Verizon Customer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
    While I do think my team is better, I had the same "they must have good reasons" fears under Bush and Cheney. I was never entirely comfortable railing against the Patriot Act and government surveillance methods because of what I don't know about the nature of the threats.
    Do you think it is time to re-assess the entire constitution since we live in such dangerous times ?
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    ---------------------------------------------
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      Do you think it is time to re-assess the entire constitution since we live in such dangerous times ?
      As you know from past debates around here, I've never been one to view the Constitution as a static document that can be applied based on "plain language" or "original intent", but rather that it has to constantly be evaluated and interpreted as the world changes. I think we need to re-assess how the 4th Amendment applies to modern day digitial communications, and that part of that analysis has to consider the balance between security and privacy concerns in modern times, yes. I do not mean to suggest even remotely that I think security concerns should always trump privacy concerns. But I think the balance has to be considered.

Comment

While I do think my team is better, I had the same "they must have good reasons" fears under Bush and Cheney. I was never entirely comfortable railing against the Patriot Act and government surveillance methods because of what I don't know about the nature of the threats.
        yep, I clearly remember you taking this stance

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
          agreed.

but i'd still take him over GWB. no question.
          "Better than George W. Bush" should never be an acceptable measure of what is acceptable.
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

As it turns out, some of their reasons weren't all that good. And while most of us are probably not as concerned about what an Obama administration might do with Patriot Act surveillance weapons, that's really not the issue. The issue is - what will the *next* George W. Bush do with Patriot Act surveillance weapons that Obama is currently legitimizing?

This kind of broad surveillance is no doubt useful in minimizing terrorist threats. So would be any number of other constitutionally dubious measures.
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

I see that Verizon has issued a statement of "no comment." Is anyone else curious why they've been going along with this since 2006 with no discernable objection? I wonder what the fallout will be for them?

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                I see that Verizon has issued a statement of "no comment." Is anyone else curious why they've been going along with this since 2006 with no discernable objection? I wonder what the fallout will be for them?
                They do what they're told like the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                  They'll collect $150 for every person that attempts to cancel their contract. Profit engine for them!

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                    They do what they're told like the rest.
                    Wait, I thought Corporate America controlled the government. Which is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                      They'll collect $150 for every person that attempts to cancel their contract. Profit engine for them!
                      And they'll probably report everybody who cancels to the NSA. I mean, these people must have something to hide, am I right?

Comment

If you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about!

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                          That's a counterproductive argument isn't it?
                          it wasn't really an argument, but a statement, since the thread seemed to have the potential of veering into comparisons (as so many threads here have). a'la "you were squawking when GWB did it and now, look, you're guy is doing it too."

True, but irrelevant. All citizens need to speak up when our government goes off course regardless of political party.
                          relevant, i think, in the broader discussion. but i fully agree with the second sentence.

i pointed out in my first response that this thing is ridiculous. the patriot act is one of the worst pieces of governmental action to ever be foisted on the american people, and i'm ashamed and appalled that the obama administration has not only not gotten rid of it, but expanded it.
                          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                            If you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about!
                            The Gestapo had a similar saying

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                              It does make you wonder how this will play out with every senator knowing about this. I can't see how this helps any incumbent. They are just fortunate this is an off year for elections.
                              well that didn't take long ...

WASHINGTON—The Republican chairman of the House of Representatives Intelligence committee says the federal government's ongoing search of telephone records thwarted an attempted terrorist attack in the United States in the last few years.

Congressman Mike Rogers defended the telephone records collection at a news conference on Thursday. He said the information culled from the records enabled U.S. authorities to stop a “significant case.”

He declined to provide additional details but said he was in touch with U.S. officials about providing more information.
                              Secret collection of phone records foiled terror attack in U.S., says lawmaker
                              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                                And the people will lap it up ...

Comment

Working...
                                X