Bernie Williams
    Torii Hunter
    Larry Walker
    Duke Snider
    Jim Edmonds
    Jim Rice
    Shawn Green
    Scott Rolen

The counting stats are on the low side for a HOF outfielder, but will his all-around game and postseason heroics be enough to get him in? I think he'll be an interesting one.
    Yes, first ballot lock even if he retired after this season.
    0%
    Yes, after a few tries even if he retired after this season.
    0%
    Yes, but needs 2-3 more good seasons.
    0%
    No, great career, but not a Hall of Famer.
    0%
    No, give me a break.
    0%

Seriously? If he makes it...IF...it'll be like Duke Snider...11 years of voting and people reminiscing on his playing days.
    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
      Seriously? If he makes it...IF...it'll be like Duke Snider...11 years of voting and people reminiscing on his playing days.
      Yeah, I kinda agree. And they'd definitely have to not be Met fans.

I think players today need north of 1500 Runs/RBIs and 400 HRs if they're not extraordinary BA artists. I just don't believe the post-season holds much water these days since many of the same teams make it year after year. Someone claiming Andy Pettitte has 19 victories doesn't mean much when he's got 45 post-season starts.

Good player, he'll stick on the ballot if he's not voted in, but I would lean towards no.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        I think players today need north of 1500 Runs/RBIs and 400 HRs if they're not extraordinary BA artists.
        Beltran could surpass those milestones with two more good seasons. Although, it looks like he won't be stealing many more bases. He turns 37 next April. And with the way he has played this year, i think he can put up some decent numbers (20 hr, 80 rbi) for 2-3 seasons barring injury.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I have to say, I have the opposite reaction. I am hoping that he continues to have great postseasons and that highlights what is already a damn good (and underrated) career. B-Ref has him at 67.5 WAR and they don't even really like his defense. Maybe someday he'll be forgiven for The Strikeout. I'd seriously think about taking him over Bernie. And I'm sorry but Duke Snider is a legitimately good Hall of Famer. Jim Edmonds is a pretty good comp and I think I'd be fine with both of them being in the Hall. Beltran probably has an edge over Edmonds because he was more durable (can't say that about too many players)

Comment

Hall of the Very Good.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

His regular season stats clearly leave him out at this point, but I think a lot of us underappreciate postseason stats when it comes to HOF worthiness. I know not everyone has the opportunity to play a lot in the postseason, but that shouldn't stop us from considering what those who have played in the postseason have done. And Beltran has done a lot.

It elevates him into the HOF conversation for me, and highlights legit skills that he has always had. He has always been a HOF level talent to me, especially when he had the wheels to make him a legit 5 tooler, but injuries have slowed him. If he retired right now, I'd have a hard time putting him in, but he isn't someone I'd be shocked or upset to see make it.

Comment

He probably almost deserves to get there already - very good hitter, excellent defensive OF and amazing and almost unequaled baserunner.

He'll get in after about 10 tries, and will deserve it. Unique skillset and absurd postseason stats.

Duke Snider is why you need to bunch your stats before age 30 to seem like a HOFer, and little other backup needed. See Rice, Jim.

The worst strategy is Dwight Evans - if you aren't great by age 30, don't bother with a stellar "back 9"
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                X