Page 198 of 198 FirstFirst ... 98148188196197198
Results 1,971 to 1,977 of 1977

Thread: It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid Steve 2.0's Avatar
    We watched Red Notice the other day and were thoroughly entertained.
    “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
    We watched Red Notice the other day and were thoroughly entertained.
    Mrs. Gregg watched it with our 10 year old Grandson and enjoyed it very much.

So much so that she suggested we watch it last Monday. I too was thoroughly entertained. Lots of fun.

Journeyman
    Watched Shang Chi and the......10 Rings or whatever it's called on Disney+. That one was fucking awesome. As good as the top tier Marvel movies. Loved it very muchly.
    One day, just like a miracle, windmill cancer will disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    Finally saw "No Time to Die" with my kids yesterday. While it was overly long (almost 3 hours!) and much darker than usual (a child used as a hostage, little of Bond's trademark dry humor), it was a somewhat enjoyable end to Daniel Craig's tenure as Bond. While there are a couple of very large shocks, the film stays true to the Bond formula, is pretty much a sequel to 2015's SPECTRE, and is more like the mid 1960s Bonds than any other in recent memory -- a disfigured villain and his henchmen trying to kill the world, for no apparent reason, from a remote island lair, a double agent, Blofeld & SPECTRE, and the usual key Bond props (a tricked out Aston Martin returns, a Q-designed secret weapon, a plane/sub), even a key phrase borrowed straight from 1969's "On Her Majesty's Secret Service." But it was missing a few key elements, like little in the way of the beautiful Bond girls, no memorable villain deaths or even a memorable key henchman/woman, and the usual amazing opening scene disappeared. Much of the film was a (now very) common shoot 'em out, and this film had far more killing than any Bond I can remember.

And to borrow the right's phrase, you can smell the "wokeness" -- no more casual sex, a new black female 007, a black Miss Moneypenny, and Q is gay? I certainly can appreciate some diversity, as much of the canon has lacked it, but it seems a little jammed down your throat here. I wonder if this diversity is leading to a major change, probably to Bond himself (or herself?)

And despite the long length, my kids liked it and didn't get too fidgety.

I'd give it a 7.25 out of 10.
    My wife once said that a Black man could never be a spy in real life because Black men are the most highly scrutinized group, but I also hear her saying things like "there's no way any Black or Asian people would live in this place or time, but I'm happy with the diverse casting regardless." So it goes both ways.

I think you need to realize this new "wokeness" isn't a passing trend, and we either accept and embrace it, or be passed by. I'd rather just accept that diversity is a truer depiction of reality than the former Hollywood straight+white dominated industry. As much as our perception is that all the leads should be white, or all the Black's in the horror movies die, or whatever racist/sexist stereotypes we've become familiar with have really caused a lot of damage. So even if I think the level of diversity casting or woke hat-tips are unrealistic, I'm okay with films paying that price of admission. There are clever or meaningful ways to interweave diverse casting with storyline, and there are clumsy ways to shoehorn it in. I expect most mainstream big budget Hollywood movies to perform quite poorly at making these woke elements seem organic to the story for several years until they get the hang of it.
    "My favourite is when Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi say "we need a strong Republican party." And I'm like, "um, well, I don’t. Not sure why you do." And then I realized why they do need a strong Republican party. Because if there was no Republican party, even if you were a fan of the Democrats, you would be like "hey, now what's holding you back from doing good policy if there's no opposition?" Because they'd be revealed as frauds." - Judah Friedlander

I enjoyed Belfast save for the last 15 minutes or so. I'd love to hear Johnny's take.

Eternals was great.

Ghostbusters was fun but they could've made the final showdown a bit more dramatic.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Hall of Famer
    We just finished the most excellent 1940 film The Shop Around the Corner.

James Stewart, Margaret Sullivan and Frank Morgan.

Very entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Teenwolf View Post
    My wife once said that a Black man could never be a spy in real life because Black men are the most highly scrutinized group, but I also hear her saying things like "there's no way any Black or Asian people would live in this place or time, but I'm happy with the diverse casting regardless." So it goes both ways.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...