It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    Stan & Ollie -- Really well cast. Like unbelievably well cast. But besides marveling at how well the actors portrayed their real-life counterparts -- maybe even resurrected them, they were that good -- the actual movie was on the boring side. Too bad. If the movie was really good, both Michael C. Reilly and Steve Coogan would be up for Oscars. They still might be.
    I also just watched "Stan and Ollie". And i agree about it having great acting along with a ho-hum story. But, i still enjoyed the historical aspect of the movie and learned a few things about them that i didn't know before.

And staying with the comedy movie pioneers theme, after all these years, i finally watched "Chaplin" with Robert Downey Jr from 1992. Better late than never. Downey simply became Charlie Chaplin for this movie. He should have won the Oscar for his performance. And i was surprised to find that there was a lot more to Charlie than just being a movie star. And i think that is what made it such an interesting movie. Another good performance was turned in by Geraldine Chaplin, Charlie's real-life daughter, who played Charlie's mother in the movie. If you ignored it like i did all these years because you thought it was going to be a snooze fest. I encourage you to give it a chance and watch it. I think you will be surprised.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
      I also just watched "Stan and Ollie". And i agree about it having great acting along with a ho-hum story. But, i still enjoyed the historical aspect of the movie and learned a few things about them that i didn't know before.
      Yeah, we found ourselves Googling and Wiki’ing more about Laurel & Hardy than actually watching the movie. My wife found photos of their wives and the actresses were like doubles. I see it got good reviews, which is good because it wasn’t a bad movie by any means. But with the amazing cast, it could have been so much better if the storyline was better. It was a BBC produced film and I’ve read that their movies are typically documentary-style, so that may be a reason why it was kinda blah.

I thought there were two great scenes — the beginning, where a camera follows them "Scorsese-style" walking through Paramount to their set, and the final scene, where you were an eyewitness to history as an all-time great comedy duo knew they were doing their final performance.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        What six-part series?
        I just meant the format. I would have liked a short run series on Costner and Harrelson's characters rather than just the movie.

I'm also pro 6-10 episode series rather than a 12-16 one. There was always a few throw away episodes in the Netflix Marvel series... 6-10 seems like the right amount of development and story pacing.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Booksmart is hilarious, highly recommended.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
            Booksmart is hilarious, highly recommended.
            Co-sign. The female version of Superbad with a slightly more serious tone and a more thoughtful overarching message.

Comment

• John Wick 3 was not excellent.

I very much enjoyed the first two. This one was just too over the top. Some of the fight scenes lasted too long and some were too far out even in John Wick World. One should not get bored with fight scenes.

All was not lost. There were some fun scenes and new tricks. It was okay but I wanted it to be exceelent and it was not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                John Wick 3 was not excellent.

I very much enjoyed the first two. This one was just too over the top. Some of the fight scenes lasted too long and some were too far out even in John Wick World. One should not get bored with fight scenes.

All was not lost. There were some fun scenes and new tricks. It was okay but I wanted it to be exceelent and it was not.
                Did he eat a burger during in the movie?
                “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

John Wick 3 was not excellent.

I have a friend who is into the franchise and could not believe I'd never seen the first two.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

I have a friend.
                    Excellent!!!

Comment

• Rocketman was good, not great. Think Bohemian Rhapsody meets La La Land.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

Rocketman was good, not great. Think Bohemian Rhapsody meets La La Land.
                        Well, according to the title of the thread, you shouldn't be posting this.

#NoMoreHijackingThreads

Comment

I very much enjoyed Hell or High Water.

I think I put Highwaymen one tick above it. Which is high praise for both movies.
                          It was decent, but not on same level as Hell or High Water IMO.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                            Co-sign. The female version of Superbad with a slightly more serious tone and a more thoughtful overarching message.
                            I loved Booksmart. Very authentic feeling characters for the most part. Loved the fact that they were straight edge characters, motivated purely by their friendships and crushes. Any drugs or drinking was accidental or coincidental.
                            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Has anybody made it out to Yesterday? It's the new Beatles nostalgia movie about an event that wipes everyone's memory of The Beatles, except for one struggling musician. A little "what if" alternate history thinkpiece. Would the Beatles music necessarily stand out in the same way, 50 years later?

Quantum Leap has a shorter and more concise extrapolation of this idea. He travels into his own body, in the past, and to convince his sister that it's really him from the future, he plays her John Lennon's 'Imagine', which would of course scare the hell out of anybody if it hadn't yet been made.

However, many many of the songs used in the film are somewhat unremarkable. More of the jangly pop rock, less of the moving stunners. Outside of 'Let It Be', there isn't too much that I felt would translate today, but my wife says that it's a licensing/cost issue and I should just be happy, so I pretty much am. I give this wholly positive review as less of a Beatles fan than most. Oh, and take your wife. It's written by Richard Curtis (Notting Hill, Love Actually). I took my wife and 12 year old daughter, felt sad graduating fully to adult movies.
                              Last edited by Teenwolf; 07-05-2019, 10:47 PM.
                              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                                Has anybody made it out to Yesterday? It's the new Beatles nostalgia movie about an event that wipes everyone's memory of The Beatles, except for one struggling musician. A little "what if" alternate history thinkpiece. Would the Beatles music necessarily stand out in the same way, 50 years later?

Quantum Leap has a shorter and more concise extrapolation of this idea. He travels into his own body, in the past, and to convince his sister that it's really him from the future, he plays her John Lennon's 'Imagine', which would of course scare the hell out of anybody if it hadn't yet been made.

However, many many of the songs used in the film are somewhat unremarkable. More of the jangly pop rock, less of the moving stunners. Outside of 'Let It Be', there isn't too much that I felt would translate today, but my wife says that it's a licensing/cost issue and I should just be happy, so I pretty much am. I give this wholly positive review as less of a Beatles fan than most. Oh, and take your wife. It's written by Richard Curtis (Notting Hill, Love Actually). I took my wife and 12 year old daughter, felt sad graduating fully to adult movies.
                                Your Daughter is 12!! That went fast!

Comment

Working...
                                X