Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2K19 - Boston Red Sox

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid Controller Jacobs's Avatar
    Last edited by Controller Jacobs; 11-25-2013 at 03:06 PM.
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Sox did a great job unloaded their bad contracts before 2013, but have set themselves up as needing to be players in free agency.
    They'll have to re-sign or replace Ellsbury, Drew, Napoli and Saltalamacchia.

They also have a lot of 2015 FAs, including: Ortiz, Peavy, Dempster, Lester, Gomes, Uehara.
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Red sox non tender Andrew Bailey and Ryan Kalish.

Pierzynski signed for one year, $8.25 million
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Does Ellsbury's departure open up a full-time job for JBJ? Or do they move Victorino back to CF and sign a corner guy?

Quote Originally Posted by joncarlos View Post
    Does Ellsbury's departure open up a full-time job for JBJ? Or do they move Victorino back to CF and sign a corner guy?
    I am assuming that Bradley is the fallback plan in case they don't sign one of the remaining major free agents.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
    I am assuming that Bradley is the fallback plan in case they don't sign one of the remaining major free agents.
    I read one article suggesting that Bradley isn't the fallback plan - he's the plan.

If so, the Red Sox could end up just signing a 1B and reliever(s). If so, that's a confident GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
    I read one article suggesting that Bradley isn't the fallback plan - he's the plan.

If so, the Red Sox could end up just signing a 1B and reliever(s). If so, that's an overconfident GM.
    Fixed.

Cherington turning into Theo "I am such a genius, anything I do is perfect" Epstein? Has he ever heard of "past performance is not an indication of future results"?

I like Bradley, but adding him to the outfield while subtracting Ellsbury is a major, major downgrade, even if they upgrade the bullpen and maybe 1B.

-- William James

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
    Cherington turning into Theo "I am such a genius, anything I do is perfect" Epstein? Has he ever heard of "past performance is not an indication of future results"?
    referencing mistakes of the last GM and then asking if the new one has ever heard of past performance not being indicatitive future results seems like contradictory logic.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Quote Originally Posted by heyelander View Post
    referencing mistakes of the last GM and then asking if the new one has ever heard of past performance not being indicatitive future results seems like contradictory logic.
    Theo made a lot of mistakes--and of course did a lot of things very right. His downfall in Boston was when he started believing his press clippings and started claiming all of the credit that should have been spread throughout the organization. What I was trying to say is that Cherington should be careful, that humility and sharing the credit go a long way, and that he should remember that getting it right once does not guarantee that one's way is always right.

-- William James