*** VD 8 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *** VD 8 Commentary Thread ***

So what are we thinking for the next draft? Couple of possibilities that have been raised:

* Re-do of VD 7 with a couple of tweaks.
    * 1920-2012 draft using only players who weren't drafted in this one
    * 1920-1969 draft

I'd vote for the third option. Second choice would be re-do using players who weren't drafted. I think part of the reason VD 7 was so fun and challenging is that it was a new pool of players (or a much more limited one, I should say), so there weren't established values and it wasn't immediately clear what strategies people were taking (even to the ones trying them out). A straight re-do doesn't seem as fun, but that's me.

Thoughts?

Third option ... 1920-69

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
      So what are we thinking for the next draft? Couple of possibilities that have been raised:

* Re-do of VD 7 with a couple of tweaks.
      * 1920-2012 draft using only players who weren't drafted in this one
      * 1920-1969 draft

I'd vote for the third option. Second choice would be re-do using players who weren't drafted. I think part of the reason VD 7 was so fun and challenging is that it was a new pool of players (or a much more limited one, I should say), so there weren't established values and it wasn't immediately clear what strategies people were taking (even to the ones trying them out). A straight re-do doesn't seem as fun, but that's me.

Thoughts?
      I was originally thinking I'd like a redraft from the same pool, but I do think that drafting from a new pool of players without established values makes for the most interesting drafts. So I guess I'd vote for 2 or 3, but option 1 would be ok too since it wouldn't take much prep
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        I was originally thinking I'd like a redraft from the same pool, but I do think that drafting from a new pool of players without established values makes for the most interesting drafts. So I guess I'd vote for 2 or 3, but option 1 would be ok too since it wouldn't take much prep
        So just to clarify ... you'll take 2 and 3, and also 1

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          Sorry, I'm just high maintenance
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

We could also think of doing away with saves for a 1920-1969 draft. They're out there but fairly scarce.

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
              We could also think of doing away with saves for a 1920-1969 draft. They're out there but fairly scarce.
              I'd be OK with leaving saves off ... is there another obvious non-ratio pitching category we could replace it with. It would be better to keep the 5x5 balance between hitting and pitching.

Comment

3 is ok

Comment

I say we leave saves. Makes for interesting strategy and alters valuations.
                  "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                  "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

I'd be OK with leaving saves off ... is there another obvious non-ratio pitching category we could replace it with. It would be better to keep the 5x5 balance between hitting and pitching.
                    Some ideas: BB/K ratio, ERA+, Innings pitched

Comment

I have to be out on this one. Personal problems.
                      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

that's pretty much where I am as well.
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                          that's pretty much where I am as well.
                          TS Garp is going to have problems

Comment

I'm traveling to SoCal tomorrow through Friday. If you have to start before Friday, count me out. If not, I'm in.
                            "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                            "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Originally posted by Long John View Post
                              I'm traveling to SoCal tomorrow through Friday. If you have to start before Friday, count me out. If not, I'm in.
                              We won't be starting before Friday ... we don't even know what we're doing yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X