2K24: New York Yankees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    An over the hill Hal Morris was better than what the A's actually got for Big Mac.
    Perhaps in retrospect, but at the time, the A's were looking for future help, not some aging no-power-all-average veteran.

Getting back to the subject of this thread--With all their resources and legendary history, I don't understand why management refuses to take a step back for a few years and rebuild. Get younger, maybe even hold on to their "prospects" and let them play for the Yankees instead of fizzling out elsewhere. They did just that a bit over 20 years ago and look what happened. The most rabid fans and the hack writers will howl, but the more intelligent fans will see what the plan is. The fans will still come to the games, listen to the radio, and watch on TV.

Set aside the egos and build for a future that doesn't top out at making the playoffs.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

• "The fans will still come to the games, listen to the radio, and watch on TV."

Many of them will come to Mets games instead, if the Mets' revival is for real. The Mets owned the entire region from around 1984-90, even though at the time the Yankees had a winning record in some years (but never made the playoffs). It would only take two Mets playoff appearances to none for the Yankees to send a lot of the bandwagoners outta the Bronx again.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
        Perhaps in retrospect, but at the time, the A's were looking for future help, not some aging no-power-all-average veteran.

Getting back to the subject of this thread--With all their resources and legendary history, I don't understand why management refuses to take a step back for a few years and rebuild. Get younger, maybe even hold on to their "prospects" and let them play for the Yankees instead of fizzling out elsewhere. They did just that a bit over 20 years ago and look what happened. The most rabid fans and the hack writers will howl, but the more intelligent fans will see what the plan is. The fans will still come to the games, listen to the radio, and watch on TV.

Set aside the egos and build for a future that doesn't top out at making the playoffs.

Their prospects are all overhyped They're better off trading them before everyone figures it out.

In all seriousness they HAVE gotten younger this year, they are at least trying to get a little younger without giving up on 2015 (Eovaldi, Wilson, Didi). I know Tanaka's elbow is going to implode at some point but how many teams have a better trio of <26 year olds than Pineda/Tanaka/Eovaldi? (Other than the other team in NYC of course?)

Comment

When you have the financial resources that the Yankees have you should be able to field a playoff worthy team and still be in full rebuild mode. The Yankees can afford to make deals where they take on salary to get quality players without giving up prospects. I bet if they offered the Phillies two marginal players for Hamels and Howard the Phillies would stongly consider it. The Yankees certainly have the money to do this type of thing if they wished.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
            Their prospects are all overhyped They're better off trading them before everyone figures it out.

In all seriousness they HAVE gotten younger this year, they are at least trying to get a little younger without giving up on 2015 (Eovaldi, Wilson, Didi). I know Tanaka's elbow is going to implode at some point but how many teams have a better trio of <26 year olds than Pineda/Tanaka/Eovaldi? (Other than the other team in NYC of course?)
            Alright, I'll give you the talent of the trio, but what have any of them ever done, other than get injured? Combined, they've won a total of 42 career games...forty two. And more than half of those wins came for their former teams. I want to see all three do something, anything, to fulfill that promise before I'll call them anything but over hyped.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Yankees prospect who may open with the big club come April

TAMPA, Fla. — At the end of all those baseball showcases in Orange County, Calif., the format would often be the same. Few of the coaches and children who had come together for the day knew one another. The director would stand in front of the players and call out the names of those who had excelled that day: the best fielder, the best arm, the best hitter.

The name Robert Refsnyder was called out frequently, and as the Korean-born boy rose to accept his award, the people looked at him almost in bewilderment. The face did not match the name.

“Yeah, that’s me,” he would say, laughing to himself. “I’m Rob Refsnyder.”

“It’s not something I am yearning to do,” he said of being a spokesman for adoptees. “But I am happy to do it. I want people to know that it’s O.K. to be different, and I’m going to be as accessible as I can be about it. I have never shied away from it, and if kids want to ask me about it, I’ll talk about it. I might make a joke, but I’ll never hide from being adopted. I’m proud of my family. I play for the name Refsnyder.”

Refsnyder was adopted in 1991 when he was a little over 5 months old.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                Yankees prospect who may open with the big club come April

TAMPA, Fla. — At the end of all those baseball showcases in Orange County, Calif., the format would often be the same. Few of the coaches and children who had come together for the day knew one another. The director would stand in front of the players and call out the names of those who had excelled that day: the best fielder, the best arm, the best hitter.

The name Robert Refsnyder was called out frequently, and as the Korean-born boy rose to accept his award, the people looked at him almost in bewilderment. The face did not match the name.

“Yeah, that’s me,” he would say, laughing to himself. “I’m Rob Refsnyder.”

“It’s not something I am yearning to do,” he said of being a spokesman for adoptees. “But I am happy to do it. I want people to know that it’s O.K. to be different, and I’m going to be as accessible as I can be about it. I have never shied away from it, and if kids want to ask me about it, I’ll talk about it. I might make a joke, but I’ll never hide from being adopted. I’m proud of my family. I play for the name Refsnyder.”

Refsnyder was adopted in 1991 when he was a little over 5 months old.
                Nice story. Hope he makes it.

Comment

• Originally posted by willthethrill View Post
                  Nice story. Hope he makes it.
                  It's always about The Almighty Narrative with the Yankees, isn't it? That said, I hope the kid gets the job based on performance rather than "human interest" and spin.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                  -- William James

Comment

• Yesterday, I read on Rotoworld that Chris Capuano was the preliminary leader for the 5th SP spot, over Adam Warren and Esmil Rogers. My reaction was, "Seriously, that's the best the Mighty Yankees can do?"

-- William James

Comment

• apparently, those season tickets don't sell themselves anymore

EricFisherSBJ 3:49pm via Twitter Web Client

NYY makes official plans to retire uniform numbers of Pettitte (46), Williams (51), and Posada (20) this season.

EricFisherSBJ 3:49pm via Twitter Web Client

Willie Randolph also to get plaque in Monument Park in addition those coming for Pettite, Bernie and Posada

We missed the fall of the Roman Empire, so this will have to do

"Former Yankees' second baseman Chuck Knoblauch apparently isn't too happy with the organization's decision to honor his former teammate Andy Pettitte by retiring his number and giving him a plaque in Monument Park this season."

Congrats to 46. Yankees retiring his number. Hopefully they don't retire it like his HGH testimony.

[ouch]

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Because steroids are worse than beating your wife...

But Knoblauch, who played for the Yankees from 1998 to 2001, hasn't forgotten. Still, he may not be the right poster boy for ethical behavior. The Twins had to cancel Knoblauch's team Hall of Fame ceremony following his arrest on accusations of assaulting his ex-wife last summer.

Comment

It's always about The Almighty Narrative with the Yankees, isn't it?
                          with you? yes it is.
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by BigJonEmpire View Post
                            Because steroids are worse than beating your wife...
                            That would be ex-wife...I know, I know. Too soon...

He's got a point though, it's just off-target. How many numbers of very good players are they going to retire? Eventually they'll have to issue 3 digit uniform numbers. It's not like any of those guys are going into the HOF...
                            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                            -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                              Knoblauch is a douchebag but that doesn't preclude him from being correct. Pettitte is such a worthless hypocrite. It still kills me that the loser had the audacity to pen a book entitled "Targeting a Life of Integrity and Purity." Puuuuuuuke. Apparently his targeting needs a hell of a lot more work.
                              I think Pettitte is a douchebag and a hypocrite. I think he is a traitorous scum. But Knoblauch is in no position to toss stones. Its like Aaron Hernandez bad-mouthing OJ Simpson.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                                with you? yes it is.
                                It's like attempting to watch the Olympics. They spend so much time on The Narrative that there's precious little time for The Competition to be shown.

Let the player rise and fall on his own merits (and I hope this one rises) and never mind The Heart-Warming Story.

-- William James

Comment

Working...
                                X