No announcement yet.

It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I saw A Star is Born yesterday - better than I expected; extremely well acted (Gaga is as good as advertised), and the music scenes are really well done.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      Ok, I hate to admit it, but you totally effin lost me with this one.
      “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
        Ok, I hate to admit it, but you totally effin lost me with this one.
        it's probably british or something.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
          it's probably british or something.
          Are you TRYING to start another war with them? Go back and effin capitalize British!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
            Are you TRYING to start another war with them? Go back and effin capitalize British!!
            i had every letter capitalized and RJ made them all lowercase.
            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
              i had every letter capitalized and RJ made them all lowercase.
              So you're the tag team partner that throws the other partner under the bus? I always had you figured as a "face" not a "heel".

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                I saw A Star is Born yesterday - better than I expected; extremely well acted (Gaga is as good as advertised), and the music scenes are really well done.
                Saw it yesterday as well. I liked it quite a bit - great acting, great songs, pretty moving story. The only thing that kept it from being truly great was that it's a pretty familiar story (even besides it being a remake) - famous guy plucks someone out of nowhere, makes her famous, has his own issues, etc. They really did a good job of depicting the struggles of alcoholism in this one - not just some dude pounding shots at a bar but the more subtle bad decisions one can make that lead to the spiral.

I'm having a hard time deciding who I want to win Best Picture on Sunday. I've seen 5 out of the 8 now (A Star Is Born, Roma, The Favourite, Bohemian Rhapsody, and Black Kkklansman) and The Favourite was my uhhh favorite but I just have a hard time seeing it win. I keep hearing Roma is the one to beat - and I know Hollywood loves to honor great film making over the crowd pleasers - but it just rang a little flat for me. Oh well, maybe we'll get some better movies in 2019.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                  Ha, just saw it tonight as well. Amazing! Rami Malek WAS Freddie Mercury! If he doesn’t win Best Actor it would be insane.
                  And Rami Malek is the Academy Award winner for Best Actor. Well deserved!
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    Green Book was phenomenal, best movie of the year IMO.
                    Nailed it!
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Nailed it!
                      Man, I have heard such a wide range of opinion on this movie, it'll be interesting to see what I end up thinking of it. Won't be out on DVD for another few weeks though

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                        Man, I have heard such a wide range of opinion on this movie, it'll be interesting to see what I end up thinking of it. Won't be out on DVD for another few weeks though
                        I find it very amusing that the critics slammed both Bohemian Rhapsody for not being gay enough, and The Green Book for not being woke enough, yet both won major awards, thereby exposing how irrelevant their criticisms are.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Comment

I find it very amusing that the critics slammed both Bohemian Rhapsody for not being gay enough, and The Green Book for not being woke enough, yet both won major awards, thereby exposing how irrelevant their criticisms are.
                          You think the criticisms of Green Book are irrelevant? Would that be all criticisms, or those levied by the family of the Ali character? I think historical accuracy needs to be a more crucial element of these types of feel-good black success story cookie cutter movies for them to succeed. I loved Hidden Figures, and it seemed to carry the weight of the historical re-telling with appropriate gravity.

I haven't seen it, but I've seen a lot of analysis of some of the more questionable aspects of the film. I hate oscar bait movies in general, but this one seems particularly problematic. I'm surprised you seem to enjoy and endorse it.
                          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Also, you guys have faith in the institution of the Oscars to validate which films are good or not? I find they're a better source of evaluation than the Grammys or the Ru Paul's Drag Race panel... but not by much.
                            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• I honestly don't really care what most critics think, and the movie was excellent. I read one and found its claims to be mostly whining, just as the one I read for Bohemian Rhapsody (both after I saw the movies). The dynamic between the characters was not the white savior. Throughout they both had moments of saving each other. How is that Oscar bait? I'm not even sure what that means.

I have zero faith in the Oscars, the GOAT (2001: A Space Odyssey) wasn't even nominated. And just two years ago they blew it by choosing Moonlight over Hell or High Water. But they do sometimes get it right. For the first time in my life I'd actually seen every single nominee for best pic and I think Green Book was deserving. As was Black Panther but I figured that wouldn't win.
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

• We just finished Gerald's Game. Excellent acting.

Carla Gugino was amazing. Kept us on the edge of our seats the whole time. Some parts were a rough watch, but worth it.

One of the better movies I have seen in awhile.

Comment

Working...
                                X