No announcement yet.

Yeah so global warming huh...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we've just had the driest year in Northern California since they started keeping records in 1868
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
      we've just had the driest year in Northern California since they started keeping records in 1868
      RJEL girl has been here 3 months and is already saying we can't spare our water for southern CA.

as an aside, I'm outside of LA and its 81 degrees outside.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I just don't understand an "anti-science" stance other than as a "head in the sand/pro-religion" thing
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
          What's next for the GOP? An attack on gravity?
          There's no such thing as gravity. The Earth sucks.
          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
            I just don't understand an "anti-science" stance other than as a "head in the sand/pro-religion" thing
            You forgot the torture businesses with silly profit job killing restrictions.

Comment

Racists? I...uhhh...I don't even know how to connect the dots on that one.
              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

why would anyone young enough to know what twitter is, follow Pat Sajak?
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

salon had a decent article on how some game show hosts are inclined to be conservative. biologically (being older white men) and environmentally, that the shows are based off skill not luck. i think etc.. i believe politics is subjective.

check this out. it's a Hippo saving Gnu from Crocodile

actually the Gnu looks like he's a goner anyways. but after seeing the longer video version i realize the hippo wasn''t opening it's mouth to clean, but to want to lift the Gnu out of the water. and i don't think it's misplaced maternal instinct either.

also, i like this Ducklings vs Stairs. little ducks are cool. if you've ever seen them follow one, it's not only the way they follow their mother but how they speed up and slow down when she does.

it is like a video game. like frogger.

also, did you know that elephants actually cry?

the baby elephant was rejected by it's zoo mother and cried after for 5 hours... you know, ppl say that we cry because we have too much of our mother in us. but it would seem the opposite that we don't have enough.

also, here's a must see video. i can't embed it. it's a few years old and is a short video of an baby elephant orphange in Kenya. http://video.nationalgeographic.com/...aned-elephants if the link does work the video is called The Elephant Whisperers - National Geographic 30k-40k elephants are killed a year.

..thats the bad news. the good news is that cat that saves that boy recently from a dog. im sure everyone has seen it. you know a cat has 300 million neurons in it's cerebral cortex and a dog has 160 million. i never knew that.

..it's not that im worried about us surviving. .. but i also think, there's no way we are going to screw this up because it's kind of special... in a 100 years we could totally control the planets weather. but i worry about the poor and the animals.

Comment

Article from WSJ that sums up many of my reservations. Note the bullet points in the middle.

Credentials: Dr. Koonin was undersecretary for science in the Energy Department during President Barack Obama's first term

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

It's settled

Comment

Interesting opinion from BP's chief science officer.

Comment

well, "reject global warming" is a straw man aside from the looniest of tunes, so it's a bit disingenuous of a response to a serious Op-Ed piece by an expert.

"The crucial scientific question for policy isn't whether the climate is changing. That is a settled matter: The climate has always changed and always will..... We know, for instance, that during the 20th century the Earth's global average surface temperature rose 1.4 degrees Fahrenheit.

Nor is the crucial question whether humans are influencing the climate. That is no hoax: There is little doubt in the scientific community that continually growing amounts of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, due largely to carbon-dioxide emissions from the conventional use of fossil fuels, are influencing the climate. There is also little doubt that the carbon dioxide will persist in the atmosphere for several centuries. The impact today of human activity appears to be comparable to the intrinsic, natural variability of the climate system itself.

Rather, the crucial, unsettled scientific question for policy is, "How will the climate change over the next century under both natural and human influences?" Answers to that question at the global and regional levels, as well as to equally complex questions of how ecosystems and human activities will be affected, should inform our choices about energy and infrastructure.

But—here's the catch—those questions are the hardest ones to answer."

I do not know why that is so controversial, but such comments seem to be forbidden. It's public discourse these days, though - focus on the nuts in the opposition, whose idiocy is easily lampooned. The left and the right both enjoy it.
                          Last edited by Judge Jude; 09-22-2014, 09:40 AM.
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

i didn't read the article yet. but i expect more from the wsj on the weekends in the review. and i usually get it. during the week i will actually read brett stephens thos he doesn't write as much anymore. i do like the weekened review tho. the last 3 ones have kind of sucked tho.

Comment

"There is no science that supports his implication that climate change is negligible."

where did he conclude that again?

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

ok, where does he imply that climate change is neglible?

verb (used with object), implied, implying.
                                to indicate or suggest without being explicitly stated

He doesn't start out with the proper conclusion, apparently, or any conclusion at all.

DROWN THE WITCH!

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                                X