Verizon Customer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

EMERGENCY ACTION: THE GUARDIAN JUST EXPOSED A MASSIVE GOVERNMENT SPYING PROGRAM

A leaked court document obtained by The Guardian, and since reported on by numerous news outlets, has exposed that the government is spying on Americans.

Using the Patriot Act, the U.S. government has been secretly tracking the calls of every Verizon Business Network Services customer—to whom they spoke, from where, and for how long—for the past 41 days.

Verizon Business Network Services is one of the nation’s largest telecommunications and internet providers for corporations, so this could apply to the calls of millions of Americans.

What we don't know yet is how many other telecommunications companies have been issued similar orders by the government or what the scope of the government's program is.

In 2012, Sens. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) and Mark Udall (D-Colo.) wrote, “When the American people find out how their government has secretly interpreted the Patriot Act, they are going to be stunned and they are going to be angry.”

It's time to get angry. Be part of a strong public outcry against this program by signing the petition immediately and telling your friends so they know what's happening in this country.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
        This is certainly not an area about which I'm thrilled with the Obama Administration, although as I've said here before on national security/intelligence/transparency matters, I do fear what types of threats caused the president to veer so significantly from what I still believe he truly hoped to be able to do differently when he was campaigning for office.
        I think it's more fear of something happening on his watch. In an ideal world it shouldn't be this way. Weigh security vs. civil freedoms, but if I'm going to be blamed if something happens then screw personal freedom.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
          I think it's more fear of something happening on his watch. In an ideal world it shouldn't be this way. Weigh security vs. civil freedoms, but if I'm going to be blamed if something happens then screw personal freedom.
          But then be the President of transparency you said you were going to be. Tell the American people, "Look here's what I feel necessary to ensure our nation's safety." Let's have a public debate about this, so people can tell their elected official where the line is.

I understand the need for stepped up security, but there has to be a line where we do not cross, or we are no better than those who we condemn.
          "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
          - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
          - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

thanks for that link, heye. this is ridiculous.
            "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

This story broke yesterday morning ... which is why I found it weird no-one had posted on it yet.

If every senator knows about this, how the hell did they keep it from getting out for so long? The amount of power they must wield over the media is staggering.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                But then be the President of transparency you said you were going to be. Tell the American people, "Look here's what I feel necessary to ensure our nation's safety." Let's have a public debate about this, so people can tell their elected official where the line is.

I understand the need for stepped up security, but there has to be a line where we do not cross, or we are no better than those who we condemn.
                +1.

I wasn't excusing it by any measure.

Comment

I think too many people are looking to make excuses for Obama. It's one thing after another.

Comment

+1.

I wasn't excusing it by any measure.
                    I didn't take your post as approval.

It does make you wonder how this will play out with every senator knowing about this. I can't see how this helps any incumbent. They are just fortunate this is an off year for elections.
                    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                      I think too many people are looking to make excuses for Obama. It's one thing after another.
                      The "He must have a good reason" crowd is really starting to piss me off. FFS, people, stop being willfully ignorant. Pull your lips off his sac for a second, open your eyes, and see what's going on. This Verizon stuff is obscene. It was shit under the last administration, and it's shit now. Anyone who can't unequivocally say that really ought to to consider who and what they're protecting, and why. Shame on every partisan slave who rails against this garbage when the other guys do it, but sits quietly by and accepts it when their guys are doing the same damned thing. If you think your team is better, fine, but take some responsibility and call them out when they are obviously doing wrong.

I expect this garbage from the major political parties, but I really get depressed when I consider how badly the press and the general citizenry in this country have abdicated their responsibililties when it comes to keeping the government honest.
                      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

agreed.

but i'd still take him over GWB. no question.
                        "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

This story broke yesterday morning ... which is why I found it weird no-one had posted on it yet.

I am pleasantly surprised that this thread has got so much attention. I pretty much assume that stuff like this is not going to get anyone excited around here.
                          ---------------------------------------------
                          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                            Shame on every partisan slave who rails against this garbage when the other guys do it, but sits quietly by and accepts it when their guys are doing the same damned thing. If you think your team is better, fine, but take some responsibility and call them out when they are obviously doing wrong.
                            While I do think my team is better, I had the same "they must have good reasons" fears under Bush and Cheney. I was never entirely comfortable railing against the Patriot Act and government surveillance methods because of what I don't know about the nature of the threats.

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                              agreed.

That's a counterproductive argument isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                                agreed.

True, but irrelevant. All citizens need to speak up when our government goes off course regardless of political party.
                                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X