2K24: Boston Red Sox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    Very highly regarded hitter by some in the college recruiting area. Arizona, Vandy, and Ole Miss were all over him; I think he committed to Arizona but might be wrong. Despite the ranking, I suspect the Red Sox really liked him and figured he'd be gone by the time they came up in the third round. Just spitballing here, but a MI who can really hit and has power upside...and Bogaerts has an out clause in 2022...
    I think they already have a really good 2bman long term in Jeter Downs. Yorke seemed like a real reach...he won't make it as a SS in the majors, and I'd be surprised if he surpasses Downs at 2b.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      I think they already have a really good 2bman long term in Jeter Downs. Yorke seemed like a real reach...he won't make it as a SS in the majors, and I'd be surprised if he surpasses Downs at 2b.
      They drafted a way overslot guy in Round 3. That was always the reason.

Comment

You're absolutely right about him being a reach. Cavebird's right about that pick allowing them to overslot round 3. Even with that, I think the BoSox over-thought the pick. I will say that the college evaluators disagree with him not being able to stick at SS long term, even in the bigs.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• It's rare for a high school 2B to be selected in the 1st round of the draft. I had read that only 5 were taken since 1967, but Baseball Reference lists 10. Still, that's an unusual pick.

Comment

You're absolutely right about him being a reach. Cavebird's right about that pick allowing them to overslot round 3. Even with that, I think the BoSox over-thought the pick. I will say that the college evaluators disagree with him not being able to stick at SS long term, even in the bigs.
            When in doubt, I always assume a guy won't stick at SS. I forget the last time I looked to see the stats on this, if I ever did, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that SS represents the highest number of draftees among infielders, and the vast majority of them end up sliding elsewhere, if their bats allow them to continue to progress to the majors. SS is hard and based on what I've read on this kid, unless he improves, he won't stick there (though, it isn't unprecedented for a guy to put the work in to stay passable at the position).

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
              It's rare for a high school 2B to be selected in the 1st round of the draft. I had read that only 5 were taken since 1967, but Baseball Reference lists 10. Still, that's an unusual pick.
              Yeah, I don't know the numbers, but I'd bet almost all current major league 2bman started their minor league career at ss.

The last couple of drafts and been trend breakers, though. There was a time when drafting a short, right-handed below average defender already slotted down to 1b on the defensive spectrum would never have been a top 5 pick, and almost never would have even been a top 15 pick. But two such players have been taken 3rd and 1st the last two years. And I ain't mad at either pick.

Comment

When in doubt, I always assume a guy won't stick at SS. I forget the last time I looked to see the stats on this, if I ever did, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that SS represents the highest number of draftees among infielders, and the vast majority of them end up sliding elsewhere, if their bats allow them to continue to progress to the majors. SS is hard and based on what I've read on this kid, unless he improves, he won't stick there (though, it isn't unprecedented for a guy to put the work in to stay passable at the position).
                The Brewers once fielded a team of 9 former shortstops. Rare for a catcher, but Surhoff was.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                  The Brewers once fielded a team of 9 former shortstops. Rare for a catcher, but Surhoff was.
                  Which year was that? I've never heard/seen that before and would love to see the roster. Must have been a day when Rob Deer was not playing....

Comment

• It was late 80's, I think. I know it included Surhoff, Yount, Molitor, and I think Shefflied (drafted as a SS) as well. And then the guy who played shortstop, so that's five.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                      It was late 80's, I think. I know it included Surhoff, Yount, Molitor, and I think Shefflied (drafted as a SS) as well. And then the guy who played shortstop, so that's five.
                      I could see it being '89 or '90. Brock at 1B was a really good athlete, I could certainly see him playing SS earlier in life; same for Braggs and Vaughn. Gantner at 2B definitely played SS in the minors, and Bill Spiers was the regular SS at that time.

Comment

I could see it being '89 or '90. Brock at 1B was a really good athlete, I could certainly see him playing SS earlier in life; same for Braggs and Vaughn. Gantner at 2B definitely played SS in the minors, and Bill Spiers was the regular SS at that time.
                        That sounds right.

Comment

Brock at 1B was a really good athlete, I could certainly see him playing SS earlier in life
                          Any relation to Lou?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                            Any relation to Lou?
                            LOL...no.

Comment

• Eduardo Rodriguez shut down for the season.

Comment

• Looks to me like the Sox have raised the white flag already with the Workman trade.

JBJ and Pillar should be the next ones dealt. Maybe McHugh if anyone wants him.

ETA: Also they got Nick Pivetta who will probably start all the games he can...what could go wrong there?
                                Last edited by Pauly; 08-21-2020, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X