Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
      Spell check missed that.

J
      Blaming spell check is so 90's ... it's much more trendy to blame predictive text these days. Spell check still involves a degree of personal liability. With predictive text you can blame all-encompassing overreach of technology into our daily lives.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        Oxymoron's make better band names.

So Immanent Scientists FTW
        Eminem Scientists

M&M Scientists

so many possibilities...
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Everyone has to believe in something. Some believe in a higher being watching over us deciding if we've been good boys and girls or not, allowing us to reach a wonderful place where we can see all of our dead relatives. Others believe the earth is getting warmer and warmer and some day anyone living on the flatlands next to the sea will be washed away with the tide as the rest of us are baked at 130 degrees.

I believe I need to leave for work.
          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

LoL so the myth of man made cataclysmic climate change is now equivalent to religious freaks? I believe in science and climate change. I believe the earth goes through natural climate change all the time. I also believe reducing carbon footprints and all that BS is just that BS. I believe it'll be thousands and millions of years before anything cataclysmic happens to the earth because of climate change and who gives a fuck about that?

Comment

Originally posted by Roto Rooter View Post
              LoL so the myth of man made cataclysmic climate change is now equivalent to religious freaks? I believe in science and climate change. I believe the earth goes through natural climate change all the time. I also believe reducing carbon footprints and all that BS is just that BS. I believe it'll be thousands and millions of years before anything cataclysmic happens to the earth because of climate change and who gives a fuck about that?
              Actually I'm making the comparison based on what those of us who don't believe in a higher being and how we think about the rantings and beliefs of those that do, and balancing that with how I (and probably others) feel about the rantings of the global warming conglomerate.
              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                Except for one of those groups has, you know, exhaustive evidence for that which they claim. Here's a hint: it's not the god group.
                Hardly exhaustive. Most of it is mathematical modeling.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                  Hardly exhaustive. Most of it is mathematical modeling.
                  Of which the overwhelming amount - based on the IPCC data and preliminary reports - are grossly wrong.

But this is all child's play. The fur isn't gonna really hit the fan until discovery starts going hot and heavy in the Mann v. National Review et al case.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I'm pretty surprised that you're chiming in here. I guess enough time has passed for that egg on your face regarding the global warming email "scandal" to wash off.

As for Mann, he got pretty well vindicated by a DC Superior Court about two months ago --- http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/...rder-CEI-1.pdf

The climate change denying right wing took it pretty clearly on the jaw in the Superior Court ruling, just like they always, always, always seem to. But yeah, we'll see if the defamation suit does anything significant to the debate. I'm not sure how it would really change anything, particularly given that this involves a single climatologist, but I guess it's interesting.

Seriously, folks. The President isn't from Kenya. Planes aren't spewing out chemtrails to make the population more docile (or whatever the fuck). Global warming isn't a hoax perpetrated by scientists who have duped the entire world in order to get more research funding (rofl). FEMA isn't building concentration camps. The crazy chatter isn't doing anyone any favors.
                    Wait. You're defending FEMA?

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

I'm pretty surprised that you're chiming in here. I guess enough time has passed for that egg on your face regarding the global warming email "scandal" to wash off.
                      Egg? Hell, I'd stand by everything in that abomination. The email scandal certainly doesn't prove or disprove global warming; I never said it did. It did prove these clowns don't want real peer review, they want an echo chamber, real science be damned.

The climate change denying right wing took it pretty clearly on the jaw in the Superior Court ruling, just like they always, always, always seem to. But yeah, we'll see if the defamation suit does anything significant to the debate. I'm not sure how it would really change anything, particularly given that this involves a single climatologist, but I guess it's interesting.
                      Think Progress certainly thought they took it on the jaw, and the National Review did much moreso than CEI did. If you're following the case closely, there's clearly two paths being driven by Mann's opponents - the National Review wants to get out of this as quickly and easily as possible, and CEI wanted to get to discovery. CEI considers Mann ground zero for the entire global warming debate - he's the main author of the hockey stick graph, the most visible single face who's a researcher, and about the second most vocal in the US among what I'd call "respected" scientists.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Failure to record temperature rises in the Arctic explains apparent ‘flatlining’, study finds, undermining sceptics’ argument that climate change has stopped

Turns out it could be worse that people imagined. Who'd a thunk that?

Scientists can now explain the “pause” in global warming that sceptics have used to bolster their arguments. Sceptics had claimed we have nothing to fear from climate change because it has stopped being a problem.

A new study has found that global temperatures have not flat-lined over the past 15 years, as weather station records have been suggesting, but have in fact continued to rise as fast as previous decades, during which we have seen an unprecedented acceleration in global warming.

The findings will undermine the arguments of leading sceptics, such as the former Chancellor Lord Lawson, who have criticised scientists from the Met Office and other climate organisations for not accepting that global warming has stopped since about 1998.

Two university scientists have found that the “pause” or “hiatus” in global temperatures can be largely explained by a failure of climate researchers to record the dramatic rise in Arctic temperatures over the past decade or more.

When Kevin Cowtan of York University and Robert Way of Ottawa University found a way of estimating Arctic temperatures from satellite readings, the so-called pause effectively disappeared and the global warming signal returned as strong as before.

The paucity of surface-temperature records in the remote and inaccessible Arctic has long been recognised as a problem for global estimates, not least by the Met Office itself.

However, the scale of the Arctic warming highlighted by Mr Cowtan and Mr Way has surprised seasoned climate researchers.

“The problem with the polar areas lacking data coverage has been known for a long time, but I think this study has basically solved it,” said Stefan Rahmstorf of the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research in Germany.

He added: “People will argue about the details, as is normal in science, but I think basically this will hold up to scrutiny.”
                        Last edited by johnnya24; 11-17-2013, 09:54 PM.

Comment

So another crazy winter ... seems like extreme weather practically every year nowadays.

I sure as hell hope these patterns are being exacerbated by natural variance or we're all fucked.

I've seen more snow in the last 6/7 years than I've seen in my entire life before that. This winter it seems like one long massive non-stop storm.

Comment

Minnesota is famous for being cold, no news there, but this last 10-12 days is the coldest I've ever experienced in my 45 years. Usually in the city we manage to hold a good 10 degrees warmer than the surrounding suburbs and outstate but even in the city we managed to get down to -25 a couple nights ago without even factoring in wind chill. I'm with you Johnny, this shit needs to stop or we aren't prepared to deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Funkley View Post
                              Minnesota is famous for being cold, no news there, but this last 10-12 days is the coldest I've ever experienced in my 45 years. Usually in the city we manage to hold a good 10 degrees warmer than the surrounding suburbs and outstate but even in the city we managed to get down to -25 a couple nights ago without even factoring in wind chill. I'm with you Johnny, this shit needs to stop or we aren't prepared to deal with it.
                              You guys have been getting all the snow and freezing weather. Over this side of the Atlantic it's just constant gale force storms and crazy tidal surges ... since late November.

Comment

Working...
                              X