Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
    How do we know they didn't?
    They didn't put him on the IL when it happened back in May. So, they must not have thought it was a problem at that time.

Originally posted by Ken View Post
    What fixes a concussion?
    Doctors recommend rest and limiting physical and mental activity after a concussion. Not sure if that fixes it. But it greatly decreases the risk of further injury to the brain and aids recovery.

I dont think going on the IL for 2 months changes it.
    I don't think the doctors knew back in May that Rizzo had a concussion which indicates incompetence. If Rizzo goes on the IL immediately maybe his symptoms go away after a few weeks instead of lingering for several months.

They likely decided the best/only path forward was playing through it.
    I seriously doubt that doctors told Rizzo to play through a concussion. That would be negligence and total irresponsibility not to mention a potential lawsuit.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
      I seriously doubt that doctors told Rizzo to play through a concussion. That would be negligence and total irresponsibility not to mention a potential lawsuit.
      Your perception on this seems very black and white. Concussion = bad = must immediately IL and let the player recover.

My experience both having concussions and seeing others is that the brain is much, much more complex than that.

Rizzo went through post-concussion protocol following the May 28th game. You don't go through post-concussion protocol when you don't have a concussion.... Boone noted "He went through MLB, all the testing immediately [after the Tatis collision]. Of late, started to complain [about] being foggy"

Then, the Yankees allowed him to play. So your "serious doubt" above appears to actually be the case. And the Yankees aren't hiding that.

But as I noted above, not every concussion is the same. Many, many football players have a concussion and return within a short time period. Baseball isn't (generally) a contact sport.

I would guess that there are several concussions every year in MLB that don't lead to time on the IL, since they are minor. From the mlb guidelines on concussions:

"the designation of a concussed player to the seven-day DL remains a club choice. While it is not mandatory that a player who suffers a concussion is assigned to the DL, the league clearly expects that teams will make use of the new designation when appropriate and avoid returning players to activity too soon."

Ultimately the way I see this is that the brain is really complex and no concussion is the same. Rizzo didn't immediately have obvious symptoms but he did later on. It's unfortunate but at the same time they seemed to have followed all the recommended protocols and MLB signed off on it. If we are just angry and want someone to blame or sue, sure target the Yankees, but in reality this could have just been one that was not simple to diagnose or fix.
      Last edited by Ken; 08-16-2023, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Your perception on this seems very black and white. Concussion = bad = must immediately IL and let the player recover.

My experience both having concussions and seeing others is that the brain is much, much more complex than that.

Rizzo went through post-concussion protocol following the May 28th game. You don't go through post-concussion protocol when you don't have a concussion.... Boone noted "He went through MLB, all the testing immediately [after the Tatis collision]. Of late, started to complain [about] being foggy"

Then, the Yankees allowed him to play. So your "serious doubt" above appears to actually be the case. And the Yankees aren't hiding that.

But as I noted above, not every concussion is the same. Many, many football players have a concussion and return within a short time period. Baseball isn't (generally) a contact sport.

I would guess that there are several concussions every year in MLB that don't lead to time on the IL, since they are minor. From the mlb guidelines on concussions:

"the designation of a concussed player to the seven-day DL remains a club choice. While it is not mandatory that a player who suffers a concussion is assigned to the DL, the league clearly expects that teams will make use of the new designation when appropriate and avoid returning players to activity too soon."

Ultimately the way I see this is that the brain is really complex and no concussion is the same. Rizzo didn't immediately have obvious symptoms but he did later on. It's unfortunate but at the same time they seemed to have followed all the recommended protocols and MLB signed off on it. If we are just angry and want someone to blame or sue, sure target the Yankees, but in reality this could have just been one that was not simple to diagnose or fix.
        Certainly the NFL feels this way. Different sport sure, more contact absolutely, but yes, if you have concussion symptoms in the NFL, you cannot be cleared to play until you no longer have them. I wonder what the difference in protocols are between the two sports. Perhaps it would be best for MLB to review them for the next CBA and follow the NFL's lead here.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post

Certainly the NFL feels this way. Different sport sure, more contact absolutely, but yes, if you have concussion symptoms in the NFL, you cannot be cleared to play until you no longer have them. I wonder what the difference in protocols are between the two sports. Perhaps it would be best for MLB to review them for the next CBA and follow the NFL's lead here.
          To clarify, Rizzo went through the protocol as well and didn't have symptoms. His stated symptoms popped up weeks/months later. So I'm not sure how being cleared to play is relevant.

Comment

• Yanks got shut out by the Braves for the 2nd straight game and got swept. 3 runs scored in the entire series. They now are below .500. The ship continues to sink and the 30-yr winning streak is in jeopardy.

Comment

I didn't realize that Rizzo underwent tests back in May. Glad to hear that he did. But, it still seems strange that nothing showed up with the initial testing.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Yanks lost their 7th straight today, clinching a series loss at home to their most hated rival, the RedSox. Their ace gave up 6 runs in 4 IP, and for the 3rd time in 4 games they had 4 hits or less (2 today). It must be painful to be a Yankees fan these days.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                  Yanks lost their 7th straight today, clinching a series loss at home to their most hated rival, the RedSox. Their ace gave up 6 runs in 4 IP, and for the 3rd time in 4 games they had 4 hits or less (2 today). It must be painful to be a Yankees fan these days.
                  They're also under .500 at the latest in a season since 1995.

Comment

• 8 straight losses now.

Comment

• Yanks are recalling Oswald Peraza and calling up Everson Pereira. Calling up the young prospects is what many Yanks fans have been clamoring for lately.

Comment

• The kids played tonite but Yanks still lose again at home to a bad team, ekeing out only 2 hits. 9th straight. Only 4 longer losing streaks in MLB this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                          The kids played tonite but Yanks still lose again at home to a bad team, ekeing out only 2 hits. 9th straight. Only 4 longer losing streaks in MLB this year.
                          Longest losing streak since 1982!

Comment

• 2 hits...by the 2nd string catcher. lol

Comment

• Built like a brick shithouse and tree trunks for legs.

Comment

Working...
                              X