*** VD 8 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    We won't be starting before Friday ... we don't even know what we're doing yet.
    First Poll created...
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
      So what are we thinking for the next draft? Couple of possibilities that have been raised:

* Re-do of VD 7 with a couple of tweaks.
      * 1920-2012 draft using only players who weren't drafted in this one
      * 1920-1969 draft

I'd vote for the third option. Second choice would be re-do using players who weren't drafted. I think part of the reason VD 7 was so fun and challenging is that it was a new pool of players (or a much more limited one, I should say), so there weren't established values and it wasn't immediately clear what strategies people were taking (even to the ones trying them out). A straight re-do doesn't seem as fun, but that's me.

Thoughts?
      I think the other poll indicates we need a poll for this. We probably also need a poll of who is going to participate.
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        I think the other poll indicates we need a poll for this. We probably also need a poll of who is going to participate.
        So...how do you make a poll anyway ? I tried to create a new thread and clicked to make a poll, but it didn't show up in the post preview and there was no where to put the options
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

if you click the make a poll box, you then have to submit the thread (as if you were done and posting it) and the poll screen will come up. It is kind of counter intuitive.

Comment

At some point last night, while watching the 700 kids in my cousin's HS graduating class be called one by one up to receive their mock diplomas, I found myself musing... "This seems like a surprisingly disproportionate amount of kids with last names beginning with N." My dad sitting next to me didn't share my enthusiasm for the statistical curiosity. I told him... if there's one thing I know it is the proportions of last initials across a population...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
              At some point last night, while watching the 700 kids in my cousin's HS graduating class be called one by one up to receive their mock diplomas, I found myself musing... "This seems like a surprisingly disproportionate amount of kids with last names beginning with N." My dad sitting next to me didn't share my enthusiasm for the statistical curiosity. I told him... if there's one thing I know it is the proportions of last initials across a population...
              Were there any kids named Xavier or Young with high GPA's and great SAT scores ?
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I've already sent a memo to myself dated 2040:

To: Me

Re-evaluate the value of N.

... I'm a foreign national, my ex-business partner lived in Pakistan, and I use(d) gmail ... if I forget my password I can always just ask the NSA.

Comment

Zachary Heinemann was one of the 6 (yes, there were 6, why not just give it to everyone?) valedictorians in the class. but that's a draft of a different nature.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                    Zachary Heinemann was one of the 6 (yes, there were 6, why not just give it to everyone?) valedictorians in the class. but that's a draft of a different nature.
                    That sounds like our entire education system. Quality be damned, let everyone have a go. I went to my niece's sports day last week. It was just a succession of relay races that everyone had to participate in.

Comment

I've already sent a memo to myself dated 2040:
                      To: Me
                      Re-evaluate the value of N.

... I'm a foreign national, my ex-business partner lived in Pakistan, and I use(d) gmail ... if I forget my password I can always just ask the NSA.
                      This is the kind of pre-draft planning that I never think to do...

Comment

No appreciation for the finer points of life...
                        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

I agree with El D, all that terrorist and spying talk is exhausting...let's get VD8 rolling.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

So is option 2 really a suggestion or a typo? Should it be 1970-2012?

* Re-do of VD 7 with a couple of tweaks.
                            * 1920-2012 draft using only players who weren't drafted in this one
                            * 1920-1969 draft

Comment

It would be better if we just suggest one of the options or this will go nowhere.

I'll take 1920-69 ... but I don't really care.

Comment

It would be better if we just suggest one of the options or this will go nowhere.

I'll take 1920-69 ... but I don't really care.
                                In... but I really like the redraft with reduced player pool idea at some point.

Comment

Working...
                                X