2K24: Baltimore Orioles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    Lat strain, GM Mike Elias says he is being shut down and will miss a "decent amount of time."
    Grade 2 lat strain, probably out multiple months. His MLB debut probably won't happen this season, sadly.

Comment

• Here's one that will surprise everyone: the MLB team leader in reliever WAR is none other than the Orioles!!! And it's not even close. O's are at 3.6 WAR and the 2nd place team, the Yankees, are at 1.9. There are only 8 teams in MLB that have a positive RP team WAR.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
        Here's one that will surprise everyone: the MLB team leader in reliever WAR is none other than the Orioles!!! And it's not even close. O's are at 3.6 WAR and the 2nd place team, the Yankees, are at 1.9. There are only 8 teams in MLB that have a positive RP team WAR.
        Is that bWAR? Fangraphs has them 3rd

Comment

• My favourite Baltimore reliever right now is Felix Bautista.

24 IP, 17 H, 23 K, 9 BB. 1.88 ERA, 1.08 WHIP.

26 years old and FB tops at 100. 2 saves so far this year, but I like him to take over the role at some point.

Who stands in his way in that bullpen?
          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
            Is that bWAR? Fangraphs has them 3rd
            Yes, bWAR.

Comment

• Austin Hays hit for the cycle tonite in a 6-inning game.

Comment

• After going his first 80 PAs without an RBI, Rutschman has hit .351/.385/.784 with 3 HRs and 9 RBIs in his last 10 games.

Comment

• O's quietly sneaking up on .500

Comment

• Here's an amazing piece of trivia -- the Baltimore Orioles had just two starting shortstops from 1967 until the start of the 2002 season.

Comment

• Originally posted by harmon View Post
                      O's quietly sneaking up on .500
                      They made it there tonite! Unlikely that they'll stay there long.

Comment

They made it there tonite! Unlikely that they'll stay there long.
                        If they sell this year, it would be horrifying

Comment

If they sell this year, it would be horrifying
                          No, they should sell because they cant compete this year. That's the down side of this current hot streak - it will encourage fans to scream for a "win now" strategy when they're really not this good. Trade Lopez, Mancini and Santander for what they can get. FG projects them for 75-87, which would about 15 wins better than they projected for preseason.

Comment

No, they should sell because they cant compete this year. That's the down side of this current hot streak - it will encourage fans to scream for a "win now" strategy when they're really not this good. Trade Lopez, Mancini and Santander for what they can get. FG projects them for 75-87, which would about 15 wins better than they projected for preseason.
                            Why can't they compete? Their payroll is dead last in MLB at just $45m. They can easily double it if they wanted to. Damian Lilliard in the NBA just signed an extension that will pay him more per season than the Orioles are paying their entire team.

Comment

Why can't they compete? Their payroll is dead last in MLB at just $45m. They can easily double it if they wanted to. Damian Lilliard in the NBA just signed an extension that will pay him more per season than the Orioles are paying their entire team.
                              Good discussion. I certainly understand where rhd is coming from - I don't think they have the roster to go far in the playoffs. It's a similar issue the Mariners have dealt with for a few years. If the Orioles could add a few players without sending top prospects and at least make a run at the playoffs there is probably some value in that, financially as well as in publicity, building the fan base etc. I'd like to see them make a run.
                              ---------------------------------------------
                              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                              ---------------------------------------------
                              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                                Good discussion. I certainly understand where rhd is coming from - I don't think they have the roster to go far in the playoffs. It's a similar issue the Mariners have dealt with for a few years. If the Orioles could add a few players without sending top prospects and at least make a run at the playoffs there is probably some value in that, financially as well as in publicity, building the fan base etc. I'd like to see them make a run.
                                They can certainly take on salary, though.

My friends and I usually have this discussion -- these bottom feeders are always on "the cycle": they dump, those prospects start to make the roster, some do well, other don't, they continue to dump, the older prospects start to become solid players or stars, then over time the newer prospects make the roster, but by the time the newer prospects become solid players, the team is trading off the older, former prospects. Wash, rinse & repeat. Once in a blue moon do the stars align and the older prospects and newer prospects emerge together, then that's when the team should make trades to help. It happens, but infrequently -- 2015 Royals, 2016 Cubs, I'm sure there's a few others.

This is the time for the Orioles. They haven't been this good since 2016 (which was definitely a team that was on the cycle as well). Go out and make a few low cost deals for pitchers like Paul Blackburn or Daniel Bard, add $10-$20m in salary, and let's see what we have here. Stranger things have happened.

Comment

Working...
                                X