No announcement yet.

2K24: New York Yankees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yankees manager Aaron Boone announced that 2017 first-round draft pick Clarke Schmidt will make his first MLB start Sunday against the Marlins.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Gerrit Cole, on Tuesday became just the second pitcher in postseason history to strike out 13-plus batters without yielding a walk. Tom Seaver also did it in 1973.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Found this interesting about Britton:

I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          Found this interesting about Britton:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/unique-...192713710.html
          Scott Boras
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Hal Steinbrenner apologized to Yankees fans today for not winning the World Series this year.

I laughed.

1996-2000 left town a long time ago - and that dynasty ain't never coming back
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
              Scott Boras
              Very smart guy. Used to be in a fantasy league with the guy who was responsible for building most of the arb cases for Boras. In this case, I suspect if the Yankees take the option, Britton will be very happy. I LOL'd pretty hard at the part about the Yankees needing to watch spending in 2021 due to the pandemic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                Hal Steinbrenner apologized to Yankees fans today for not winning the World Series this year.

I laughed.

1996-2000 left town a long time ago - and that dynasty ain't never coming back
                It's this arrogance -- that any season without a title is an abject failure -- is why they're hated.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                  It's this arrogance -- that any season without a title is an abject failure -- is why they're hated.
                  I hear you, though in his defense, if I'm starting with access to the most (or at least 2nd most) money in baseball, and the roster they had, setting the expectation of a title isn't unrealistic.

Comment

Shouldn't this be the attitude of every team? If not, what are they playing for?

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

• not when leagues have 30 to 32 teams.

The Bill Russell Celtics won most of their titles in a 9-team NBA with several franchises that couldn't get out of their own way. GM Red Auerbach once admitted that he got the Rochester Royals to pass on Russell in the draft by getting the Celtics owner to guarantee a bunch of Ice Capades dates at the Royals owner's arena, among other shenanigans.

so yes, for those Celtics, not winning the title could be seen as an abject failure.

but if every GM in the modern era had that attitude, their suicide rate would skyrocket from such an impossible goal.

winning a pennant means something. so does winning a division title, or reaching the postseason.

for the Yankees, not reaching the postseason - yes, that's an abject failure.

but after endless years of crapshoots, well - we know it's a crapshoot.
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                        Shouldn't this be the attitude of every team? If not, what are they playing for?
                        Yes, exactly. And how many of those other teams apologize to their fans for not winning the title?

I agree with JJ. Not making the playoffs is one thing, but not winning the title? That gets a “C’Mon Man!!!” Especially this year, in a 16- tm scrum.

Comment

• Catcher Kyle Higashioka started 5 of the 7 Yankees post-season games compared to only 2 starts by a healthy Gary Sanchez, who is under team control for 2 more years and eligible for arbitration this winter. It's definitely a situation to keep an eye on in the coming months.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Yes, exactly. And how many of those other teams apologize to their fans for not winning the title?

I agree with JJ. Not making the playoffs is one thing, but not winning the title? That gets a “C’Mon Man!!!” Especially this year, in a 16- tm scrum.
                            Fair enough. I guess it should be a long-term goal to win a title, but not the expectation every season.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                            Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                            Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

• Yankees manager Aaron Boone said Saturday that even with the signing of Brett Gardner, Clint Frazier will be the team's starting left fielder.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                                Yankees manager Aaron Boone said Saturday that even with the signing of Brett Gardner, Clint Frazier will be the team's starting left fielder.
                                I really like Frazier. Could he be the rare undervalued Yankees? Who's hitting leadoff on this team? DJ? Hicks? Or could it be Frazier at some point? Even if it's DJ, Frasier could get a decent lineup spot, especially in case of the inevitable Judge/Stanton injuries.

Comment

Working...
                                X