"Going for it" trade question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Going for it" trade question

In 2nd in AL only, need wins mostly but also hitting cats. Could trade Springer $1A and Rondon $8A for two out of too-expensive-to-keep Garza, Weaver, Rios. Should I take it? I think I have enough other keepers for next tear, but these could be among my better ones. Which two?

Rios for sure. I'm not sure which pitcher, though; neither has been that good lately IIRC. Weaver is normally the better choice, but his bullpen has been inflammatory lately. OTOH, Garza has not been any great shakes recently. Coin flip.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
      Rios for sure. I'm not sure which pitcher, though; neither has been that good lately IIRC. Weaver is normally the better choice, but his bullpen has been inflammatory lately. OTOH, Garza has not been any great shakes recently. Coin flip.
      i agree, with a slight preference for Garza (personal bias, not statistically based)
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
        Not true. Until his last start where he got crushed, Weaver had 7-2 record, 1.72 ERA and 0.96 WHIP in 9 starts from June 27-Aug 9.

I'd definitely do the deal with Weaver, and depending if you need more help with pitching, either Garza or Rios. If you took Weaver + Garza, who would they replace? Who does Rios replace?

Comment

Depending on if I make any other trades it'd shake out something like this:

Rios --> Urrutia, Stubbs, Joyce, Arcia
          Garza/Weaver --> Cecil, Ogando (inj?), S Gray, J Cosart

Trying to get Soriano in a separate deal to bolster OF, and I have Desmond Jennings coming back soon too to bump one of those OFs.

Comment

For as good as Rios is, he has all of 2 HRs since the middle of May (albeit with 20 SBs), so I think I'd go with Weaver + Garza if you can make up points in Ks.

Comment

There are a bunch of hitting categories that are pretty close between a few teams.
              I need to protect some points in SBs, probably.
              I can stand to gain up to 5 or so pts in wins, so that's a big target.
              Saves I could gain or lose a couple.
              K's I'm in the middle of a pack of 3 teams.

Wins is my biggest target, but shoring up some offense would be good as well...

Comment

Working...
              X