.... even who his agent is. Give me at least a year against similar competition then we'll look. I will agree he may be the biggest TB flop, although Elijah Dukes' method was certainly was more of a train wreck.
                                Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Working...
                                X